Need a new reel for Bass

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
framos917
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Need a new reel for Bass

Post by framos917 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:26 pm

I am a newbie so i hope this is were you post this type of question. I have a spincast Daiwa Goldcast and a spinning Shimano X-1000 that I have used for over 25 years. I have been only doing trout fishing during that time and can say that I go to the Shimano more, I just like the spinning reel better, but they have both been good reels. Both are in the ultra light to light category. I am going to start fishing closer to home more, Oklahoma, so I need to get tackle for bass at the 10 to 12 lb. cateogry. Since I liked the Shimano X-1000 so much I was leaning toward the Shimano Senora or Sedano model. Any suggestions? Has anybody gone thru this transition (from ultra to light to Medium). Am I thinking throught this correctly. By the way I have never fished for Bass, so i assume you go with tackle you are familar with and just go to the next step up.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need a new reel for Bass

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:08 pm

This thread could become long and exhausting. Really anything you purchase would be considered an upgrade from what you are using now. I would go into a local tackle store and talk to some people. You will get quicker advice and suggestions that way. Maybe just get yourself a Shimano 2500 size reel, a 6'6" medium heavy graphite rod, and hit the water. Also consider what type of line you may be using - important piece of the puzzle. Best of luck to ya!

Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Big Al » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:41 pm

First, figure your budget. Secondly, don't buy a cheap reel. The Shimanos Sedona and Sahara and the reels above their price are nice reels to start with. I would agree with Hogsticker on the 6'6" mh rod also. A lot of choices out there. Check Tackle Warehouse, Tackle Trap etc they are sponsors here and some of the other banners on top of the page. Don't buy a packaged rod/reel combo because the rod is usually cheap and they aren't balanced well.

dqphysics
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dqphysics » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:28 pm

I have the Sedona and it is a great reel. That being said, do not buy it. The new Stradic FJ feels unbelievable and is worth the extra money compared to the Sedona.

Also, have you considered "finesse" baitcasters? Thanks to the members of this site I invested in a Shimano Scorpion mg and could not be happier. It will handle 10 lb bass and I enjoy casting a baitcaster much more then a spinning reel.

Welcome to the world of Bass

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:33 pm

If $200 is in the budget then consider the Shimano CI4 3000. Super light, very good drag and a pleasure to fish with plus the looks are not too shaby. It's basically the 2500 body with a slightly larger spool and larger knob. I have the 2500 from when it first came out and zero regrets. Have it paired with a Med 7ft rod and 20# braid used mostly for 4-5" paddletails, Senkos and other similar plastics. Thinking about getting a 7ft Cumara for it and having an ultra light combo. Highly recommended.

rumrunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rumrunner » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:44 am

you've gotten some good advice on reels but i have to disagree on the rod.i still use spinning tackle for bass/walleye/whites some of the time even tho i mostly bass fish.to me a mh is only good for deep cranks/jigs/worms-1/2 oz or more.for spinning i use a medium fast for 3/8 and 1/4 oz jigs/plastics and a medium lght most of the time.for me 8-12 pd line with smaller baits do not work well on a mh and barely on a mf.i would also recommend a 7' rod.
i'm fishing around timber all the time, in case somebody brings that up.you can't horse a fish with light line no matter which rod.good line, good knot, good drag!i should say good 12 pd line is pretty tough tho, and still casts pretty good.
after you get a good spinning outfit, try a baitcaster.it's just a learning process, like everything else.
just my opinion-it's worth what you paid for it.

framos917
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by framos917 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:13 am

Thanks so much for all the good suggestions. Being a newbie to Bass, the alternatives suggested were also helpful.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:41 am

When I got back into fishing a few years ago I decided to go with baitcasting gear because I didn't like the reach to the line on the larger reels used for bass fishing. I had picked up a cheap Penn rod/reel combo and spooled it with 14# mono while visiting relation in Florida. Previously I had been using ultralight/light spinning gear only. Started researching baitcasters when I got home.

It definitely is a learning curve. However, I enjoy them more than spinning gear. Having said that I must admit that it is still easier for me to use spinning gear. Especially in tight quarters.....or when using very light lures.

Basically you need to let water cover and the lure size you plan on using dictate the rod power. Since starting bass fishing I have become partial to MH rods. Many are rated from 1/4 to 1 oz. Regardless of which power or which style (spinning or BC) you chose, I would suggest a Fast action rod for your first purchase. To me this makes for a better all-around rod.

You may have noticed that the guys on here are not only enthusiasts, but have the means to purchase top tier gear. Not all of us do. I must admit to having spent more on gear than I thought I ever would. :mrgreen:

If you go with a spinning outfit, then I would suggest a Pflueger President if you want to keep cost down. If you want to try BC, then I would suggest your first reel be one with centrifugal brakes such as a Shimano Chronarch or one with dual brakes such as a Lews Tournament Pro Speed Spool. As a general rule these are going to be easier to learn on with less problems with backlashes. Revo reels are on sale at most places...apparently because new models are coming out. Pick one with dual brakes! From what I've read, I would stay away from the SX model. Cast great, but hard to set up properly. Plus I think it is mag brake only.

