Ardent Edge

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Ardent Edge

Post by Pegasus » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:59 pm

Does anybody have an opinion or comment on this reel

Regards

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ardent Edge

Post by Gabriel » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:31 pm

What I am about to say will sound brutal but it is only my opinion of a reel I have never fished, or even held. I call em as I see em.

It has strange features that many other reels have and don't brag about. "Drag Tracking Technology" is standard on a Daiwa HSTA and some other Daiwa's. They never made a big deal over it because it isn't a big deal.

12 ABEC bearings. ABEC 3s? What about the spool? Not really a big deal because they are probably packed with grease.
Speaking of the spool, 3 bearings supporting it, kind of odd. No real advantage I can thin of. Just an extra bearing to take care of.

Centrifugal brakes are good in my book, should cast fine.
I think carbon fiber is an ugly finish, I don't know if it is made of carbon fiber, I can't tell.
Helical Aircraft-grade Aluminum Drive Gear, ok that sounds cool. Good gearing matters but with aluminum gears why is it almost 9oz? Kinda chunky for a reel with a carbon fiber finish. It's like a weighted carbon fiber shift knob on a car.

In my opinion there are better for less but if you only want to buy american you are limiting yourself.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:17 am

[quote="Gabriel"]What I am about to say will sound brutal but it is only my opinion of a reel I have never fished, or even held. I call em as I see em.

It has strange features that many other reels have and don't brag about. "Drag Tracking Technology" is standard on a Daiwa HSTA and some other Daiwa's. They never made a big deal over it because it isn't a big deal.

12 ABEC bearings. ABEC 3s? What about the spool? Not really a big deal because they are probably packed with grease.
Speaking of the spool, 3 bearings supporting it, kind of odd. No real advantage I can thin of. Just an extra bearing to take care of.

Centrifugal brakes are good in my book, should cast fine.
I think carbon fiber is an ugly finish, I don't know if it is made of carbon fiber, I can't tell.
Helical Aircraft-grade Aluminum Drive Gear, ok that sounds cool. Good gearing matters but with aluminum gears why is it almost 9oz? Kinda chunky for a reel with a carbon fiber finish. It's like a weighted carbon fiber shift knob on a car.

Hi Gabriel
Its not that I want to buy only American made , what else is out there for 300,00 no Shimano to speak of no Daiwa either you would have to go passed the 400.00 I am not real big fan of Abu Garcia either. I know its a strange reel
and I don't know what to make of it either probably I will never buy it I was just trying to get input from other people if you have any suggestions please let me know

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:06 pm

Daiwa Zillions are comparable in the $320 range which is what the Edge retails at. I would start there. The original and the Coastal are both in the Edges range. The Luna fits in here as well.

Zillions can be had for $300 shipped so I think they are the closest competition you can find. The Core 100 and Calcutta D 200 would be a competitor with the Edge at only about $20 more than the Edge's retail. Calcutta TE is on sale on Tacklewarehouse for $350.

The Quantum KVD Tour series is also in this range. I am not a Quantum fan myself but it is their top of the line.

Though not as much diversity as the $400-$650 range the $300-$350 is a lot more diverse than you might think.

Lightning
Angler
Angler

Post by Lightning » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:20 pm

The edge reels are solid and much better than the xs1000's. They cast a mile, the drags are also great. Some will complain about the weight there are definitely lighter reels. I have 3 of the edge elite reels and they are much better than my , bps and revos. 3 year warranty is also nice. I had a problem one time with my drag on my xs1000 sent it in and ardent had it back to me in less than a week including the ship days. Awesome service and another reason I spent my money on the elites. I like service and quality and ardents got both.