Durability of aluminum gears

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Crackerjack
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Durability of aluminum gears

Post by Crackerjack » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:22 pm

bronzefly wrote:I don't really care about a few grams difference between aluminum and brass gears or cost cutting measures by the big dogs out there. I change out my TD-ito gears to brass gears, my Steez to brass gears, my R+ to brass gears, and thankfully for the release of the 6.8:1 gear sets though too few in number so far, my Pixys, Alphas, and Sols to brass gears. Why? To me they feel smoother, more solid, more connected, and are definitely more durable. Punching and frogging with a pixy is still pretty damn funny though. :lol: The Core 100MG7 is the best feeling of the Core family to me, in large part because of the stock brass gears.
=D> =D> =D> Thought maybe I was all alone in my assessment. In regards to Shimano it was stated that pinions are hardened Brass and Coated Aluminum Main. So what happens when the coating wears off and two different metals collide ](*,)

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:15 am

How about a gear light as aluminum but hard as brass?

Something like this:
Main gear frame made of aluminum and teeth made of brass.

The best of the two worlds :big grin:

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:26 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:How about a gear light as aluminum but hard as brass?

Something like this:

The underneath link shows T3 Air. Interesting.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:25 am

Actually, in most cases, the alum would be harder than the brass. Brass is a soft metal. Brass is more corrosion resistant. Important for salt water folks, no doubt. Otherwise, I really don't care which one they use. Seem equal to me in on the water performance.

Interesting design on the gear, though. There are sprockets like that in the motorcycle world. Alum spider mounted to a hard steel gear ring.

Crackerjack
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crackerjack » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:48 pm

Something like this:

Now thats a great design with the ported aluminum center. =D>

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:07 am

jeb wrote:
Actually, in most cases, the alum would be harder than the brass. Brass is a soft metal. Brass is more corrosion resistant. Important for salt water folks, no doubt. Otherwise, I really don't care which one they use. Seem equal to me in on the water performance.

Interesting design on the gear, though. There are sprockets like that in the motorcycle world. Alum spider mounted to a hard steel gear ring.
Well, I don't really know which one is harder but brass seems to hold on better at least for the moment.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:38 am

There's a tremendous amount of aluminum alloys out there with different properties, but I would think that any was at least equal to brass...are people thinking of bronze when they mention brass??

sn95
Angler
Angler

Post by sn95 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Here's something else to add to the mix, Brass tends to create less friction then other metals. So one could assume a reel would feel smoother with brass gears versus aluminum gears, not accounting for any type of grease being used. There are also coatings that could be used with aluminum that would counteract that "self lubricating" ability of brass. Also I know from another hobby you can hard anodize aluminum and it is actually quiet a bit stronger at least on the surface once this process is done to it. I'm sure that process would make aluminum gears pretty much indestructable as far as normal bass fishing is concerned.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:51 pm

Marine grade phosphur bronze and brass gears were/are in the Millionaire/Luna series.

Also, hardness in a material like aluminum is not necessarily as strong and durable as brass...hence why fiberglass/lower modulus graphite/composite graphite-glass scrim materials can take more abuse than high and ultra-high modulus graphite.

In standing against the greatest of wind and water - only the trees and reeds that flow with the force of nature will not break.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Crackerjack
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crackerjack » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:19 pm

sn95 wrote:Here's something else to add to the mix, Brass tends to create less friction then other metals. So one could assume a reel would feel smoother with brass gears versus aluminum gears, not accounting for any type of grease being used. There are also coatings that could be used with aluminum that would counteract that "self lubricating" ability of brass. Also I know from another hobby you can hard anodize aluminum and it is actually quiet a bit stronger at least on the surface once this process is done to it. I'm sure that process would make aluminum gears pretty much indestructable as far as normal bass fishing is concerned.
The Key statement "self lubricating" ability of brass.

Why make something indestructable to cut out sales of replacement parts. ](*,)

Ported hub or skeletal frame with Brass pressed outer rim like shown above.

I will let the reel makers R&D figure it out for the drag system.

Unless they want to pay me :whistle:

Yes :-k The Engineer in me is responsible for thinking outside the box.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:19 pm

Regarding hard anodized aluminum, I can testify that it is more scratch and dent resistant than titanium. This however I would not think to be an advantage in gears, as tensile and compression strength are what I would assume to be paramount, which anodizing does not offer. Those who know a little about metals would know that there are many different grades, some harder, some softer. Obviously Daiwa would be very particular and meticulous in selecting the grade. Hence you are getting the best alternative to brass in the weight savings department. A few mentioned difference in smoothness, as reletive to the hardness of the gear and other material characteristics. There are many factors in smoothness however, and just saying that reel X with alum gears is smoother than reel Y with brass gears does not suffice, especially when they are two different models. Such things as bearings, lash, materials of other parts, degree of polish, lube, tolerances, etc. come into play in respect to smoothness.
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:47 am

Hardness chart for metals.
Attachments
metal-hardness.jpg
metal-hardness.jpg (52.08 KiB) Viewed 2837 times