Your favorite reel out of box no upgrades

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Lightning
Angler
Angler

Re: Your favorite reel out of box no upgrades

Post by Lightning » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:44 am

Ardent Elite

pantera3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by pantera3 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:11 pm

Curado 100D is a casting machine right out of the box.

belippy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by belippy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:46 pm

LITTLE T wrote:Chronarch D 7 hands down I have 4 and there as good as they come!!!!!!
:-$ \:D/

LIKE!

rcr1959
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by rcr1959 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:38 am

Daiwa Tierra bait caster.

branover
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by branover » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:14 pm

Daiwa PX Type R

fishless
Angler
Angler

Post by fishless » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:56 pm

Has to be Daiwa Zillion PE Special - Cast and crank like a dream straight outta box

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:02 pm

For me, it is hands down my Calais DC7. What a dream reel...and I am typically a Daiwa guy.
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:08 am

Daiwa Steez 103. Second place with one upgrade would be the Ryoga 1016 with 90mm carbon handle.
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:19 am

bronzefly wrote:
jwfflipper wrote:
Although I am please with the performance of all of my reels even the ones that are upgraded, the T# Ballistic just doesn't seem to need any further upgrades to me. Will the bearing and spool make that much difference?

Jeff
Hi Jeff -

While I do think the T3 1016 RCS spool makes the T3B a better performing reel, I don't think the difference is quite as dramatic as what a TD-Z 100m spool does for a Daiwa Zillion. That 1016 RCS spool is pretty amazing in a Steez and a TD-Z as well...
Isn't the T3 1016 RCS spool the same as the Ryoga 1016 spool? If it is, then could I swap my Ryoga spool with my Steez spool and the other way around?

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:22 pm

Well after posting the above I said "doh, why don't I try it myself as I have both of the reels". I found that the RCS 1016 spool works in the Steez 103 (as Bronzefly stated) but found oddly enough that the Steez 103 spool does not fit in the Ryoga. after measuring all the crucial dimensions I found absolutely no difference between them, it's just perplexing. The spool fits, but it does not fit all the way, namely if you look carefuly the non-handle sideplate edge of the spool looks to be too far into the frame, and thus is not inserting all the way into the pinion reciever. After closing the sideplate and reeling you feel some resistance, and sure enough after finger spinning the spool you find that it does not rotate freely. I will measure the spools again when I get a chance and see if I can find where the difference is. Now for the performance of the Steez; after putting the RCS 1016 spool in loaded with 20lb Sunline Shooter I mounted it on my jig rod and did a test drive. The results were odd, the pitching performance was quite bad, but the casting performance was nice, a more consistent feeling is the only way I can describe it. I couldn't really tell a difference in distance but it seemed like you were able to put a little more muscle into it without that Steez temperment coming into play. The stock Ryoga is a very smooth pitcher which is why the Steez having the Ryoga spool and showing poor pitching performance was puzzling, I would even rate the Ryoga as just as capable pitching as the Steez but less finicky. I really wish I would be able to fit the Steez spool into the Ryoga as I believe it would make it even more of an increadible reel. I will be conducting more tests just for expirimentations sake later on with the Steez and 1016 spool to see if it gives an edge casting hardbaits, as that will be its intended application.

phyxate
Angler
Angler

Post by phyxate » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Redfish wrote:For me, it is hands down my Calais DC7. What a dream reel...and I am typically a Daiwa guy.
I'm gonna second this. I once was a shimano guy, then swapped to the Daiwa Zillion Coastal (great reel) and now back to shimano. The Calais 200DC is the best reel I have ever thrown and nothing even comes remotely close to it. Took back my new revo mgx instantly (waiting on the new premier).

pantera3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by pantera3 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Shimano Core 100mg7

dukhntr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dukhntr » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:31 am

LITTLE T wrote:Chronarch D 7 hands down I have 4 and there as good as they come!!!!!!
Same here! But have 5! hahah \:D/

CaptBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CaptBob » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:37 pm

My Lews, already got carbon drag, and after putting boca orange seals in the TP, I put the factory bearings back, and put the bocas in the CT200GTB Calcutta, WOWE!! the Calcutta really gained and will cast with the Lews now over 70 yards with 20lbs braid and 3/4 oz. My beloved deep water reel for the Big Pond (Lake Erie) Walleye !! But the Lews seems to be about as good as it gets right outa the box, why I now own the team and a tournament.
Last edited by CaptBob on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Hard or Go Home!

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:51 am

Daiwa Z200H for me...honorable mention to Zillion PE Special and HLC