Record vs Cardiff

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Versatile Futurian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Record vs Cardiff

Post by Versatile Futurian » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:23 pm

Looking for a reel for my swimbait rod without breaking the bank. I was looking at the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Record and the Shimano Cardiff A. Any opinions?

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Record vs Cardiff

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:50 pm

I havent used the Cardiff, but the Record is a hidden beast that is not regularly talked about. Id go Record.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Scorpio
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Scorpio » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:16 pm

x2 on the Record. Casting machine.

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:30 pm

x3 for the record

Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bob Ellis » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:58 pm

x1 for the Cardiff! I find it reels more smoothly and feels more sturdy than the Record. In my opinionated opinion the Cardiff feels like a real modern reel and the Record is my grandfather's reel. I should say my grandfather's, his bothers, and my uncle. (Norskis like Abu reels)

I know mine is contrary to the advice of the first three responders but in my experience most Record users have not used a Cardiff to know what they are missing :big grin:

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:08 pm

MSRP on Cardiff: $109 - 119

MSRP on Record: $159 -169

I would have a hard time arguing which is better with the price points so far apart.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:46 pm

I'd personally pick the cardiff. I am not a fan of shimano's spool design, but I REALLY don't like the record's. Side by side, I'd have to say that the record is probably the more durable of the two. It's a tank!!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

ma_fisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ma_fisherman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:15 pm

the current model cardiff (the silver one not the older gold model) is no stiff. i owned a 100 and got rid of it to pick up a calcutta 150 (the original model) and have regretted the decision. my cardiff was similiar in build though i believe its diecast aluminum vs the cold forged of my 150 calcutta. However, the cardiff was smoother, at least as good a caster, and i preferred the rubber knobs on it compared to the cheap feeling plastic ribbed knobs on my calcutta. I cannot speak to the Record, i do think, however, that there are several different models of the Record being sold out there. So maybe it depends which models you are comparing. take care, eric

Scorpio
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Scorpio » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:22 am

Bob Ellis wrote:I know mine is contrary to the advice of the first three responders but in my experience most Record users have not used a Cardiff to know what they are missing :big grin:

For the record (pun intended), I have owned the cardiff and still pick the Record.

ma_fisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ma_fisherman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:52 am

i mispoke above when i mentioned that i thought there were several different models of the record being sold. i think i was confusing the Record with the Abu Morrum which does have a few different current models i believe. please excuse, my mistake.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Record. It casts well, is as sturdy as all hell, and did not break the bank. I got a used one for $75. It handles all my Salmon duties on the Columbia.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:32 pm

If you really want to turn the record into a casting machine, it could HIGHLY benefit from some polishing. Now if it just had 3 more bearings in the right places, it would be up in the elite division of casting reels..

and if after they added those 3 bearings they changed the spool design to their infini II design, it would be one of the, if not THE best casting reel available IMO. I think it's time for abu to introduce a new round reel.. :-k

edit* by best casting reel, I don't mean overall design, but actual long distance casting performance. But I almost forgot, they would need to change to mag braking 8-)
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

Dabluz
Angler
Angler

Post by Dabluz » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:54 pm

I have the Cardiff 101A and like it very much. It's the gold coloured one. I bought it for 60 dollars new at the store. It was on sale.......probably because it has the handle on the left side. I use 18 lb test Mason Tiger braid on this reel and it casts great.....without noise. It casts so good that when it is adjusted right, I don't have to even place my thumb close to the spool in case I run into trouble. It casts 1/4 ounce lures very very well. It's very smooth and fits my hand real good. It's quite low on the reel because it has a recessed reel foot. The instant anti-reverse is flawless.

I have never used the Record.

Mooki
Angler
Angler

Post by Mooki » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:10 am

I own a Cardiff (301A) and three Records.
In my opinion the Cardiff feels like a cheap toy when compared to the Record.
Just passed the 40 BC mark.

Calico Killer Kevin
Angler
Angler

Post by Calico Killer Kevin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:13 pm

Has a waay supertuned Gold Cardiff 100 that I picked up for really cheap.
Such a fun and smooth reel. My only complaint was that it doesn't cast
lightweight as far as some of the low-pros. That said, it could definitely
zing 3/8oz and above.

Selling it is one of my biggest regrets.

That said, I've felt up the Record and it feels like no slouch either.

100 or 200 size, I'd go Cardiff.
Above, Record.