Pflueger anti-reverse problems in the cold....

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Pflueger anti-reverse problems in the cold....

Post by Boondock » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:40 am

In the cold the anti-reverse stops working and causes lots of problems.
Anybody else have this issue? A buddy has the same reel with the same problem so I doubt it is isolated.
Here is the reel we have
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Pflueger ... PPCRS.html

Does anybody have problems with the Patriarch Magnesium? Would think a lot of the parts are the same.
I was fishing in weather in the 15-20 degree range with some wind to make it even worse. Buddy had problems around 35 degrees.

Any fixes? Thanks!

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Pflueger anti-reverse problems in the cold....

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:23 pm

It's not the bearing or reel it is because the bearing has grease in it. Take the side plate off and wash out the A/R Bearing with Dawn and water and tooth brush, or some carb clean, be careful the carb clean can melt plastic trim on the reel side plate. then blow dry with a hair dryer and 2-3 drops of Hot Sauce oil, do not over lube. Your reel will work in cold weather fine after that.
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:24 pm

One of my older Pflueger spinning reels did the same thing and the guy that fixes my reels couldn't find the problem he even changed the anti-reverse bearing in it also. A friend of mine as a Shimano Stella 2500 and it does it all time somewhere in the -5 to 5 degree range. I would like to know as well.

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:26 pm

RWSCHMITZ wrote:It's not the bearing or reel it is because the bearing has grease in it. Take the side plate off and wash out the A/R Bearing with Dawn and water and tooth brush, or some carb clean, be careful the carb clean can melt plastic trim on the reel side plate. then blow dry with a hair dryer and 2-3 drops of Hot Sauce oil, do not over lube. Your reel will work in cold weather fine after that.
Im going to give that idea a try next time my reel does do it again also.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:02 pm

i havent had any problems with either my patriarch or gold supreme XT's, i had the same problem with my brother-in-laws quantum catalyst pti-b...but none of my pfluegers.

the quantum works fine in warmer weather, but when it got down to about 25 last year the anti-reverse wouldnt work. interested to see if cleaning the bearing works, will have to let him know so he can clean it and then go try it out!

Basswrangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basswrangler » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:06 pm

I have had this happen with a pflueger president in 15 degree weather. The reel is fine in warmer weather and I suspect the problem lies with an overlubed A/R bearing, althoughI haven't cleaned it too check.

I got to thinking though and does anyone think its possible that the sleeve that contacts the anti-reserves bearing shrinks in extreme cold conditions. I know the tolerances are fairly tight and since the A/R bearing is made of mainly plastic in spinning reels like the pfuegler, tempurature would not shrink the A/R bearing housing (but may effect the metal sleeve). I kind of doubt this theory, but it would explain slippage in cold weather.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:12 pm

It likely is grease on the a/r bearing. You can not access this bearing through the side plate, and carb cleaner has no business being anywhere near a reel, especially a high dollar one. A/R bearings should be thoroughly cleaned, dried and a very light coat of light oil. Never grease.

If it's under warranty, send it back. If not, here is a Pflueger schematic. It's for a Supreme, but not your particular model. You should have got a schematic with your reel. Anyhow, item 43 on this is the a/r bearing, which requires removal of the rotor assembly to access it. Very tiny parts and no room for error. This is to give you an idea how far into it you need to go.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/ed-8230MG

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:07 am

Thanks a lot guys!
Great info

mattfish11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mattfish11 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:08 am

RWSCHMITZ wrote:It's not the bearing or reel it is because the bearing has grease in it. Take the side plate off and wash out the A/R Bearing with Dawn and water and tooth brush, or some carb clean, be careful the carb clean can melt plastic trim on the reel side plate. then blow dry with a hair dryer and 2-3 drops of Hot Sauce oil, do not over lube. Your reel will work in cold weather fine after that.
If the bearing had grease in/on it - the problem with the A/R would be pretty consistent - and not only happen in the colder weather. Its worth a shot - clean it out really good with simple green to break down any grease and particles in there and flush it really good with rubbing alcohol... Make sure you get all the simple green (or any other degreaser you use) before drying and reassemblying...

If that doesn't work - replace the A/R bearing!

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:40 am

It could just be a dirty bearing. Had that happen to me in some older Shimano and Shakespeare reels that I ice fish with.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:19 am

mattfish11 wrote:
If the bearing had grease in/on it - the problem with the A/R would be pretty consistent - and not only happen in the colder weather. Its worth a shot - clean it out really good with simple green to break down any grease and particles in there and flush it really good with rubbing alcohol... Make sure you get all the simple green (or any other degreaser you use) before drying and reassemblying...

in the cold the grease will get stiff from the cold and cause the A/R to fail but in the warm weather it will be fine.
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

mattfish11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mattfish11 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:43 am

RWSCHMITZ wrote:
mattfish11 wrote:

in the cold the grease will get stiff from the cold and cause the A/R to fail but in the warm weather it will be fine.
Interesting.... I would think the grease in warm weather (slicker) would cause a failure in the anti-reverse more so than the cold weather.

OP - I would clean the A/R really well, let completely dry and ad a drop of bearing oil and see if that fixes the problem! :big grin: If not - get a new bearing!

Koldkut
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Koldkut » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:40 am

I just had this very problem with my Pflueger Patriarch spinning reel yesterday, thankfully, the ensuing tangle from a hookset did not catch anything other than the spool and the fish was large enough to pull it all out from drag. Boondock had asked me if I had any problems with it when he posted this thread up and I had no problems up to that point. I did feel it slip two other times after that mess, but it was only a little and not due to fish hookups, but rather hard jigging action with heavy spoons.
Hydra pro-staff builder hydrafishing.com