First year of team Daiwa?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: First year of team Daiwa?

Post by 21farms » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:37 am

anyone know the difference between "team daiwa" and plain ol' "daiwa"?

Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Big Al » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:32 pm

Price! "Team" cost more. :lol: Actually, it's because the Team of Pros would use these reels, hence Team Daiwa.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:07 pm

Speaking of old Daiwa reels, does anybody remember the Daiwa baitcaster from the early 90's with the "curtain" line guide? The line guide was multi-piece and would open like a curtain when you depressed the thumbbar, so there was no contact during the cast. I won it in a tournament but then quickly lost it. I have no idea what the model number was.

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:18 pm

Snyder Rods wrote:Speaking of old Daiwa reels, does anybody remember the Daiwa baitcaster from the early 90's with the "curtain" line guide? The line guide was multi-piece and would open like a curtain when you depressed the thumbbar, so there was no contact during the cast. I won it in a tournament but then quickly lost it. I have no idea what the model number was.
I'm not sure of one from the 90's, but the ProcasterTournament series came out in 1984 with what Daiwa called their "Zero Friction" line guide. It split apart like you are referring to. It was a model PTA 33 and was a beautiful gold reel. It was apparently quite successful, for in 1985 they followed up with a full series of Procaster Tournament Magforce reels that were available with this line guide. This feature was also found on their computer PT10E and PT15E reels. Reel number and letters varied for the next few years, but their 10 and 15 sizes were available with several different features. I did not find any reels in their 1990 catalog with the "Zero Friction" line guide.

In my view, these were some of the "prettiest" reels Daiwa ever produced. They were sort of metallic colors radiating out from the center of the back plates. Colors I have in my collection are gold, blue, and a deep red, along with black. Most of mine are still new in box.

Fastfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fastfish » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:52 pm

The 1990 time frame sounds right for me I know for sure I was fishing steelhead on the Olympic peninsula in early 1990 with a TD1 and a TD2 back then they were both new when I was leaving on that trip.

Fastfish

jwfflipper
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Reel Old Geezer wrote:
Snyder Rods wrote:Speaking of old Daiwa reels, does anybody remember the Daiwa baitcaster from the early 90's with the "curtain" line guide? The line guide was multi-piece and would open like a curtain when you depressed the thumbbar, so there was no contact during the cast. I won it in a tournament but then quickly lost it. I have no idea what the model number was.
I'm not sure of one from the 90's, but the ProcasterTournament series came out in 1984 with what Daiwa called their "Zero Friction" line guide. It split apart like you are referring to. It was a model PTA 33 and was a beautiful gold reel. It was apparently quite successful, for in 1985 they followed up with a full series of Procaster Tournament Magforce reels that were available with this line guide. This feature was also found on their computer PT10E and PT15E reels. Reel number and letters varied for the next few years, but their 10 and 15 sizes were available with several different features. I did not find any reels in their 1990 catalog with the "Zero Friction" line guide.

In my view, these were some of the "prettiest" reels Daiwa ever produced. They were sort of metallic colors radiating out from the center of the back plates. Colors I have in my collection are gold, blue, and a deep red, along with black. Most of mine are still new in box.
I still have a few of the Zero friction reels and pull them out every now and then to use. 89'-90' sounds right for those reels
RiverValley Crankbaits
Colmic Rods
Ol'Style Baits

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:18 pm

I worked in the tackle dept of a Turner's Outdoorsman when I was in college in the late 80's and early 90's. I did most of the reel tuning and repair. The TD1Hi made me a Daiwa convert for life. We sold a ton of them, but they never came in for repair. We also had the whole line of the TD rods and they were a good value, but I had to have custom rods made at Phenix in those days. It's sad to see some of the legends no longer with Team Daiwa! They were a force.

