First year of team Daiwa?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

First year of team Daiwa?

Post by dcorp » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:40 am

I was wondering if anyone knows what the first year and model was for team daiwa reels? The first I remember was in the mid 90's, the TD1PI's.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: First year of team Daiwa?

Post by Snyder Rods » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:10 am

I had the TD1Hi in 1988 when it first came out. It was a very progressive reel for the time. First baitcaster with infinite antireverse. The rounded, "egg" shape of the reel was very comfortable. Before this reel, I had the Shimano Bantam.

Edit: I sold it to a friend, he may still have it... I saw it in a drawer in his garage, it was broken.
Last edited by Snyder Rods on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dcorp » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:17 am

I still have one but I think I bought it around 92-93 ish. I could be wrong. Great reel, I had it stored away for probably 10 years and just got it out recently and it works great for a flipping reel.

pawneunubs
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by pawneunubs » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:54 am

omg the reel is older than me by 5 years

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:33 pm

Not to start an argument, but after a check of both US and foreign Daiwa catalogs, and Bass Pro Shop catalogs, I find the initial appearance of the Team Daiwa reels to be 1990. In that year Daiwa introduced the TD1 Hi and TD2 Hi. The Team Daiwa Bass Fishing Team consisted of George Cochran, Larry Nixon, Rick Clunn, Bill Dance, Denny Brauer, and Guido Hibdon. That's a pretty good group of Hall of Fame bass fishermen.

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dcorp » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:35 pm

That actually makes more sense. I bought my TD1 when I was about 12-13 years old (92-93). It was a big deal, I think it was around $140-$150 which was crazy for a bass reel back then. Lots of car washes and window cleaning for that reel.

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:11 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:Not to start an argument, but after a check of both US and foreign Daiwa catalogs, and Bass Pro Shop catalogs, I find the initial appearance of the Team Daiwa reels to be 1990. In that year Daiwa introduced the TD1 Hi and TD2 Hi. The Team Daiwa Bass Fishing Team consisted of George Cochran, Larry Nixon, Rick Clunn, Bill Dance, Denny Brauer, and Guido Hibdon. That's a pretty good group of Hall of Fame bass fishermen.
As a kid, I remember drooling over these baitcasters in the Gander Mountain catalog. I'm in agreement with Snyder Rods, it was in 1988-1989 catalog.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:12 am

Man that is a serious dream team! I just picked up a nib TD2hi for swimbaits. Killer reels. I could be wrong but I think that's what Brian Velvick was throwing his swimbaits with on his recent win on Clear lake. Personally, I think 80's-90's Daiwa baitcasters were/are the best looking baitcasters EVER.

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:48 am

Have to agree with Spooky on that one,they were functional and beautiful...and in that regard,I am wondering if any of you folks remember one model in particular-I used to have one,but it got stolen..still makes me upset thinking about it,roughly 20 some years later...It was a team Daiwa baitcaster,a shade of dark blue with gold accents and gold colored handle,drag star,etc...man I miss that reel.Anyone remember the model of the reel I am referencing? I have a feeling Mr. R.O.G. will know..

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dcorp » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:34 am

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:Have to agree with Spooky on that one,they were functional and beautiful...and in that regard,I am wondering if any of you folks remember one model in particular-I used to have one,but it got stolen..still makes me upset thinking about it,roughly 20 some years later...It was a team Daiwa baitcaster,a shade of dark blue with gold accents and gold colored handle,drag star,etc...man I miss that reel.Anyone remember the model of the reel I am referencing? I have a feeling Mr. R.O.G. will know..
I think you are talking about the Procaster. I had one of those too, great reels.

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:03 am

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:Have to agree with Spooky on that one,they were functional and beautiful...and in that regard,I am wondering if any of you folks remember one model in particular-I used to have one,but it got stolen..still makes me upset thinking about it,roughly 20 some years later...It was a team Daiwa baitcaster,a shade of dark blue with gold accents and gold colored handle,drag star,etc...man I miss that reel.Anyone remember the model of the reel I am referencing? I have a feeling Mr. R.O.G. will know..
I had one of those too..
Procaster 100h iirc.
TT did a review back in 04' http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaprocaster.html
picdaiwaprocaster1.jpg
picdaiwaprocaster1.jpg (47.91 KiB) Viewed 11276 times
Loved that reel.. Not as much as the TD1Hi tho.
Starting to wish I hadn't sold em.. ](*,)

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Actually,altho that is a rather fitting reel from what description I gave,that isnt the one I speak of...the one I am referring to was made in the late 80's,and actually had a shape very similar to the TD1 pictured here above,but the front of the reel was ever so slightly upswept..must not have been a "team" model per se,but it was top of the line at the time...I stocked alot of shelves back then to get it,working for 2.25 an hour,underage on a work permit :| ...man I wish I could remember what the name of that bad boy was...if I remember correctly,it was out right prior to the introduction of the PT33 reels from Daiwa...perhaps it was an early procaster tournament?arrrrrgh this is killin' me-getting old sux :-({|=

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:33 pm

Reel Old Geezer wrote:Not to start an argument, but after a check of both US and foreign Daiwa catalogs, and Bass Pro Shop catalogs, I find the initial appearance of the Team Daiwa reels to be 1990. In that year Daiwa introduced the TD1 Hi and TD2 Hi. The Team Daiwa Bass Fishing Team consisted of George Cochran, Larry Nixon, Rick Clunn, Bill Dance, Denny Brauer, and Guido Hibdon. That's a pretty good group of Hall of Fame bass fishermen.
Indeed...I believe Daiwa gear won quite a few BassMaster titles in a row at one time, no? Like six or seven?

Yes, before "bean counting" and outrageous endorsement costs; Daiwa always had a "Dream Team" line-up.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:54 am

As a kid, I remember drooling over these baitcasters in the Gander Mountain catalog. I'm in agreement with Snyder Rods, it was in 1988-1989 catalog.
As you wish, but Daiwa USA doesn't agree with you. I can't figure out why they don't show TD Reels until 1990 and then say the TD casting reels are "new". I also wonder why Bass Pro Shop or Cabela's didn't carry them in their catalogs for 1988 or 1989.

Whacka1
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Whacka1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:56 pm

I still have 2 td HI 6.3.1 and 1 td PI which is 5.1 plus the td 7'6" flip denny had 2 I got the lighter one, TD 7' rick clunm glass crank, forgot who did the 6' spbait rod, and cocran's 6' topwater pistol grip almost forgot my favorite the 7' nixon worm/jig. The clear coat on the rods is flaking off now I retired them because the don't look good any more not because they don't work.