Core 100 is it a good strong reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Core 100 is it a good strong reel

Post by LPFC » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:29 pm

I'm thinking of getting a Core 100. I'm looking at the reel for moving baits. No finesse fishing in mind with this reel. I like the gear ratio and weight but I don't know how strong it would be for 1/2oz to 3/4 lures. Lures such as Colorado and Indiana spinnerbaits, squarebills, traps, spooks and lures of the like. I have a Calais 200A that I have used for such lures but I want something lighter.

So those of you that have one, could you answer a couple question please:
So is it strong. Like no or little flex to the body.
I hate when I feel a reel struggle to handle spinnerbaits with colorado or indiana blades. Can the 100 handle these lures without struggling
Could you say the quality is at least close to a Calais. IMHO the Calais is the finest reel made.

Any other comments are very welcome

I might sell my Calais to get a Core. My Calais is at Shimano for it's first cleaning. The free cleaning is a great benefit. I'm only selling it to get a lighter reel.

Thank you, Tony

chrisjr1981
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Core 100 is it a good strong reel

Post by chrisjr1981 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:03 am

its perfect for spinnerbaits and squarebills, it's fall and mine has been getting a lot of work and i love it. I think it's the perfect reel for those applications

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:08 am

I haven't notice any flex on fish to 6#s and I've chucked predominantly Big EZ on Owner Beast 6/0 1/4 oz belly weighted hooks. Thats beyond your 3/4 oz limit. It all handle 3/4 oz with a breeze as far as throwing the bait but I don't like it with 3/4 oz spinner baits because I prefer a lower gear ratio. Too much energy needed on my part to work that lure all day long. I've thrown 3/8 with ease and expect the 1/2 will be fine. I've also used strictly braid so mono may have provided a different experience with 3/4 oz. For strictly chucking SB I'd look for another reel. Preferably a Chronarch D, Curado or Zillion. Non MG metal reels feel better to me for moving baits and specially those with high resistance. Just my experience and yours and other may vary.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:23 am

Tony,

The Core is very rigid, but it is not a Calais. The Core will have a little more feel if you get what I am saying. It will handle heavier lures with no problem, but I think you would be happier with the Calais for your heavier spinnerbaits and other larger moving baits. I do use my Core for DD22's in some applications, but I prefer the Calais.

I like my Core for jigs and other bottom contact type applications. I also use it for jerkbaits and topwater where my wrist is getting a work out.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:51 am

If your wanting to throe spinner baits and lipless cranks at maximum distance, you may want to consider a reel that holds a little more line? :-k

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:39 pm

Thank you all for the great reviews/suggestions. Everytime I post a question I always get more out of it that I antisipate.

Garriga - I get what your saying. A big paddletail is less wear and tear on you than a SB with 5/6 colorodo's

Hog - Line capacity isn't something I thought of. So I checked the capacity and it will be good for the line I will use. Either 12lb Mono or a 10/40 braid

Bantam - You have me thinking I need the core for jerks and walk the dog lures. Those lures are 2 of my favorites to use. I have used a Calais 100 for jerks and it does put a beating on your wrists after a few hours. Besides the Calais 200A, I have 2 Calais 100A's and a Antares DC7. Love them all but they can beat you down, :lol:

Chris - it's good to know that it handles squarebills nicely. I throw a squarebill more than any other lure.

chrisjr1981
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chrisjr1981 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:33 pm

ya i don't know about heavy spinnerbaits but for 1/2 ounce and less i love it. its been my primary set up the last month.

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:22 pm

I would recommend keeping your calais. They are no longer in production and you may not be able to get another!

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:42 pm

quantum angler nt wrote:I would recommend keeping your calais. They are no longer in production and you may not be able to get another!
I just might. My season is almost over here in NJ anyway. I can save over the winter and have a Core for next season.

I'm only considering selling it because I have 2 Calais 100's and a Antares DC7

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:14 am

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. You can always buy another Core, but not another Calais!

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:50 am

I use my Core 100 primarily for spinnerbaits on a Loomis SBR 812 and it handles them well. I would say the performance of the Core is probably closer to the Chronarch D than to the Calais. I have both.
I would never sell the Calais. [-X I have just managed to buy one of the last remaining new 200A's in South Africa to join my 3 100A's. And they are selling them cheaper now as well. Equivalent of U$300 :big grin:

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:52 am

If you do decide to use the core, I'd go with the 100mg7. The 7:1 version has brass gears vs the others which have aluminum. The brass gears will be much better suited to your intended use.

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:48 pm

chrisjr1981 wrote:ya i don't know about heavy spinnerbaits but for 1/2 ounce and less i love it. its been my primary set up the last month.
I've used my Core 100MgFV for many different baits including 3/4oz. Sebile Finesse Spinnerbaits... it handles them without any problems but the Calais 200A is definitely the better option for those big resistance type lures. With cranks, the Core is great.
spookybaits wrote:If you do decide to use the core, I'd go with the 100mg7. The 7:1 version has brass gears vs the others which have aluminum. The brass gears will be much better suited to your intended use.
The brass gears are awesome