New Curado... Shimano's second Curado mistake?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

New Curado... Shimano's second Curado mistake?

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:45 pm

I was at Cabela's the other day and had a chance to play with the new Curado. I was extremely disappointed that Shimano for the second time in 6 years has ruined that series of reels IMO of course. I worked at 2 different fishing retailers and sold the last 4 generations of Curado's and the old greenies were solid. Silver's were good except for the price point and they were silver. E7's better price point but didn't like the backplay in the handle otherwise a solid reel. New Curado and Citica for that matter feel like cheap Quantums...

Sorry everybody I know that is extreme but what the hell are they doing!? I am a big Daiwa fan and since sold my Shimano's but was excited to see their new line hoping they fixed the handle backplay which I thought was a problem and couldn't believe what they did. I hope there is a Shimano insider that can shed light on their new reels because the only thing I can think of is they are really trying to promote upgrading to the Chronarch or Core? Correct me if I am wrong guys (I know you will) a lot of arguments about Daiwa's lack of quality reels in the $100-$200 price range and now Shimano looks to be headed that same direction. Again sorry if this comes off raw but just couldn't believe it. I don't think I have ever been so disappointed in a new reel release like this one. At least the Silver Curado was a well made reel.

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Curado... Shimano's second Curado mistake?

Post by LPFC » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:35 pm

I have yet to be impressed with any shimano under $200. Not that I've tried them all but I feel the curado series has been over rated at least straight out of the box.

Just my opinion, and it's worth at lot

to me :mrgreen:

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:58 pm

I havent seen or held the new curado so my opinon probably isnt any good. But I will say my guess is that what has happen with in the last year or so in japan where there reels where made, there are now made in Malaysia I think to control the cost which I could be wrong. The new curado is based on the Citica frame and the citica is based on the Ceanen. Only time will tell if they did make a mistake but I do want to get a couple to try and along with the citicas as well.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:27 pm

Somerdink wrote:The new curado is based on the Citica frame and the citica is based on the Ceanen.
I believe they are both based on the Ceanen frame. I understand what Shimano is doing here, I just don't like it and won't be purchasing any of the new offerings.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:28 pm

IMO the silver D series is a better reel than the green E series. It just feels more fluid and more robust. It also doesnt have the geary feeling the E series has.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:12 pm

Agree with the OP 100%!
I have switched the majority of my gear to Daiwa starting a little less than two years ago.
Man that back play drives me NUTS!
Haven't played with the new Curado yet... E's were a good value. But now it seems they dropped off the map in the under $200 range like Daiwa.

JLP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JLP » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:39 pm

The Curado B's and D' s were the best, the E' s are good but the G's feel like your'e holding a plastic reel.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Teal101 wrote:IMO the silver D series is a better reel than the green E series. It just feels more fluid and more robust. It also doesnt have the geary feeling the E series has.
The Curado D series are my favorite in the Curado legacy...and the B is a great reel as well. The rest...I don't have any personal experience with, but wouldn't spend my $$$ to find out.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Gideon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Gideon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:31 pm

I've got the new G reel and its nowhere near as good as the E reel. Like the Caenan it feels big and unrefined. Def a step backwards.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:25 am

I think we all feel what Finz is feeling. Shimano's best series were the "B-SF" and followed by the "D" IMO. When I first got my E series and used them, I thought they were much better but after some time, you definitely felt the gears and all the little things that made the "B-SF" and "D" series great were just not there in the "E" series. And yes that back play really killed it for me. Now when people ask for my opinion on reels between $100-$200, I have a hard time pointing people to Shimano like I have done in the past. And I can't point them to Daiwa as well since the good quality Daiwa reels are well over $200. Shimano definitely bit the dust on this one. However, the Core and Calais are still the same. And if were to get any Shimano Reels at this point its Core and Calais or bust.

And out of all this, what about the big gaping hole left by the removal of the Chronarch D series? Shimano has nothing to compete in the sub $300 range anymore. I suppose Bantam1 put it best when he stated (Paraphrasing here) that as far as Shimano is concerned, the $100-$200 range is where the money is at. Daiwa on the other hand has gone all in and upped their price but keeping or adding quality reels. Opposite ends of the spectrum for both Daiwa and Shimano. I wonder who will make more money because in the end that is what it boils down to - $$$$.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:47 am

Wouldn't one be better served looking at the Chronarch E if looking to compare the evolution of the Curado line? Same platform as the Curado E, new paint job, new gearing and better left hand support and best yet - still made in Japan for that $200 price range.

Personally, I think the Chronarch D should have survived and perhaps it will reincarnate itself with a new name and paint job. For now, I'm purely Daiwa (for bass gear) except for my lone Core 101. Curado platform is nice but it appears that based on most accounts that last years Chronarchs were superior.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:54 am

They will make money and be fine, remember, the anglers here on TT are a minority when it comes to equipment. Every year the number one selling rod is the Ugly Stick, I'm not sure of the reel but Shimano will continue to sell a lot of product as well as the rest or they wouldn't be in business, it is that simple.
Barlow's Tackle

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:37 am

The D series curados are basically in a class above the rest of the "Curados" IMO. Not really a fair comparison, as the D's were also the highest price of all of them.

I don't get the love for the B series compared to TODAY's reels. They're tall, don't cast all that well, and the drags are meh. Sure you can upgrade them, but with the same money you can make a better reel (the D) that much better.

I would MUCH rather have a Citica D or E than a curado B or BSF.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:00 pm

GARRIGA wrote:Wouldn't one be better served looking at the Chronarch E if looking to compare the evolution of the Curado line? Same platform as the Curado E, new paint job, new gearing and better left hand support and best yet - still made in Japan for that $200 price range.

Personally, I think the Chronarch D should have survived and perhaps it will reincarnate itself with a new name and paint job. For now, I'm purely Daiwa (for bass gear) except for my lone Core 101. Curado platform is nice but it appears that based on most accounts that last years Chronarchs were superior.

I'm thinking of grabbing a new reel this spring, but I'm hard pressed to spend $200 on the Chronarch when I can get two D series for near the same price. All depends on availability. I like all the gear ratio options Shimano has now, they did that right, and with left retrieves.

IMO in the $100-$200 range, Shimano still has the best offering. I do like my Revo SX though... :mrgreen:
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

mattfish11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mattfish11 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:02 pm

I'm a fan of the curado E7! I don't understand the backplay of the reel that you guys are talking about. There's no backplay in my E7's...

The silver ones were nice, but I think the E-7's were much more low-profile, which i love, palm-able and overall a really good quality for the price...

just my 2 cents!

On another note - i haven't been able to get my hands on a G series... not sure I want to!