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:20 am

After many arduous nights of ebay scrounging,I have come to the realization that the reel I remember from back in the day was either a PT10 or PT15,in a blue/gold color configuration...man I miss that reel,it was not only a beautiful work of art,but it fished awfully well..sounds like Mr. Geezer probably has one in his collection! Hey Mr. Geez,if ever you decide you dont want that bad boy anymore,do let your old buddy Rifle here know-I would pay handsomely for it~

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:23 am

Further,a question for Mr. R.O.G.-was there a difference in the different colored models of those old PT reels? Or was the color simply that,just a color choice?I seem to remember not only the blue and gold one,but black and bronze as well...dont remember if one was a "special" model or some such thing,just know they were all nice...

jwfflipper
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:54 am

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:Further,a question for Mr. R.O.G.-was there a difference in the different colored models of those old PT reels? Or was the color simply that,just a color choice?I seem to remember not only the blue and gold one,but black and bronze as well...dont remember if one was a "special" model or some such thing,just know they were all nice...
there were several differences in the 4 lifes of the reel. there was the PT33 Gold zero friction line guide(Bill Dance made that popular) and the PT38 3.8:1 gears
There was the PT 10-15 narrow and wide spool Pt10 2 bearings PT15 4 bearings, wide spool, the small palming reel, cheapest price of the bunch. this was a gold reel also
Then you have the Tournament series Blue and Gold PT 10X and PT10XZ one has two ball bearings and the other has 4
Then you have the PT15x and the PT15XZ same specs as above reels
Then you have the PT10 and 15 x and xz electric reels the most costly!

I have all the reels above except the PT10 and 15
and the you have the PR series of reels that has the graphite bushings instead of bearings

believe this is accurate to the best of my memory

Jeff
RiverValley Crankbaits
Colmic Rods
Ol'Style Baits

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:11 am

awesome info from jwfflipper,only wish I had it before scrolling thru all of ebays vintage Daiwa reels category..lmao according to your info,I then had the Tournament series,dont quite recall if it was a 10 or 15,but it was definitely the 4 bearing model,so it must have been the ZX...very cool man.You have made my future searches that much easier :D I thank you..

jwfflipper
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:35 am

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:awesome info from jwfflipper,only wish I had it before scrolling thru all of ebays vintage Daiwa reels category..lmao according to your info,I then had the Tournament series,dont quite recall if it was a 10 or 15,but it was definitely the 4 bearing model,so it must have been the ZX...very cool man.You have made my future searches that much easier :D I thank you..
I have a bunch of parts from those reels I bought on ebay last summer and was hoping to put together some more to use but havent gotten around to it yet. :(

my youngest kid was born is 1988 so that reel has to be about the same time frame, only wish I could find my catalog
go to http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/v ... er-7413898 and see if this looks like the style

Jeff
RiverValley Crankbaits
Colmic Rods
Ol'Style Baits

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:45 am

jwfflipper wrote:
CALL ME RIFLE wrote:awesome info from jwfflipper,only wish I had it before scrolling thru all of ebays vintage Daiwa reels category..lmao according to your info,I then had the Tournament series,dont quite recall if it was a 10 or 15,but it was definitely the 4 bearing model,so it must have been the ZX...very cool man.You have made my future searches that much easier :D I thank you..
I have a bunch of parts from those reels I bought on ebay last summer and was hoping to put together some more to use but havent gotten around to it yet. :(

my youngest kid was born is 1988 so that reel has to be about the same time frame, only wish I could find my catalog
go to http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/v ... er-7413898 and see if this looks like the style

Jeff

LMAO,when I checked the link,I got this-Sorry, that item is no longer available. Please use the search box to search for other similar items.- cracked me up..yessir,that is exactly what I have been finding,right there..

jwfflipper
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:04 am

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:
jwfflipper wrote:

Jeff
I googled it and thats what came up. there are several different threads to look thru.
i am calling daiwa.
they have no clue either.. they are saying from 1976-1986 and they are no dates on the boxs I have. I am at a lose now but I will find out! lol

LMAO,when I checked the link,I got this-Sorry, that item is no longer available. Please use the search box to search for other similar items.- cracked me up..yessir,that is exactly what I have been finding,right there..
RiverValley Crankbaits
Colmic Rods
Ol'Style Baits

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:20 pm

This is a great thread! Im in the process of tricking out a td2hi. Abec 7 OS bearings, I put an 105mm 4bb Abu skeet Reece winch handle on it and got some Avail colored parts(handle nut, screw, retainer) coming from japan for it. The handle looks great on it, I'll post pics as soon as the parts arrive.