Gen 3 Revos showing up on eBay.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Fishntime
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Gen 3 Revos showing up on eBay.

Post by Fishntime » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm in line for a left hand version of the 7.1:1 stx. I'm a die hard Diawa fan, but I just can't see myself buying yet another zillion. So Revo here I come. Will hopefully have my new reel by the end of the week. I'll be sure to post my 2cents about the reel.
Last edited by Fishntime on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi jeb
I had the same thing happen to my generation 2 STX I contacted Abu they sent me a new knob but it did the same thing I don't know why it wouldn't hold a 5/8 lure in a stand still position all of my shimano don't have this problem finally I gave up and returned the reel.
I can tell you that when I bought my first STX when they first came out I didn't have this problem.

Regards

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:17 am

I've read about the issue on the Gen2 STX's, so was not shocked to see it in my Gen3. Still not sure if I'm disappointed or not, though. As I said, the reel does not seem like it needs a lot of spool tension. But more importantly, I need to see what others find as more of these reels start showing up and being fished.

I'm afriad the boat rash issues have not been resolved. Only time will tell, but the thumb bar looks the same and the finish seems the same as my Premiers, just a slightly different color. Not a big deal to me either way, but you'd hope they'd step it up a little there as this is an often heard area of dissatisfaction with the Gen2's.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:24 am

Pegasus wrote:
jeb wrote:Correction. It's a 7.1:1.

Tore it down last night. Man, that's a BIG OL' main gear in there! At least compared to my 4 Gen2 6.4:1 Premiers. Spool bearings where, of course, way over oiled. But it did not take long to get them cleaned out and properly oiled. Seem like good bearings, but time will tell.

I'll spool it up today and hopefully get it on the water tomorrow. I hate to fish on weekends, but a guy just has to do what he has to do! :lol:
Since you opened it up is the main gear anodized aluminum
Is there room to flush the bearing on the spool shaft without removing it ? since I heard they made the spool wider
Yes, the main gear is anodized alum. It's a very solid piece. I'm sure it will stand the test of time very well.

Yes, there is plenty of room to flush the spool bearing. Just as much room to work as on the Gen2 Premiers. I need to measure the spool width. It does seem a little wider and, to be honest, I did not really pay too much attention to that spec on the Gen3 release info. I was more focused on the brakes and overall weight.

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:09 pm

TW is showing "in stock" on RH versions, so they must've got theirs. Hopefully THUT gets theirs & gets them shipped shortly, I'm getting impatient and ME WANTEE!

bkbz520
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bkbz520 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:00 pm

Was looking around last night and the lefties are on ebay now.

deadstick
Angler
Angler

Post by deadstick » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:11 pm

Image[/quote]

Musky... where did you get those reel handles? I want to get some, those are sick! It also look like you painted a Premier or STX?

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:58 pm

The premier was painted by calfish and supertuned by trey (nitroman77) last year.

It's one of my favorite reels. The gen2 premier was a special reel, awesome bang for the buck! This reel started out as a used premier for $140 on ebay and came out to be one of the smoothest reel i own. I prefer the Revo premiers over my 50th anniversary / type r zillions and chronarchs. I just wished they had a faster gear ratio.

I am really looking forward to the 2013 STX as i love the dual casting system. With a new 7.1 gear ratio and the weight drop under the current premiers make it look very promising!!

I have also gotten my hands on the new Lew's Speed Spool Tourny Pro and supertuned 1 reel. It's priced at $199 and comes with carbon handles and also very light. After supertuning this reel is a pitching machine, i have it matched with a Z-Bone 7XH. The entire setup is about 10oz.

For the $200 market these two reels are the best available.

hc1230
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hc1230 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:39 am

Hi Jeb, very nice review. Now I know it cast great, how is the smoothness and solid feel of the new STX compare to Gen 2 Premier? Thanks

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Very favorably. I was throwing both today quite a bit, a Gen2 Premier and my Gen3 STX. Both on NRX rods. I always have been, and still am, a big fan of the Gen2 Premier. Super, super smooth, quiet, powerful and durable reels. The STX is a step forward from that in size and weight, but still has the other positive characters down pat, too. Well, durability is something only time will tell, but I have no reason to doubt it will.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:21 pm

I've been using the Gen3 Premier for a couple of months now and overall I'm liking it. The IVCB is working well and the smaller size is comfortable. I do think it would be nice if they offered both the IVCB and the dual braking.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Months! You work for them?

Ivcb+ mag would be a lot of variation.

Should come up with a ivcb magforce 3D hahaha

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:00 am

Johnny A wrote:I've been using the Gen3 Premier for a couple of months now and overall I'm liking it. The IVCB is working well and the smaller size is comfortable. I do think it would be nice if they offered both the IVCB and the dual braking.
Is there any frame/reel size difference between the Gen3 PRM and STX? I'd assume the main gear housing is smaller on the PRM since it does not have to accomodate the big 8:1 gear. Is that the only difference? I see the listed weight difference as being less than 1/2 ounce, so they have to be pretty close.

To my mind, the Gen3 STX is the logical replacement for the Gen2 PRM, except at a much better price. It's lighter than the Gen2 PRM, has the same great braking system, is slightly smaller in the hand, has just as many bearings, etc.

Looking forward to the reviews on the IVCB Premier's. More the longer term reviews, once the blush comes off the rose a bit, so to speak. I sure tried to like the IVCB on my MGX, but it didn't last. If they seem to work better on the Gen3 Premier, I will probably jump on one. But I'll be on the sidelines for a while, given my experience with the IVCB system thus far.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:19 am

For the guys buying any Abu rod or reel over $69, you can get a really nice sweatshirt from AG for $9.95. I got one when I bought my MGX this spring, and they are really nice. Heavy weight material, embroidered logo. You can get up to 2 per house, so I'm getting another with the purchase of my Gen3 STX.

http://abugarcia.com/products/promotions

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:35 am

Mcyl wrote:Months! You work for them?

Ivcb+ mag would be a lot of variation.

Should come up with a ivcb magforce 3D hahaha
Work? No. I do some field testing once in a while.