Drag on baitcast vs. spinning

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
monasterpad
Angler
Angler

Drag on baitcast vs. spinning

Post by monasterpad » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:59 am

which ones better and why?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Drag on baitcast vs. spinning

Post by slipperybob » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:21 am

They're different. The baitcast drag is more functionally useful. Faster and easier to adjust, even with thumb braking. Old spinning reels needed the backreeling skill.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:30 am

Which spinning reel, and which baitcaster? A front drag or rear drag spinning reel? What size reel?

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:34 am

The only problem with baitcasting is that with a light rod, sometimes the line will touch the blank between guides on a hard pull and that extra friction will stop the line from moving - so in some cases the drag won't work as set (depends on the rod and how its built). This makes the case for spiral wrapped rods.

But other than that spinning and baitcasting drags are comparable.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:43 am

What I'm trying to say is, you can't just ask "which one's better" because they both have their merrits. It's like saying, which one's better, a wrench or a screwdriver? You have to be more specific.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:22 pm

I think they're both the same, because they're both used for the same reason. A 15lb drag is a 15lb drag, regardless of the reel. Which one is smoother all comes down to the quality of materials used...that's what I have found at least.

panyafish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panyafish » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:41 pm

I think baitcasters have better drags since spinning reels have the line coming off the spool at a 90 angle, you can really feel the difference when pulling line out from ther front of the spool through the roller vs. pulling it off the side of the spool. Baitcasters with non-disengaging levelwinds have even better drags than regular baitcasters since the line is always coming out at a perfect angle, but they don't cast as well.

HdnRibs
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HdnRibs » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:41 am

Depends on what you mean by "best." If your just looking for the most drag, I think spinning reels have higher drag ratings. For example, a 2500 Stella spinning reel is rated to 20 lbs of drag. A Curado 300E casting reel is "only" rated for 15 lbs of drag. Most people would consider the Curado as being a "heavier" reel.

Hope that makes sense.
Fighting the tackle monkey day by day hour by hour

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:54 pm

If I had a choice between a high-grade 3000 sized spinning reel vs a "300" sized high-grade FW BC; and I had a hard, long and fast running anadromous like a 40lb + king on my line...I would most likely choose the spinner.

Cranking power on shorter run fish, in heavier cover, pulling bigger/heavier/more water resistant lures...okay, I'll take the BC.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

SCSS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SCSS » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:46 am

dragon1 wrote:If I had a choice between a high-grade 3000 sized spinning reel vs a "300" sized high-grade FW BC; and I had a hard, long and fast running anadromous like a 40lb + king on my line...I would most likely choose the spinner.
Personally, I'd take the baitcaster over the spinner in that scenario every time.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:28 am

SCSS wrote:
dragon1 wrote:If I had a choice between a high-grade 3000 sized spinning reel vs a "300" sized high-grade FW BC; and I had a hard, long and fast running anadromous like a 40lb + king on my line...I would most likely choose the spinner.
Personally, I'd take the baitcaster over the spinner in that scenario every time.
Yep preference...I like a BC in the 400 size + in round reel for fish that big. To me, a Stella 3000FE is as good a reel as the Curado 300 or Calcutta/Conquest 300 for this, and with say 50lb braid, the drag is stronger and the IPTs are higher as well.

The other pieces of the puzzle is what techs will be employed...lure size, weight and presentation also dictates whether a spinner or a BC is my choice. My thoughts were of slinging 1 - 2 oz spoons and spinners, Wiggle Warts, drifting bait, jerkbaits. If this were happening with downrigging, trolling, free-lining or backbouncing, then I would choose a BC.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:48 am

Surface Area of the drag washer(s)

Coefficient of Friction of the materials

Heat Dissipation of the materials

These all factor in more to me in my mind than what 'style' of reel being used.

LilMofo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LilMofo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:49 am

Like the other guy said the bait caster unlike spinning coming off at an angle. That's why if u watch enough fishing shows and or tournament u will c the guys using spinning gears pull line off the spool manually cause the drag kicking too slow given it coming off at an angle. With Baitcaster u just loosen the drag line will peel off by itself
and thats FoShoLilMoFo!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:08 pm

LilMofo wrote:Like the other guy said the bait caster unlike spinning coming off at an angle. That's why if u watch enough fishing shows and or tournament u will c the guys using spinning gears pull line off the spool manually cause the drag kicking too slow given it coming off at an angle. With Baitcaster u just loosen the drag line will peel off by itself
Hmmm....not necessarily true on all spinning reels. I have seen some monster Palegic runs on the SW Stellas and Daiwa Dogfight on video. These drags appear to be exceptionally smooth, strong and consistent during the entire period of the fight.

For truly HUGE SW or FW fish, I agree that a WINCH would be a better tool...but this is not to say that large fish cannot be subdued, and fought effectively and efficiently with spinning gear.

haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:43 pm

yea, I think for monster pelagic, taming and bring them in on spinning is a totally different and exhilarating experience.

With spinning, you don't have to worry about laying line with a thumb that behaves like a toe after an exciting big fish.

And with big fish, you're almost 100% using braid or you wouldn't have enough line. Spin outfits also eliminates backlashes problems. idk if other spinning gear have backlashes, but I only have twinpowers and twinpower SWs and never had overuns before. The Saltiga looks and feel like a really solid reel too.

I do noticed that Spin outfits seem to be slightly hotter than the b/c when bringing in a hard fighting pelagic. never done a test in a controlled environment so can't confirm on this.

when fishing for fishes that can be done from shore, I like my b/c better. more control and my thumb can provide some mouth jerks for fishes that are running for cover. ^^