Hope the Daiwa boys are around

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Hope the Daiwa boys are around

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:59 am

So I got a chunk of change that I want to spend on a Daiwa. I kinda want it to be the jack of all traits, my traits that is. I want it to handle finesse well - never throw any rigs under 3/16. I want it to handle traps well, up to 5/8. Spinnerbaits up to 1/2, small poppers, and of course jerkbaits well, 3/8. I want the best feel good reel that will excel with my style of fishing, allow me looooong casts, and something smoooooooth. Crankbaits will not be used. This will be my 1st Japanese reel, and I'm not sure which one fits the bill. It has to come in a lefty, and with the variety I've thrown out here not sure which gear ratio would be best.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Hope the Daiwa boys are around

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:03 am

Now that I see I have posted this under "rods", that must mean it's time to go to bed :oops:

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:27 am

For all those needs, I use an Alphas. It's my all purpose reel for everything, including cranks. It's got a low profile that palms well. Problem is, the Alphas is no longer sold. The US Sol works just as well. You probably can find one used. You really should repost this in reels. You'll get more suggestions. If you're willing to look at Shimano, a Scorpion 1000 also fits the bill (I've got both). Good luck on your purchase.

even26
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by even26 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:43 am

since you mentioned you "have a chunk of change" I'd consider a pixy type r or maybe the zillion j dream. Hard to pick one with your specs. 1/2 oz is not exactly finnese. Or by BOTH! Good luck.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:39 am

Your talking long casts then the PX Type R doesn't have the line capacity for you. I have upgraded the bearings and can make long enough casts to reach the knot that tied the line onto the spool with. I would reccommend an Alphas variant but stay way from the Alphas Finesse Custom 105 since you will have the same problem as the PX Type R. The best casting reels Daiwa made are the Zillions IMO but can't cast as light of lures as the others effectively. I would say that a Steez 103 would be able to do everything you are looking for though and you can pick one up at TW for $459. Alpahs/Sol or Steez.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:07 am

Steez 103HLA with RCS 1016 spool, made in Japan, on sale at TW. For JDM I would say either the J-dream, HLC (if casting 1/2oz baits predominantly), Any of the Alphas varients especially the Zonda as it holds the most line in the small frame Alphas line. For gear ratio I would say anything over 5:1 and under 7:1. You could also get a TDZ and throw a Steez 103 spool into it.
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:25 pm

Consider a JD 6.3. That ratio should be sufficient for 1/2 oz spinnerbaits and that spool should be able to handle 3/16 baits. If not then just get a PE Long Cast and that will. Comes with a 90mm handle that makes all day cranking easier then the typical 84mm. It's a half oz lighter then your typical Zillion and sports a nice paint job. I have a 7.9 and 5.3 because I prefer to handle what you're looking for with two setups but the 6.3 based on my Zillion with that gear ratio should handle the job. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting more. Dam that JDM bug.

If you really want to go all out then a Z2020HL plus RCS 2014 spool may get you down to 1/4 oz and will handle everything else you throw at it upto an 8" 5oz Hudd. Both available in lefty as that's how I roll.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:16 pm

Steez like ones priced in For Sale section of this site would be my choice.

No knock on the Z2020/Z200 platform...I have one...but I would struggle rationalizing that over a Steez with use cases you describe. Taking a bazooka to a knife fight. Get 2 steez for the money involved in a Z plus 2014 spool.

If you are using braid, you will be fine on capacity with a PX 68. Unless you throw cranks with 80lb braid. ;-)

phillyblunt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by phillyblunt » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:55 pm

I have a 50th zillion with a td-z 100m spool that will handle everything you mentioned including 3/16 oz baits. If you're set on jdm, you can replace the 50th with a jdm zillion in whatever gear ratio and get a td-z 100m spool from Gary at The Tackle Trap.

It's really smooth, lots of power and built like a tank.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm really liking the TD Zillion HLC, but man, thats a lot of money. Might just be a cheap skate and get me a SOL

andrey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by andrey » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:42 am

your post screams daiwa alphas type-R for that style of fishing. holds tons of line and is very comfortable to use. sell between 275 and 350. you will love it.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:56 am

Like others have already suggested, the Steez would be my first choice. It casts so well, that you have to retrain your thumb to avoid backlashes. It really doesnt need any upgrades at all.
Any Zillion platform with a lighter spool would be great as well.
Depending on your budget, a Sol would be the most economical choice, with a handle upgrade. The puple alpha is still my favorite, put some ABEC 9s into that baby, and you have a casting machine.
Let us know what you decide on, best of luck on your search.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:04 pm

My list in order of preference for low profile:

TD-Z 103HL I'ZE Custom order...if you can find one in excellent condition
TD-Z Ito
TD-Z 103ML
Alphas 103L (or some other Alphas 103 variant..ito AI, R-Edition)
Sol L

For round reels:

M-ITO 103L

Good luck and post your acquisition. Don't waste the opportunity and regret it later. ;)

rumrunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rumrunner » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:56 am

i use my alphas/sol/tdz-103 for the type of work you described.if i had the money i'd get the steez.i have a tdz-103ml type r that is probably my favorite reel.......maybe.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:59 am

Well I did it. Found a Steez 100HLA at a local shop for $399.99. They had two left, one display model in the case, and one in the box. Good timing, right place, right time. Spooled it with 15lb. super slick 8 in timber brown. Gonna put it on my Cumara for now. I know, big no no, but will have to do for now until the Phenix M1 comes available. Thank you to everyone for all your input. Can't wait to fish this thing this evening!!