Calcutta te 101gt or Daiwa Zillion

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Calcutta te 101gt or Daiwa Zillion

Post by Pegasus » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:18 pm

These reels are the same price at Cabelas 319.00 I mainly throw 5 " Senkos I can't make up my mind
Can somebody help me decide I am really looking for long castability since I fish from shore.

Regards

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Calcutta te 101gt or Daiwa Zillion

Post by Somerdink » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:25 pm

Your probaly going to get mixed reviews but I like the Calcutta te 101 gt for weightless stuff if your going weightless then the zillion. I love the zillion line of reels there my favorite but for weightless I just liked the calcutta better to me anyways great little reel and wish I never sold mine. If you upgraded the bearings in the zillion it would be better for weightless in my own opinon.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:36 pm

Have a couple of the Calcutta's, and believe they are the best all round reel ever made by Shimano. Reliable and smooth. Retrieve rate may be a little slow for plastics, but can handle the job without hesitation.

I would not hesitate in recommending this little beauty.

Terry.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:34 am

I'd vote get a used Zillion and a TDZ100M spool. You should be able to and stay around $320. I love round reels, but only for reaction baits. They have no use in my worming arsenal.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Somerdink wrote:Your probaly going to get mixed reviews but I like the Calcutta te 101 gt for weightless stuff if your going weightless then the zillion. I love the zillion line of reels there my favorite but for weightless I just liked the calcutta better to me anyways great little reel and wish I never sold mine. If you upgraded the bearings in the zillion it would be better for weightless in my own opinon.
I didn't understand what you said if you are going to use weightless go with the Calcutta ?
If I don't go weightless use the zillion
A 5" senko is nearly 3/8 oz. is this considered weightless or not.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:12 pm

I believe the the poster was saying that a stock 100/101 TE GT would be better for weightless, and that the Zillion would only be comparable with a shallower/lighter spool.

I agree...however, the Zillion has higher gear ratios available and also has a very rugged, refined and very smooth feel to it. It can be tricky to compare Shimano vs Daiwa and vice versa - and then to add round reel vs LP in differing gear ratios, makes it even harder. I used my Zillions for fast retrieve power techs like lipless, swimjigs, buzzbaits, and this year - frogs. I always used my 100 TE GTs for spinnerbaits, and shallow-mid depth cranks.

IMO, the 100 TE GT will throw long, but not as long as a deeper spool reel when you get into the 1/2oz+ range due to lower line capacity. In essence, the 100/101 TE GT, is a "watered-down" USDM Conquest. Otherwise both reels will do well - but if you want higher IPTs, then a used Zillion with an upgraded spool would be a good option.

Good luck.