Revo LTX or Pixy Type R

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Revo LTX or Pixy Type R

Post by Mcyl » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:04 am

Been playing around with spin setup for a few months and got into throwing light blades and plastics.
Now looking for a finesse caster for chucking baits 1/8oz and under.

Looking at what's available I've come to 2 main choices, the Revo LTX or the Pixy Type R.
So far the LTX is winning out on paper as it has an optional 8# 50m spool available and is SW safe. However has anyone used both the pixy and the ltx? Would love to hear your opinions.

The other alternative atm would be the Revo LT which is also a JDM reel.

Thanks a dozen.
www.facebook.com/MCY.LO

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Revo LTX or Pixy Type R

Post by Katron » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:42 am

How is the LTX saltwater safe? I read "for freshwater only". When the T3 Air becomes available you might want to look into that, as Zion is 100% corrosion proof. As far as I know it will be the first SW safe finesse baitcaster.
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:52 am

Alphas 105 and Calais 100 and Conquest 50
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

donholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by donholton » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:12 pm

I haven't seen a LT or LTX but I have owned a Pixy, which is a great reel. That being said ,if the mag brake is as good in the lt or LTX as it is in the 2010 Premier they could be amazing! I will try one of them if they become more available in a LH version.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:52 pm

Pick up a lightly used Steez for around $320 and drop a Megabass IS finesse spool into it :big grin:
This is the ultimate finesse set up!
Happiness is a sore thumb

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:30 am

Katron wrote:How is the LTX saltwater safe? I read "for freshwater only". When the T3 Air becomes available you might want to look into that, as Zion is 100% corrosion proof. As far as I know it will be the first SW safe finesse baitcaster.
I need sw capability. Ltx and mgx have the same frame and from what I've seen and heard so far they hold up in salt like a core. Likewise with my patriarch spin.
The T3 air, agree agree and agree! T-wing, magforce 3d. All that fancy tech, I gotta hv one but it's not even available in jp as far as I know.

So viable lp reels would be the alphas r and the Abu lt for. Certain sw capabilities.

Any ideas when and how much will the t3 air be available? Hope they fixed the little probs they have with the t3

Now trying to get my hands on a particularly lovely supertuned alphas Ito ai.
Might need a protective lacquer and crb replacements then it should be ok for salt use.
www.facebook.com/MCY.LO

donholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by donholton » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:14 am

A 2010 Revo Premier will do what you want and a whole lot more. Plus you can get one now at a steal of a price. Isold my Pixy and Alphas R and bought Premiers for my fishing.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:50 pm

“I need sw capability”

Get an old Alpha and stick an Alpha 105 spool or Megabass spool on it and go fishing.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:14 am

Mcyl wrote:
Katron wrote:How is the LTX saltwater safe? I read "for freshwater only". When the T3 Air becomes available you might want to look into that, as Zion is 100% corrosion proof. As far as I know it will be the first SW safe finesse baitcaster.
I need sw capability. Ltx and mgx have the same frame and from what I've seen and heard so far they hold up in salt like a core. Likewise with my patriarch spin.
The T3 air, agree agree and agree! T-wing, magforce 3d. All that fancy tech, I gotta hv one but it's not even available in jp as far as I know.

So viable lp reels would be the alphas r and the Abu lt for. Certain sw capabilities.

Any ideas when and how much will the t3 air be available? Hope they fixed the little probs they have with the t3

Now trying to get my hands on a particularly lovely supertuned alphas Ito ai.
Might need a protective lacquer and crb replacements then it should be ok for salt use.
The MegaBass finesse spool for the Zonda (MegaBass version of the Alphas) will feat in the Alphas/Sol.
Buy a second hand Sol and upgrade the gear set to 6.8:1 and spool and you are ready.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:24 am

JWR075 wrote:“I need sw capability”

Get an old Alpha and stick an Alpha 105 spool or Megabass spool on it and go fishing.
^ This
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:57 am

Pretty tempting price on the New Alphas 105 Finesse: http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43123
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:18 pm

Katron wrote:
JWR075 wrote:“I need sw capability”

^ This
Advice taken buying a alpha ito ai with OS 7, drags and megabass alu knob upgraded. Thinking of putting it on a st croix ML610XF
Where would i get a 105 spool should tge stock isnt enough??
www.facebook.com/MCY.LO

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:54 pm

Actually both the MGX and LTX are officially stated as "freshwater only" in Japan Purefishing website. Though someone may use them in saltwater with care and claim no problem, as I also know people using Pixy in saltwater.

The Alphas ito doesnt hold up well in saltwater also. It's not magnesium frame, but the bare aluminium finish will lose its shine in salt very soon. I guess you wouldn't like an ito reel ends up ugly in this way.

For your purpose and if you are open to aftermarket spool there are plenty of options.

I have a Revo Elite Aurora with ZPI Bait finesse kit and Conquest 51 with 51S shallow spool. Both do the finesse purpose well and both are saltwater friendly.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:32 am

I carry distilled water and Salt Away in spray bottles in my tackle bag cause I fish 90% salt and I own 80% fresh gear. I wish I could do that vacuum deposition quantum style on my Ito however. Is that possible?
www.facebook.com/MCY.LO

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:37 am

Mcyl wrote:I carry distilled water and Salt Away in spray bottles in my tackle bag cause I fish 90% salt and I own 80% fresh gear. I wish I could do that vacuum deposition quantum style on my Ito however. Is that possible?
I recently saw an Alphas ITO going cheap on auction site. Don't know what had been done to it but I guess it saw saltwater.......
stk_img.php.jpg
stk_img.php.jpg (35 KiB) Viewed 4449 times