Spinnerait - G3 - Premier or STX ?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Markymarc
Angler
Angler

Spinnerait - G3 - Premier or STX ?

Post by Markymarc » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:36 pm

I want a new spinnerbait kit for the next season. Which is better for long casting ? Is the IVCB better for pitching short distance ? then I would take the STX.

Tkx
Marc

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Spinnerait - G3 - Premier or STX ?

Post by jeb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:19 am

You know, I don't think I've read a single review on the G3 Premier's yet. Interesting. I love the G2 Premiers, but I'm not a fan of the IVCB in my MGX. I've been throwing blades with my G3 STX some, on an 853 NRX. Seems to handle them just fine. We fish mostly clear water, so long casts are usually the rule and it does not disappoint.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:13 am

I think the problem with the G2 Premier was having little to improve upon. Some people complained about the durability of the finish, which I personally didn't experience, even laying them on the bare aluminum deck of my boat. My own personal point of contention was tolerances of the Abu vs Daiwa/Shimano, especially Daiwa tolerances.
I was able to use the IVCB Premier for most of the summer and I grew to respect it's performance and new configuration but the weight wasn't really an issue for me. After using the MGX and IVCB since Oct of 2011, I wasn't sure what the benefit of putting the different brake in the Premier would be. I mean, it was popular in Japan which should have helped in the Enthusiast market but it really didn't go over that well here in the States.
I think for spinnerbaits the G3 STX should do just fine. The dual braking system should provide a wide range of settings for a variety of spinnerbait weights and styles. There isn't much weight difference between the Premier and STX now.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:26 am

Johnny A wrote:I think the problem with the G2 Premier was having little to improve upon. Some people complained about the durability of the finish, which I personally didn't experience, even laying them on the bare aluminum deck of my boat. My own personal point of contention was tolerances of the Abu vs Daiwa/Shimano, especially Daiwa tolerances.
I was able to use the IVCB Premier for most of the summer and I grew to respect it's performance and new configuration but the weight wasn't really an issue for me. After using the MGX and IVCB since Oct of 2011, I wasn't sure what the benefit of putting the different brake in the Premier would be.
Agreed. It was such a great reel, that it was hard to improve on. Personally, I was hoping about all they'd do is put a harder finish on it and the thumb bar. That's all that it really needed. Now they've gone and messed with what made this such a great reel, the dual brakes. Just blows me away. IMO, they really screwed the pooch with that move. And while the Gen3 STX is a worthy substitute for it (cheaper too!), it does have more gear noise, where the Premier was almost always dead silent. Still, a very solid reel.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:15 am

jeb wrote:
Johnny A wrote:I think the problem with the G2 Premier was having little to improve upon. Some people complained about the durability of the finish, which I personally didn't experience, even laying them on the bare aluminum deck of my boat. My own personal point of contention was tolerances of the Abu vs Daiwa/Shimano, especially Daiwa tolerances.
I was able to use the IVCB Premier for most of the summer and I grew to respect it's performance and new configuration but the weight wasn't really an issue for me. After using the MGX and IVCB since Oct of 2011, I wasn't sure what the benefit of putting the different brake in the Premier would be.
Agreed. It was such a great reel, that it was hard to improve on. Personally, I was hoping about all they'd do is put a harder finish on it and the thumb bar. That's all that it really needed. Now they've gone and messed with what made this such a great reel, the dual brakes. Just blows me away. IMO, they really screwed the pooch with that move. And while the Gen3 STX is a worthy substitute for it (cheaper too!), it does have more gear noise, where the Premier was almost always dead silent. Still, a very solid reel.
The gear noise doesn't bother me as much Jeb. That noise and that tautness help me feel connected to the reel. It's sort of like driving a Lincoln Town Car, it just seems to float over the road, no feedback, I prefer the sports car feel.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:20 am

It doesn't bother me, either. But my point was that it's got more gear noise than the Gen2 Premier. The Gen2 Premier really gives up almost nothing to the Gen3 STX, except a tiny bit smaller package and weight. It is one ultra-smooth, very well rounded reel.