Anti reverse switches / new Symetres

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Anti reverse switches / new Symetres

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:13 am

I noticed that the new Symetres may not have a cheap plastic anti-reverse switch on them (maybe I am blind and do not see it).

I sure hope it is gone. And I hope it might be beginning of phasing them out on spinning reels.

Just like flipping switches that were so common on baitcasting reels in the 1980's and 1990's and are extinct now, maybe the switches on spinning reels are next.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the cheap plastic switches on otherwise finely machined spinning reels? Stellas even have them.

For what it is worth I never use the "free reverse" feature - that's what a good drag is for (!).

cueball
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Anti reverse switches / new Symetres

Post by cueball » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:39 am

I will never buy a spinning reel without an anti reverse switch. I guess I am just old fashioned, I like to back reel. By back reeling I get an infinitely adjustable drag that is instantly adjusted by the human brain. I put on more pressure when I have to or can, I can use less pressure when I need to, and I can set my drag for optimum hook sets.

For hard running and big fish, back reeling is impractical, but for light line finesse bass fishing, I think that back reeling adds a lot of versatility.

I had a feeling that the Quantum bass reels without an anti reverse switch might start a trend. I do think it is good to have options. And if some day I have to buy my old fashioned metal, anti reverse switch reels by bidding against others, it would be OK with me.

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dcorp » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:48 am

I have never used an anti reverse switch on a spinning reel while actually fishing. I think I am in the same boat as most people and it was about a month of fishing my quantum smoke before I even realized it didnt have one, lol. I think we will start seeing these disappear from most companies soon. If most people arent using them why add the extra cost, weight and chance of something breaking that you dont use.

Having said that, the guy that I take my reels to for cleaning and servicing said I should always put the anti reverse switch on while my reels are not in use, although I never do, oops.

I am sure it will be like the flippin switch, you can still find these on new reels, they are just few and far between. I think these companies realize if they totally get rid of the anti reverse switch they will lose some market share from those old school fisherman that either use them or are just used to having them just incase.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:40 pm

I know a lot of SW reels have them removed to prevent water intrusion. I personally can do without them. I have never purposely used the reverse function. I have, however, accidentally switched it on while fighting a fish and busted my knuckles pretty good.

I can see the point of them for certain people. I just don't need them myself. If they're on there....fine, if not...I won't be upset or miss them at all.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:08 pm

With the drags they way they are now back reeling has become a thing of the past. I remember when I would back reel when I was fighting a big smallie on 6lb line, I was using an old Mitchell 308 reel and if you didn't back reel the fish would break off most of the time as you could never really trust the drag as they were all far from smooth. The same goes for line, back reeling was something we did with light mono so a surging fish didn't break you off but most anglers are using super lines so it is just another reason you don't need to back reel. Once the drag was smooth and the line strong, why not just get rid of the anti reverse and make the reel lighter and possibly more reliable too, it seems this was going to happen anyway.
Barlow's Tackle

roy smallie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by roy smallie » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:32 pm

cueball wrote:I will never buy a spinning reel without an anti reverse switch. I guess I am just old fashioned, I like to back reel. By back reeling I get an infinitely adjustable drag that is instantly adjusted by the human brain. I put on more pressure when I have to or can, I can use less pressure when I need to, and I can set my drag for optimum hook sets.

For hard running and big fish, back reeling is impractical, but for light line finesse bass fishing, I think that back reeling adds a lot of versatility.

I had a feeling that the Quantum bass reels without an anti reverse switch might start a trend. I do think it is good to have options. And if some day I have to buy my old fashioned metal, anti reverse switch reels by bidding against others, it would be OK with me.

I am with you, would not buy a reel without an anti-reverse......Back reeling gives much more control over the fish throughout the fight.....Never even use the drag, just tighten it down and no worries.

Gives me better hooksets and and no losing fish that give a surge when close to the boat....

Gives me better hooksets and

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Copied from my prior post from: "Quantum Smoke Spinning Reel impressions"

FWIW...backreeling is essential (for many fishers) when fighting big/strong running fish in close with lighter line. A strong rod angle and short line length, with a big fish that decides to run hard with a "short leash" is very well served with those that know how to backreel.

Most "modern" drags on spinning reels are much better than what it was 20 years ago overall (granted some "classics" back in the day have as good, if not better drags than most spinners today, ie, the SS Tournament Whiske and Fin - Nors with cork drags come to mind)...this said, backreeling can still serve a purpose.

SW intrusion I can see the point, granted that a good design and seal will prevent this...the minimizing of accidentally hitting this anti-reverse switch makes a better argument to me (even though I have never experienced this ever with a spinner while fighting a fish). I personally think this is more the purpose of saving design and production costs more than anything else...weight savings included.

My two cents.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Scott F
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scott F » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:43 pm

I like the anti reverse switch just for the times when I might reel up a bait a little too far and want to back it off a little bit.

panyafish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panyafish » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:30 pm

While i agree that the "modern" drags are smooter, it doesn't eliminate the need to back-reel. You need to think of back reeling as something like variable drag pressure--as much or as little as you need DURING the fight without having to touch the drag knob. I definitely like having a switch on my spinners.

miracleJim
Angler
Angler

Post by miracleJim » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:51 am

Isn't "backreeling" useful for trolling applications?

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:40 am

Gentlemen,

Good points made.

I would like some premier spinning reels out there with the option at least of not having an AR switch.

The Symetre may still have the switch (I am looking for "stopperless" design in the specs somewhere and do not see it - Shimano's "Stopperless" means no AR switch), but there is not a single premier spinning reel I can find without the switch. The Symetre is not a premier reel.

It bothers me spending $500+ on a nice piece of machinery only to have it marred by a piece of plastic for a feature I personally will never use.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:09 am

Gulfcoastwader wrote:It bothers me spending $500+ on a nice piece of machinery only to have it marred by a piece of plastic for a feature I personally will never use.
You can always just "cut it off" ;)
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:22 pm

No antireverse switch means one less hole for water to get into the reel.

But if the line gets tangled around the rotor, sometimes you can take the anti-reverse off and clear your line - without the switch, you might have to cut the line. This does not happen very often, but I like the switch for this reason.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:39 pm

With the reels available now I saw the need to backreel to protect iine. And the above explanations aren't enough to convince me of the benefit. Never had to backreel steelhead using 2lb or 4lb line. Now old gunked up sticky felt, teflon, or plastic drag washers....That is the exeption.

Now paying out line when drifting current for steelhead, is a valid arguement.

Besides...setting the hook with the AR disengaged...Puts all that force on the teeth of the pinion and main gear. Instead of just isolating it to the collar inside the AR ratchet.