Stella 2500 FE on the way!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Stella 2500 FE on the way!

Post by dragon1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:50 pm

Okay...I bit the bullet and bought a new Shimano Stella 2500 FE for about 20% off retail. :big grin:

I hope that this reel will live up to, and surpass my expectations. I sold a near new Daiwa Certate 2500R (second gen) for this reel...I also passed up: 8-[

New Certate High Gear Custom 2506 and 2508

Daiwa Steez 2508

Daiwa Exist 2500 and 2506

New Sustain FE

Stella 2500 FD

2011 TwinPower 2500 & 2009 TwinPower MG 2500S

I won't have a lot of water time until Spring, but I will definitely be playing around with it a lot when it gets here! 8-)

Anyone want to chime in on the 2500 FE or the Stella FE series in general?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Stella 2500 FE on the way!

Post by steve1206 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:09 pm

Even the box is pretty! It is a work or art (and engineering). I just got mine over the summer and it unreal. Smooth doesnt begin to describe it...It is very hard to justify a spinning reel @ over $500, $600, $700 or whatever for most people (and me too). I just figured I have very few spinning reels, so, "hey, why not?"

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:32 am

I don't have a lot of spinning setups, either. Usually just two of the 10 rods on the deck are spinners. I have a Certate, Stella and Caldis as my 3 best spinning reels, all on GLX rods. To be perfectly honest, I don't see much difference between them in actual on the water performance. All good reels, all very smooth, all about the same weight. I just don't get what makes the Certate so much more expensive than the Caldis, let alone what makes the Stella so much more expensive than the Certate. The stella is pretty, but I really don't care about that part of it. Bottom line for me is on the water performance, and I just don't see much bang for the buck on this one.

In baitcasters, I feel the much lighter weights of most of the high end reels, or DC circuitry, help to justify the increase in prices over the middle line stuff. But that's just not the case with spinners, at least in my experience. I'm not going to be getting rid of any of my spinners, but I won't be shopping in the Stella end of that market again.

Don't mean to rain on the parade here. Hope you love your Stella. Just giving my honest experience and opinion.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks fellas for the replies.

Jeb, my experience with spinners is that time and torque will wear out the rotor, roller bearing, gears, drag, etc., and make the overall reel feel loose more so than in metal body BCs. I only have a few spinning rigs...but these rigs are meant to be used and kept for a LONG time.

My main consideration of the Stell FE over the Certate 2500R (which is a beast reel) and the other reels on this list were:

Overall longevity...I am talking 10+ years of fishing heavier bass techs, walleyes, pike, lake trout, wipers. Lures will be upwards of 3/4oz and there will be power techs involved like big jerkbaits and 3/4oz lipless rattlebaits.

I wanted a smaller profile, lighter weight, much better IPTs, same power on drag, more durable roller bearing, a little less line capacity, but equal power in cranking, equal or better smoothness/refinement/quality build and performance. From what I can gather, there really wasn't another "2500" sized reel that met or exceeded my criteria - other than the Stella 2500FD or FE.

I would have purchased an FD, but pricing on these reels were as high, if not higher the the BF deals on the FE, so the choice for me was simplified. Additionally, no one seems to have, or want to part with their Stella FD or FE reels...

Anyway, time on the water will tell the tale.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

socalsteez
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by socalsteez » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:05 pm

high $$ spinners = worth the change....my .02

congrats on a solid reel, i hope to add one to my spinning collection soon

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:41 pm

socalsteez wrote:high $$ spinners = worth the change....my .02
X2

Seems spinners are more popular in the Japanese market with all their variations and limited editions.

Let us know how its works out Dragon. I'm on the fence on a new Highgear certate 2506 or Stella FE.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:25 pm

BASSLAYER wrote:Let us know how its works out Dragon. I'm on the fence on a new Highgear certate 2506 or Stella FE.
That reel was the hardest decision...with the US Dollar vs Japanese Yen exchange rate being so goofy, and the deal that I got (actually a 23% overall savings vs retail when free shipping is added on)...the Stella FE won my confidence...and my pocket book of course.

I will post my findings and will put together pics of the custom Lamiglas XMG 50 LP844 custom 7'3" that this Stella will be mated to.

