Current Consensus on Lew's?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dnullify
Angler
Angler

Current Consensus on Lew's?

Post by dnullify » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Hey all,

I've lurked here for a bit, and decided to join up because i have a question .

What is the general consensus concerning Lew's reels?
I recently checked out Lew's product line at my local tackle store, and I was seriously impressed by how smooth, light, and connected the tournament pro is. I've been reading up on it, the result being confusion.

Having handled the reels i believe the words of praise, however there are quite a few conflicting opinions out there.

Firstly the review on this site is quite positive.
Some say that it performs higher than it's price-tag; still operational, smooth, not a single problem after fishing hard; durable; good customer service; replaced all other reels with speed spools.

However, others write that they are swept off factory floors; only smooth for a few weeks; useless customer service; cheaply made; identical to BPS reels; and

Personally i can't figure difficult to believe that a reel that smooth and solid could be bad, but now i'm wondering whether it is just a really spec'd out one-season-wonder.

I know there was a similar post, but I figured that more time has passed since their reels have been out and I might get better answers.

Another question i had was whether a duralumin drive gear would be more durable than a brass gear. according to their website, their lower-end models have brass gears, while the tournament pro and up have duralumin gears. As far as i understand, gear material plays a big part in how long it would last.

If you've had a reel for a while, i'd really appreciate your input.
thanks for reading.

bemo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Current Consensus on Lew's?

Post by bemo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:57 am

You may want to read the customer reviews on Lews TP on Tacklewarehouse. I own several of these reels and absolutely love them. I have only fished 1season with these reels so I can't comment on durability. Buy one and you won't be disappointed.

NYBASSIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NYBASSIN » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:42 am

I would say the consenus is not just good but great. I have team lews and its probably my best distance caster,and throws light stuff pretty well. The tourney pro gets a ton of love from everything I've seen and even the cheaper one get great feedback.

I've read a lot about them in many places and to honest I'm suprised you've been able to find any negative feedback anywhere. The only negative thing I recall is the Tackletour review said the drag was occasionally a little sticky but overall performed well. It even got their best value award.
Last edited by NYBASSIN on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:53 am

No matter what the brand you are always going to have negative reviews and depending on which review and where they where it was made must be taken into consideration. I trust TW customer reviews, you do see some bashers but most are genuine, Cabelas and BPS need to be taken with a grain of salt, I've read review on products there that you know the peronr writing the review is either 12 years old or doesn't really fish much or is a bobber and hook worm drowning angler. I read a review on BPS about the Quantum Smoke and there was a bad review and it didn't seem like the person was talking about the right reel and then I went and looked and every single Quantum reel had the same person writing the same thing about every reel when he didn't even own most or any of them. I trust TT and the customers on TW and from those 2 sources I'd say the Lews are a good bet, the Tourney Pro is going to be my next reel for cranking.
Barlow's Tackle

NYBASSIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NYBASSIN » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:09 am

Smalljaw, I feel the same way about the reviews. For some reason I trust TW more than the other sites. Maybe its the mainstream status of places like bass pro or cabelas I don't really know why but I agree to take BPS reviews with a grain of salt.

Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Big Al » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:56 am

I used a Team Lews a few times and also a Tournament Pro. The Team Lew's will compete with the best. t was tight and smooth like any Chronarch I've owned and I think the Cronarch's ( A, B and D) were the best. The TP is a good reel in its price class but needs to be proven over the long run like the Curado or Daiwa Fuego. As far as reviews go, I would take BPS reviews as a guide. I used their Carbonlite reels and felt they are the best deal for the price. The reviews are right on IMO. I would easily go head to head against the higher priced Curado and since the Fuego is gone Daiwa has nothing to compete against it.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:41 am

I had the sub $200 model that came with the carbon handle. I like everything about the reel but felt the breaking system was to inconsistant so I sold it.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

dnullify
Angler
Angler

Post by dnullify » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:42 pm

I'm only inquiring because i was pretty intrigued by the reel when i was handling it.

There are a few bad reviews, but i guess it's all opinion. And the greater opinion is more than positive.

I guess it's worth a try, looks like the tourney pro is on the next-to-buy list.

might have to wait for the bite to pick up before i can justify another reel to myself.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:48 pm

I had both the Team Lews and the Tournament Pro and really wanted to like them but had issues with both of them.

The Team Lews was really smooth and a great caster but would every so often reengage during a cast which freaked me out because I don't want to snap off a lure. I would double check my hand positioning as well as the position of the handle to make sure I wasn't accidentally hitting anything and causing the reel to enage on my own. After experiencing this a few more times I got rid of it.

As far as my issues with the Tournament Pro, I received one where the spool tension didn't click. I took it apart and reassembled it but still no clicking. I received another, and like Falcon said the braking was a inconsistent. I would bomb a cast, and the next one would go about half the distance. Also, after approximately 150 casts, it started squealing during casts. After that I got rid of it also.

Not bashing Lews by any means, but I expect more from reels at this price especially when new. I am sure they are great reels if you get a good one, and it could have just been my luck, but for me it looks like some kinks still need to be ironed out.

dnullify
Angler
Angler

Post by dnullify » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:06 am

Ugh... that's what i was afraid of.

So many good reviews, but a couple of bad experiences. Do they generally go bad when fished hard? Or are there just some bad ones out there?

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:54 am

I have 3 TP1S reels, that I use for Pike in Canada, and the reel is one of the BEST REELS I have used. They will cast great, I cast alot of 1-2oz spinner baits, and the reel dual brake system is one of the best I have used, 2 spool brakes on and then I can fine tune with the Mag brakes. The reel spool cap is 150yds of 12lb test and I use 65lb braid. The 5.4:1 gears will bring in size 6-8 blades like nothing. I have used them on 2 trips last year and they feel like they did out of the box. On the TP1S it has a 95mm handle which is great for hard pulling baits like spinner baits. The drag is Carbontex and is very strong, will handle 20lb plus Pike. I got my on Ebay for under $150.00 !!!!
sold off 3 Zillions after I got the 1st TP1S !!!!!!
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:58 am

imho, they are really good reels for the $...had one of the Tournament Speed Spool since they came out, can't kill it...

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:49 am

RWSCHMITZ wrote:The reel spool cap is 150yds of 12lb test...
This is a dumb question but did you mean reel or real? The reason I ask is I thought they were rated at a lower capacity.

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:49 am

5bites wrote:
RWSCHMITZ wrote:The reel spool cap is 150yds of 12lb test...
This is a dumb question but did you mean reel or real? The reason I ask is I thought they were rated at a lower capacity.
The TP1S is 150yds of 12 lb, I think all the 5.4:1 models have the larger spool, the std spool is 120yds of 12lb.
I have about 100yds of 65lb braid on my 3 reels with 10yds of mono backing
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:01 am

Ooooooooh ok. I thought you might have been implying that there was a discrepancy in the advertised capacity. I see what you mean now.