First year of team Daiwa?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jwfflipper
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: First year of team Daiwa?

Post by jwfflipper » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:16 pm

spookybaits wrote:This is a great thread! Im in the process of tricking out a td2hi. Abec 7 OS bearings, I put an 105mm 4bb Abu skeet Reece winch handle on it and got some Avail colored parts(handle nut, screw, retainer) coming from japan for it. The handle looks great on it, I'll post pics as soon as the parts arrive.
Even though it looks good as is, you upgrades should make it FINE looking!

Jeff
RiverValley Crankbaits
Colmic Rods
Ol'Style Baits

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:42 pm

Reel Old Geezer wrote:
As a kid, I remember drooling over these baitcasters in the Gander Mountain catalog. I'm in agreement with Snyder Rods, it was in 1988-1989 catalog.
As you wish, but Daiwa USA doesn't agree with you. I can't figure out why they don't show TD Reels until 1990 and then say the TD casting reels are "new". I also wonder why Bass Pro Shop or Cabela's didn't carry them in their catalogs for 1988 or 1989.
You've got me doubting if it were 88-89 now, LOL. Wonder if I was drooling over the Daiwa SS Tournament spinning reel back in 88? That could be the case, now that I think about it. I wasn't using baitcast equipment until 91 or so.

ROG, I stand corrected! :doh:

jwfflipper
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:34 pm

I am still searching!
RiverValley Crankbaits
Colmic Rods
Ol'Style Baits

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:09 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:
As a kid, I remember drooling over these baitcasters in the Gander Mountain catalog. I'm in agreement with Snyder Rods, it was in 1988-1989 catalog.
As you wish, but Daiwa USA doesn't agree with you. I can't figure out why they don't show TD Reels until 1990 and then say the TD casting reels are "new". I also wonder why Bass Pro Shop or Cabela's didn't carry them in their catalogs for 1988 or 1989.
- You guys are making me think I'm senile. I could be, but see this:

TD1Hi - Hi-class bait caster in `88.
The first infinite anti-reverse bait reel
http://www5c.biglobe.ne.jp/~take300/daiwaBaitE.htm

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:57 am

How much bigger was the TD2Hi over the TD1Hi or is it just the spool size?

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Reel Old Geezer wrote:Not to start an argument, but after a check of both US and foreign Daiwa catalogs, and Bass Pro Shop catalogs, I find the initial appearance of the Team Daiwa reels to be 1990. In that year Daiwa introduced the TD1 Hi and TD2 Hi. The Team Daiwa Bass Fishing Team consisted of George Cochran, Larry Nixon, Rick Clunn, Bill Dance, Denny Brauer, and Guido Hibdon. That's a pretty good group of Hall of Fame bass fishermen.
Also Tony Bean sir. Took more than my share of smallmouth on his contribution with the SS Tournament. Mowed a lot of lawns, shoveled a lot of snow to have them.
Good thread.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:24 pm

Remember this old VHS? I've still got a copy in my box of fishing VHS's that never made it to digital format... But don't think I even have a VHS anymore...

vid-team-daiwa-fish-with-pros.jpg
vid-team-daiwa-fish-with-pros.jpg (97.24 KiB) Viewed 4839 times

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:57 pm

78Staff wrote:Remember this old VHS? I've still got a copy in my box of fishing VHS's that never made it to digital format... But don't think I even have a VHS anymore...

vid-team-daiwa-fish-with-pros.jpg
The King and his Court as Daiwa called them back then.
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

jte54
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jte54 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:16 pm

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:Have to agree with Spooky on that one,they were functional and beautiful...and in that regard,I am wondering if any of you folks remember one model in particular-I used to have one,but it got stolen..still makes me upset thinking about it,roughly 20 some years later...It was a team Daiwa baitcaster,a shade of dark blue with gold accents and gold colored handle,drag star,etc...man I miss that reel.Anyone remember the model of the reel I am referencing? I have a feeling Mr. R.O.G. will know..
I remember those blue reels. They were shaped just like the black and gold ones, but they felt a tad bit lighter and had a silver spool. Also they matched the reel seats on the old team daiwa s rod ( green handles).

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:19 pm

Can anyone tell me what version of the TD1-Hi is older. One has a handle knob that is smooth and the other has a few lines through it on the grip. I am looking to see what was the original version. Thanks and best wishes on the water!

Musky Hack
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Musky Hack » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:16 pm

jte54 wrote:
CALL ME RIFLE wrote:Have to agree with Spooky on that one,they were functional and beautiful...and in that regard,I am wondering if any of you folks remember one model in particular-I used to have one,but it got stolen..still makes me upset thinking about it,roughly 20 some years later...It was a team Daiwa baitcaster,a shade of dark blue with gold accents and gold colored handle,drag star,etc...man I miss that reel.Anyone remember the model of the reel I am referencing? I have a feeling Mr. R.O.G. will know..
I remember those blue reels. They were shaped just like the black and gold ones, but they felt a tad bit lighter and had a silver spool. Also they matched the reel seats on the old team daiwa s rod ( green handles).
While we are walking down memory lane... Dick's Sporting Goods in Buffalo had a sale a few months after the green handled Team Daiwa S rods were released. As part of a bug one get one promotion, I picked up the entire line for about $30 a rod. I felt like Denny Brauer... Great set.of sticks.