Oh yeah...this post started this whole thang for me: http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... ilit=2500r

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:36 pm

I doubted my decision buying a Certate 2500 a few years ago. I'm glad I did. I don't usually use the spinning rod but I love having it just in case lol. Anyway, would love to see a pic of that combo. I've always wanted a Stella!

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Two Steez spinning reels (2500 and 2508) were my first "enthusiast" reels and have continued to operate as smooth as the day I purchased them in 2007. But after acquiring a Pixzilla and Presszilla, I had no plans for any additional spinning reels. That is until someone "who shall not be named" stopped by my office with a Stella 3000 FE.
:evil22:
After he beat my resistance down ("resistance is futile"), I now have my third spinning reel :big grin:. It is currently paired with a Dobyns DX792SF and spooled with 20lb Daiwa Samurai braid and 15lb fluoro leader. After fishing twice with the combination, I have to agree with all of the superlatives that describe the Stella. While not as light as my Steez spinning reels, the Stella combined with the DX792 is balanced so well that the weight difference is not noticeable.

Doc

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:28 pm

dragon1,

For a long time now I've wanted to try fishing with a Stella, but can never seem to get past the price tag. When I look at the specs and have had an opportunity to crank a demo model, there seem to be many enhanced features I would undboubtedly greatly appreciate. I think you hit the nail on the head -- it would be very good to know if the stella life expectancy is any longer than other spinning reels. Hope you enjoy your new reel!

SusitnaSalmonGuide
Quantum, HL Outdoors - ESB Bobbers, Pautzke Bait Company, Sufix

OnlyOneCanoli
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OnlyOneCanoli » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:58 am

Did you get your stela yet if so how do you like it? I am seriously contimplating selling my Exist steez custom 2004 and my exist 2508 to fund a stella purchase. What do you think I havent has a stella for 10 years and when I bought it then for 400 I thought that was expensive. I definitly would love to hear your habds on experience before I make any hasty decisions. Thanks and good luck with her Im sude you will love her.
Sal

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:21 pm

DrPerf wrote:Two Steez spinning reels (2500 and 2508) were my first "enthusiast" reels and have continued to operate as smooth as the day I purchased them in 2007. But after acquiring a Pixzilla and Presszilla, I had no plans for any additional spinning reels. That is until someone "who shall not be named" stopped by my office with a Stella 3000 FE.

After he beat my resistance down ("resistance is futile"), I now have my third spinning reel . It is currently paired with a Dobyns DX792SF and spooled with 20lb Daiwa Samurai braid and 15lb fluoro leader. After fishing twice with the combination, I have to agree with all of the superlatives that describe the Stella. While not as light as my Steez spinning reels, the Stella combined with the DX792 is balanced so well that the weight difference is not noticeable.

Doc
Kool Doc...the "masked enthusiast persuader" part is darn funny!

Otherwise gents, the reel was shipped regular 3-5 day ground yesterday. I hope to get some preliminaries on it by just handling it...getting it on "open water" will be the real challenge. ](*,)

Bass Oreno
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bass Oreno » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:22 pm

I have a Stella 2500 FE and i can assure you this the best spinning reel ! I sold my Steez , because the Stella is so much a masterpiece, my Steez was a very good reel, but he don't feel solid has my Stella !

QuitLookinAtMyItos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by QuitLookinAtMyItos » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:18 pm

Dragon,

My experience with the Stella lineup is limited, although once upon a time I had my hands on two Shimano Stella 2500SS Millenium Editions. I wound up selling one and using the other extensively. Hands-down the smoothest spinning reels I have ever fished. Tolerances felt extremely tight and made the reel perform in a manner that I honestly can't describe. Drag was super smooth as well. The Millenium Editions were produced in 200 and a limited amount of them were made. They also came with the same finish as the Calais. They were extremely scratch resistant and durable as all get out. Each reel came in a small aluminum briefcase loaded with tools and such and the initial owners could choose to have the non-handle side nut cover engraved with their own personal attributes (i.e. initials). Alas, I sold this reel as well to a buyer in Australia and I'm sure he reaped the benefits of my loss.

All in all I believe you made a great investment in your recent acquisition of a Stella, regardless of the model. Beware though, your entire spinning arsenal may one day be comprised of a family of Stellas. Enjoy!
JDM quality is unsurpassed. Period.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:32 pm

Somewhere in this fine city...Stella is working her way home to me...

Waiting....waiting...waiting.... =P~ 8-[ :whistle: