Gen 2 Revo premier

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Gen 2 Revo premier

Post by goldrod » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:39 am

How is yours holding up, whats your rod of choice paired with it and what technique are you using it for?
How good at casting is it say 3/8oz and do you find it hard to dial in?

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Gen 2 Revo premier

Post by jeb » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:12 pm

I've got 4 of them, along with a bunch of other higher end USDM reels, like Steez, Core, Calais, Calcutta, etc. I have them on GLX and NRX Loomis and Dobyn's Extreme rods. On a 2 power rod, they will throw lures below 3/8oz easily. Like 4" weightless Senkos, etc. And it is just as good at throwing 1oz C-rigs and large crankbaits. And everything in between. It's just such a versatile reel and so easy to dial in. Just don't be afraid to adjust both braking system to get the best out of it. That's one thing I see, is that folks are not willing to pull the sideplate off on the lake and adjust the centrifigual brakes. They are harder to get at than the Shimanos a little, but still not hard to access. They compare very well against my other reels, and are better in a lot of areas, in my experience.

I've had no issue with any of mine. Some are 2 years old and I use them a lot. Outside of some boat rash, they're trouble free. Super, super smooth and refined, too. Still running stock bearings, too. I do clean and lube mine regularly.
Last edited by jeb on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:42 pm

have 3 premiers and they are great, nothing bad to say other than the crappy finish.

seems like abu reels get scratched just by sneezing on them.

donholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by donholton » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:23 pm

Ive got 2 that I have on custom light and ul rods that I build to throw 1/8, 1/4, and 5/16 oz panfish jigs at white bass. I've quit using reels that cost me over twice as much. They are silky smooth , the drag is great, even with 4 lb test mono. I can't say enough good , for my fishing, about these reels. I'm going to try a new STX and if I don't like it as well I'm going to get several more. When I bought my first one someone on this board told me that even though a Premier isn't a finesse reel they have a lot of finesse in them. Man were they right!

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:32 pm

I have 5 of them and they have all held up well. I did a bearing upgrade to 4 of them and have not noticed a significant increase over the stock bearings. The finish shows some minor boat rash but they function like new. They are the easiest reels that I have used to dial in. I would not hesitate to try one out if you are on the fence.

jtakeman
Angler
Angler

Post by jtakeman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Fished mine all season, Only issue was some screeching during the cast. Had to put a tin film of grease on the cup the centrifugals drag on. And some lube to the spool bearings of coarse. Happy so far. \:D/

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:09 pm

any punching with it?
what about jigs and c-rigs?

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:56 am

goldrod wrote:any punching with it?
We have no grass or weeds at all on most of lakes here in the Ozark Mt area, so no punching. But as I mentioned above, I've thrown up to 1oz c-rigs with my Premiers. I fish c-rigs a ton, actually. My go-to rig most of the time. Mostly 1/2 and 3/4 ounce. The Premier is my reel of choice for that application, currently on an NRX CRR873 rod. Works equally well with all sizes and shapes of jigs.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:50 pm

goldrod wrote:any punching with it?
Yes to all three as well as some finesse casting (1/8 oz) as well. It's a very versatile reel.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Guess i was sleeping on this reel. I will have a chance in a couple of days to try it out. I am going to spool it up with 50 fire line and see how it handles.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:23 am

Never fished it with braid, only FC. But I'd think it'd be okay with it. Hope you like it.

donholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by donholton » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:38 am

With the 50 braid it may not apply as much, but when throwing light baits with light line make sure you dont have too much centrifugal brake to the point you back the mag brake offto allmost the minimum setting. The mag brake does a great job late in the cast when throwing light baits, especially into the wind. Don't be afraid to try different combinations of the brakes, you'll be amazed at what this reel can do. I think too many people get hung up on using one setting and "forget it". Between the mag, centrifugal, and mechanical brakes this reel is VERY versatile. With one centrifugal brake on, the mag brake adjusted as needed and the cast control knob 2 clickstighter than just touching the spool and using 4lb test line I can throw a 1/16 oz panfish jig 10' farther than i could with the Pixy I used to own. For anything heavier than 1/16 up to 5/16 I use no centrifugal brake, in fact at times I use only the mag brake for 1/16.

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm happy with mine. I've thrown light stuff under 1/4 oz and heavy stuff up to 1.5 oz punching thick grass. They cast everything great and have my favorite drag. I'll pick up 3 or 4 more if I can find them cheap when the new versions come out.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:43 pm

Anybody find a shallow spool for this reel?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:46 pm

Are the Gen 2 spool interchangeable with the Gen 3