Better for crankbaits? Sol or Chronarch 51mg?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Better for crankbaits? Sol or Chronarch 51mg?

Post by karirick » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:21 am

Buck,
Thank you for the detailed reply. Exactly what I was looking for. I will be handling the Ch 201E5 tomorrow and will make the call soon after.

Rick

DanfromMD
Angler
Angler

Post by DanfromMD » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:47 pm

Its 2015...I have all the new shimano stuff...still one of my favorite reels the... Daiwa sol. It casts so many lures well, Ill never sell it.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:52 am

fishingandfords wrote:My 50mg can make a small crank fly plus it's a favorite among shimano fans so I wouldnt sell it
Dude...c'mon, when would you ever choose a "D" over any "S"? :P FWIW, f&f is correct in that the CH50MG is harder to procure than a Sol, however there are plenty of JDM versions in the Alphas platform (with aluminum gears)

Go off the IPT and feel in your hands. Personally, I like a lower gear ratio (with brass gears) for cranks, unless it is for shallow cranks and/or lipless (which I prefer a higher gear ratio + brass gears if available).

I would be more apt to use the CH 50MG for 1/4oz - 1/2oz topwaters, jerkbaits, small-med lipless, shallow-mid divers, plastics/jigs up to 3/8oz.

The Sol, I like for power moving techs of all sorts, but the 5.8:1 is a little slow for plastics/jigs and/or lipless. But for all other moving techs up to 3/4oz, I like it fine.

Good luck as both are exceptionally good every day multi-purpose reels.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:27 am

I have 3 Sols and a Alpha Type R and thinking of adding a MB Zonda. But I just can't sell one even thought I have too many reels. I decided to add a Type R spool to one to pitch and a Zondz spool to another to use for crankbaits to add additional line. Sols are pretty good out of the box, but add spool bearings, carbontex drag washers and you got something else. If you're having problems deciding which reel to give up, that just means you should kept them both. :D

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:54 am

I don't own a Sol, but you will never find a better reel for light stuff than the MG50.
I own four, and wish I had more.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:27 am

as I recall too, the alpha was so slow on line pickup. Charging fish and no way to catch up. Rarely in many years of MG50 use have I felt that way.