Cranking power on low profile BC

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Cranking power on low profile BC

Post by Marcos82 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:28 am

Hi guys,

I own a Revo SX 6.4:1 and when retrieving big heavy crankbait with big lips I sometimes would like more torque or power in my reel. Is the Revo SX considered a "powerfull" reel amongst low profile baitcasters? From the out side it looks like it has big gears. Does it match shimano low profile reel with HEG?

Which is in your opinion the low profile baitcaster with the most cranking power out there???

Thanks!!!

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Cranking power on low profile BC

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:32 am

lower gear ratio and lower IPT would be more powerful...as well as an all metal frame like the Daiwa Zillion Crazy Cranker.

jtakeman
Angler
Angler

Post by jtakeman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:46 am

The 3 that I own are the Abu Winch, Shimano Chronarch and the Daiwa Zillion. All 3 handle big baits and deep divers fine. But the least amount of strain on me is the winch with the low gear(low IPT) and long opower handle. I also own a BPS PQ with 4.7:1 gears and it also does fine with medium baits. I don't feel it can handle monster baits(because of its non metal side cover) as well as the others mentioned.

I suppose you could add longer power handles to any reel for more cranking power.
Last edited by jtakeman on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:11 am

I have put longer a longer handle on my 6.4:1 Revo and they just don't have the power of other reels I own. My 201E7 Shimanos feel much more powerful than any of my 6.4 or 7:1 Revos. Obviously it is just gear design, given the Revo has a metal frame and gear side plate while the E7's have only an aluminum frame and graphite side plates. Frankly, my old B series 6.2:1 Curados seem more powerful than the Revos.
Of course, a lower geared reel should perform better for large divers, but sometimes the fish want a faster retrieve and catching up to a hard charging fish can be a chore with a 5:1 reel.
The Revo's strong points are casting distance and smoothness, but definitely not power, IMO.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:13 pm

Just to go along with the long handle idea. I switched the handle on a T3 Ballistic to a HLC which is 90mm and it made a difference in everything except the deep divers. Grant it I have the 7.1 gear ratio but I figured if my 50th Zillion could handle them then why not the Ballistic. Some reels have it with higher gear ratios and others don't not 100% sure why though.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:38 pm

Gear ratio, gear ratio, gear ratio...

5.1 or lower. My CC has more power then the Winch I had owned. Overkill for a DT16 but sweet with the 3/4 oz Single Colorado spinnerbaits. Never thrown a DD22 but how these handled the DT16 I'd go with the 4.9 for something bigger. If you really want to do it up then the Ryoga kills the others with ease. Overkill for most bass techs, however but I love mine anyways. :)

jtakeman
Angler
Angler

Post by jtakeman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:04 pm

Something I have been meaning to try is putting the 4.7:1 gears from the BPS PQ into the Winch just to see if it adds anymore power. Not that the winch really needs any more.

When I say deep diver I mean deep diver. I have thrown DD22, DT 20 metal, and the Manns Depth Plus which dives to 30+ feet. These are where the low gears/power handle really help the most. The Manns Depth Plus is a monster to haul in and will kill your wrist in just a few casts. Definitely a workout tossing them!