Ballistic or Patriarch Spinning Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
walleyejgr
Angler
Angler

Ballistic or Patriarch Spinning Reel

Post by walleyejgr » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Looking at both reels leaning towards the Daiwa. Just not sure about the Zion material , possible to get some feed back on this stuff . Looking at the 2000 in the Daiwa and the 30 series in the Pflueger . Will be going on a Phenix Recon PHX-S692L Med-Lite/fast . Will be using Seaguar Senshi 6lb or Kanzen 15lb line . Have used Pflueger for a while but seem to wear them out relatively fast . Mainly Fish for Walleye in the river so a lot of casting and reeling . Just looking for the best bang for my money . Thanks

NYBASSIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ballistic or Patriarch Spinning Reel

Post by NYBASSIN » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:47 am

walleyejgr wrote:Looking at both reels leaning towards the Daiwa. Just not sure about the Zion material , possible to get some feed back on this stuff . Looking at the 2000 in the Daiwa and the 30 series in the Pflueger . Will be going on a Phenix Recon PHX-S692L Med-Lite/fast . Will be using Seaguar Senshi 6lb or Kanzen 15lb line . Have used Pflueger for a while but seem to wear them out relatively fast . Mainly Fish for Walleye in the river so a lot of casting and reeling . Just looking for the best bang for my money . Thanks
I think you answered your own question with your last statement. If got looking for bang for you buck daiwa should be the first brand crossed off your list.

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:35 am

Haven't used the daiwa but the patriarchs are sweet reels! I have an xt buddy has the top of the line one. No problems light and smooth.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:47 am

Zion is graphite filled plastic. It's basically plastic.

The Pflueger will be lighter and more sensitive.

I don't like the new Daiwas... too much plastic and they raised the gear ratios... they used to have some special reels, now they seem to be just another "me too" reel.

NYBASSIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NYBASSIN » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:13 pm

Snyder Rods wrote:Zion is graphite filled plastic. It's basically plastic.

The Pflueger will be lighter and more sensitive.

I don't like the new Daiwas... too much plastic and they raised the gear ratios... they used to have some special reels, now they seem to be just another "me too" reel.
Just out of curiosity what is a "me too" reel.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:28 pm

"me too" definition:

Average. Like the majority of the others. Manufacturer "A" says, "My reel does this". Manufacturer "B" says, "mine does too!"

For at least 13 years, Daiwa was known for having unique spinning reels with lower gear ratios than most, such as 4.9:1, 4.7:1, and 4.8:1. They were smoother because of it. Many of the new reels are now higher like Shimano and others.

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Snyder Rods wrote: For at least 13 years, Daiwa was known for having unique spinning reels with lower gear ratios than most, such as 4.9:1, 4.7:1, and 4.8:1. They were smoother because of it. Many of the new reels are now higher like Shimano and others.
reason why I have a Certate 2000 and sold my Stradic 2500MgFB. 8-)
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Big Al » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:25 am

The Patriarch is the smoothest reel I've tried. I opted for the Gander Mtn X Factor reel. It is made in the same place as the Patriarch and has the same gear ratio. Been using them all summer with 20 lb braid and they are smooth. They are $150 right now but a couple of months ago were on special for $100. I have the 30 size.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:42 am

I have the Patriarch 9525 reel and love it. It just feels like the real deal. Super super light, very smooth retrieve with no wobble. I like the EVA knob. The bail has a firm click to it. It doesnt feel cheap in any way. My only issue is after changing spools, the drag cap/tensioner is kind of a b*tch to get back on properly.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

hherrera
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hherrera » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:16 pm

I have try the Daiwa Freams which in my opinion is the brother of the Ballistic, and let me tell you I have put this reel trough serious punishment on surffishing and I´m really happy with it. I catch some 6 to 8 pounder cudas and the reel feel smooth and tight. The drag is also really good.

just my opinion.
Hugo

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:35 pm

If you can learn to like GREEN...the Verde-Fuego Cabela's 50th is a Fuego 2500A. If I recall correctly, original retail was just under $300? I bought one for my kiddo and it is a great reel for the dough...granted that I wouldn't want any type of plastic/Zaion/Ci4/graphite on a spinner for my personal spinning reel if I could help it.

For the current listed price, the only reel I would covet more in the $200 range would be the Certates that BPS had. The better line lay and drag, body rigidity, cranking power and polish of the Certate is rather noticeable vs the Verde-Fuego Cabela's reel.

Good luck.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

rakuin79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rakuin79 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:24 pm

I have a patriarch for a custom ultralight build and its the best spinning reel I have ever used.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:03 am

rakuin79 wrote:I have a patriarch for a custom ultralight build and its the best spinning reel I have ever used.
+1 on that. I'm a quantum fan, own mostly shimanos and don't even like the look of the patriarch. But this reel with a ML rod rocks. Lighter than fuego, smoother than sustain. Just awesome
www.facebook.com/MCY.LO

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:42 am

It would seem that the Ballistic spinning reel is really quite untested, as it is much newer to the market than the Patriarch.

street fish
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by street fish » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:58 pm

:D
rakuin79 wrote:I have a patriarch for a custom ultralight build and its the best spinning reel I have ever used.