However, I started on Daiwas. I can suggest a Fuego (used option only) or a Zillion for a first reel. Can't afford the Steez, Pixy, etc. These two reels should be easy to learn on as well. For some reason my Aphas ito and Sol give me more problems unless I stay with slightly heavier lures even tho they are suppose to do pretty good with the light stuff. I have picked up a TD-X and TD-S which have the older style mag brakes (which are suppose to be less backlash prone because they exert more control on the spool), but haven't had the time to use them yet.

A reasonable priced rod I can highly recommend is the Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth series. I managed to pick up a couple casting rods for about $81 apiece, but it is getting hard to find such deals. Research and you will find that there are lots of excellent rods being sold today in the less than $150-$160 range. If you are like I was when I started back into fishing, you will have sticker shock. It gets easier to spend the money, so be careful of that bait monkey. :big grin:

framos917
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by framos917 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks. Yes you are right about the sticker shock. I have been away from fishing for about 15 years and now close to retirement i wanted to try local waters which meant bass. I also started with light and ultraligt and just stayed with it. I already have some expensive hobbies, so I better tread carefully on this. Thanks again for the insight.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:00 pm

framos917 wrote:Thanks. Yes you are right about the sticker shock. I have been away from fishing for about 15 years and now close to retirement i wanted to try local waters which meant bass. I also started with light and ultraligt and just stayed with it. I already have some expensive hobbies, so I better tread carefully on this. Thanks again for the insight.
This site is a bad place to tread on the cheap! The fenwicks are very nice, have rods well under $100, and good warranty. I like the Ci4s as well and they will be a treat for you to try.

Check out eBay for used reels suggested above. These folks (thehookuptackle) have a loyal fan base here and, in addition to their store and online site, sell trade-in stuff on eBay...about every flavor of it:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ssn=the ... _Auction=1

Boomer sooner. ;-)

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:22 pm

Another quick note...if you are dead set on spinning gear as an all-around/medium bass combo, you may want to consider a 20-30 lb. braid as oposed to the 10-12lb. mono/fluoro. Once you start approaching that 12 lb line size in nylon or flurocarbon, managebaility may become an issue.

framos917
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by framos917 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:55 am

I really appreciate all the input and insight, it has been most helpful. The vast experience shared is obviuos. I will take all to bear in getting rigged for bass fishing in Oklahoma. One of my more expensive hobbies has been golf. Looks like I will need to tone that down and move $ towards fishing. After all, I can't hit the new driver I get every year anyway.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:28 pm

framos917 wrote:. One of my more expensive hobbies has been golf. Looks like I will need to tone that down and move $ towards fishing. After all, I can't hit the new driver I get every year anyway.
Golf clubs and their specific applications are a good analogy for what you eventually will want to enjoy a range of bass fishing techniques. Start with a five iron, which is what this thread is doing for you. Do what I didn't: learn one specific technique exhaustively, like a stick worm, as well as one reaction technique, like spinnerbaits. Building out like this will save you a ton of money. I don't like thinking about the money I have blown trying everything, uneffectively. Never buy rods and reels at sticker price, and once you buy, relax knowing someone probably got a better deal than you.

3 or 4 tee times = a reel that will last for years. Think of it that way. Plus, you can fish at 300am. And often have to if you want to catch anything. Fishing does eventually catch up if you hang around this forum too much...golf carts for bass are expensive. But for, say, 25 tee times...you too can have gear too embarrassing to tell normal people about. 8-) But you will covet this stuff even more than thy neighbor's wife, so think of enthusiast fishing as clean and godly living. With golf, the neighbor's wife is right there in your face for 4 to 5 hour stretches. Often in suggestive positions.

MDRANGERZ520
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by MDRANGERZ520 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:07 pm

I have not been on this forum long. But I have 48 yrs as a bass angler. IMHO a Shimano CI4 or Pflueger® Patriarch™ Spinning Reel would pair good with a G.Loomis Bronzeback Spinning Rod. Just because it says bronzeback doesn't exclude largemouth. I like a long rod so the SMR913S-SP 7'7" is my liking for long cast and ample fish fighting power. Then you also have St. Croix Legend Tournament® Bass Spinning Rod. A 7'1" rod is nice. What I have suggested is around $450.00 But will last for many years.

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:11 pm

If you just want a general all bass rod for say $170 I would go with a Shimano Symetre 2500 and a Shimano Clarus Spinning Rod. I would get the 6'8" Medium spinning. A Saint Croix Triumph is also a good rod in the budget range.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_ ... e-CLR.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_ ... SSYFJ.html

They aren't top of the line but they are very nice if you want to get by for under $200

I wouldn't go witht the sedona, I got two defective ones in a rod. The Symetre is comparable to older Stradic in smoothness and reliability. The Sahara is known for bail issues on the early production reels but seems to be ok. The Symetre has shimano's one piece bail which is excellent. Go with a 3000 if you want a bigger handle/deeper spool.

I run braided line almost exclusively, I would suggest 15lb powerpro or suffix 832.

If you are ready and willing to dump some money into a combo that will last forever a Shimano Stradic FJ and Quality rod, Saint Croix Legend Bass, Dobyns Champion, G.Loomis GL2 or Bronzeback. I can't say enough about the Stradic FJ. It's incredible, I wish I had it on a nicer rod but the Saint Croix Triumph it is on is still pretty nice. I will upgrade to a Legend Tournament Bass once I get the money though.
"Can I poke the fish in the eye?"
Dakota