Let's talk ZILLION

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Let's talk ZILLION

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:40 pm

To all you Zillion owners, which ever model you may have.......So I have pretty much been a Shimano guy for that last 3 years. I have had Quantum, BPS, Abu, all found a new home. I have 2 Citica 200E with ABEC 5's, and 2 Curado 201E7 with orange seals. I found a smokin deal on a new TDA 153HSTLA a few months ago. I have not upgraded the bearings, and I can't put the thing down. The frame is a bit bigger than I like, but this thing is WAY smoother than my Shimanos, and casts much better. Greater distance without any upgrades, feels totally solid. It's just a nice reel. I'm almost scared to change the spool bearings. I have never spent over 200 bucks on a reel. Is the Zillion worth the money. Is it that much better than what I have now? I really can't imagine :-k But, I'm sure it feels better in the hand, however close to 300 bucks is beyond what I told myself I would ever spend on a reel. Very curious, and I know I will get the best responses right here. Thanks

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Let's talk ZILLION

Post by muskyhunter » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:54 pm

very powerful and smooth reel, just too heavy.
Let's go fishing!!!

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:14 pm

A little on the “porkly” side and getting a little old in the tooth; but for a workhorse reel it is hard to beat. Also it has many aftermarket spools to change the performance to meet fishing needs. A little disappointed in the recent increase, but it was expected with the dollar decreasing in value to the yen. If you can get one on the cheap, pick it up. The only workhorse reel hat I have liked better would be my Fuegos.

rumrunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rumrunner » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:59 pm

it's a great reel!yes it's heavy, same as my other workhorse reels.i haven't changed to any lighter parts but there are plenty of options.when i want to bomb a lure out there, like a rattletrap,this is my best reel and smoothest too.it's so great for pitching heavy baits i keep switching between the worm rod and crank rod.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:17 pm

muskyhunter wrote:very powerful and smooth reel, just too heavy.
From your handle of "muskyhunter"? Really? :P
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:23 pm

Minus the weight (whcih is not big deal on tip down applications), they are a sweet reel...especially at today's after market pricing..low $200s mint, or lower. I have some for moving bait techniques, like buzzbaits, frogs, swimbaits, etc. The full range of gearing, 4.9, 6.3, 7.1, & 7.3 (type-R) is nice...This, and the "low" price on the used market, is the reason I got any to begin with, instead of adding to my Calais stable, which is limited on the high speed options.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:53 pm

Sooooooo...........How does it feel in comparison to the super tuned Advantage? Is it like comparing a Honda Accord to a BMW M3, or like comparing a Honda Accord DX to a Honda Accord EX. Need some self justification to acquire one! Help me out yo!!

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:00 pm

IMHO; more like an Accord EX compared to Acura TL-SH. Same Company, a little more refined, more options and a little more tuned.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:03 pm

Weight issues is a personal issue. I don't suddenly feel fatigued because I put down my Core and grabbed one of my Zillions. Considering I can take one reel and change it from a low down cranking beast with 4.9 gears or an ultra fast contact/horney toad 7.9 plus have different spools to allow finesse pitching or chuck 1oz plus lures plus get as custom as I want with various handle options and knobs is pretty nice.

Lots of good quality used reels on the market just waiting for one's custom touch or pick from the various dresses ready to go right out of the box. The only thing sweeter would be a Z1016 but I've lost hope that Daiwa will allow us to realize that dream. For now I have my Zillions and if money isn't an option then consider a JD as that's a bit lighter, a bit nicer and a bit of everything good. If it only came with bigger knobs it would be close to perfect but that's easily changed for about $50 bucks. :)

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:38 pm

GARRIGA wrote:Weight issues is a personal issue. I don't suddenly feel fatigued because I put down my Core and grabbed one of my Zillions. Considering I can take one reel and change it from a low down cranking beast with 4.9 gears or an ultra fast contact/horney toad 7.9 plus have different spools to allow finesse pitching or chuck 1oz plus lures plus get as custom as I want with various handle options and knobs is pretty nice.

Lots of good quality used reels on the market just waiting for one's custom touch or pick from the various dresses ready to go right out of the box. The only thing sweeter would be a Z1016 but I've lost hope that Daiwa will allow us to realize that dream. For now I have my Zillions and if money isn't an option then consider a JD as that's a bit lighter, a bit nicer and a bit of everything good. If it only came with bigger knobs it would be close to perfect but that's easily changed for about $50 bucks. :)
IMO the Zillion in any variation is one of the best USDM reels money can buy. Sure they are more pricey than Chronarchs, as much as Core's, and heavier than them all. But it can balance out just about any rod and you don't notice the weight at all while fishing. They cast like a dream especially with spool bearing upgrades. I have owned 2 CC's and still own a 50th and saving up to buy an HLC. The Zillions seem to accept spools, bearings, and drags very easily and getting used to them doesn't take any time at all. I think it is because of the connected feel they have. If I were you I would find a used good condition one just to see if you like it and then go from there. I think you will be hooked, pun intended.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:09 pm

I love them for power techniques! Smooth and refined.

rumrunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rumrunner » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:39 am

Tokugawa wrote:I love them for power techniques! Smooth and refined.
exactly!well said

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:25 am

Well I went balls out, skipped the Zillion, and bought a Steez. I didn't feel enough improved refinement with the Zillion over my TDSTA.........BUT, the Steez - OH MY!! I won 500 bucks at a penny slot machine off of 60 dollars. Bought a Steez for 400 and gave the other 100 to my wife. Everyone is happy, YEAH :D

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:30 am

I went from Shimano Cores/aldebarans to all Zillions eventhough they are heavy. Then i tore a ligament in my wrist and now heavy reels are in the past for me. But i agree, zillions are a much stronger and smoother reel than anything i have ever used. I am now a daiwa lover (Steez, T3, PX) and have sold all of my zillions except the Type-R version. I rarely use it because of the weight of it but its still a hell of a reel!
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:43 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Well I went balls out, skipped the Zillion, and bought a Steez. I didn't feel enough improved refinement with the Zillion over my TDSTA.........BUT, the Steez - OH MY!! I won 500 bucks at a penny slot machine off of 60 dollars. Bought a Steez for 400 and gave the other 100 to my wife. Everyone is happy, YEAH :D
Great story, gotta love the Steez reels. I love both of mine and they are in use on all of my fishing trips!
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures