Daiwa T3 vs Abu Barcia MGX

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Daiwa T3 vs Abu Barcia MGX

Post by Teal101 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:45 pm

It's about time people speak up for Abu. All the iCast threads are full of people calling the 7.9 a "false ratio".
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:02 pm

thats because it is...
stress-what happens between fishing trips

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:17 pm

both are hot little numbers for sure....but, too me, the t3 is quite innovative and i have to try it! the mgx is cool, and i am sure very nice, but nothing new really....it is about 12 years late for that :lol:

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:18 pm

Boondock wrote:
ecu daniel 14 wrote:well first off there are is more to "gear ratios" then what the label says....you have to look at inches per turn...abu's 7.9:1 gear ratio is essentially just your common 7.0:1 in inches per turn...false advertising if you ask me...
How do you figure? Wouldn't it be false advertising if they labeled it as 7.0.1 if the spool turns 7.9 time per turn.
Do you think the Curado 50 is false advertising too with its 6.4.1 but the citica with the same ratio picks up more line. ](*,) :roll:

Seems like they wanted over 30"s per turn and it took that ratio to get it with the compact profile and small spool.
Haters I tell ya. BTW I don't own a single Abu Garcia reel

MGX seems like more of a finesse reel to me...
T3 more of a all around reel. Could be wrong haven't seen the line caps anywhere yet.
Also take into consideration the weight of each reel.
Well perhaps it isn't false advertising but I think what ecu_daniel is trying to convey is that the 7:9:1 Gear Ratio is more of a selling point than anything - like that of a gimick. The MGX is the only reel I have seen touted with 7:9:1 Gear that only matches 7:1:1 gears. Therefore to the uneducated, 7:9:1 is way better.....thus as I stated its a selling and marketing propoganda. Until ABU Proves it on paper that because of the small profile, they had to change gear ratios to get the 31" IPT....its just as I state - Marketing propoganda.

MGX does fit the Finesse application but is it? Until we get good review, I'll wait to past judgement. Unlike the Pixy line of reels, the Pixy has been proven a true finesse.

T3 is designed as an all around reel. Line Capacity: 14/120 16/100 Max Drag: 13.2lbs Gear Ratios: 6:3:1 @ 26.3 IPT, 7:1:1 @ 29.5 IPT

T3 @ 6.5oz
T3 @ 7.8oz
MGX @ 5.4oz (Sorry I origianly posted 5.5oz)
Last edited by Buck2thPerch on Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:22 pm

you have a gift my friend, a gift of taking my thoughts and putting them into words....I am horrible at explaining my own thoughts haha. Pretty much that is what I was getting after..its all marketing for the uneducated.

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:25 pm

Thought the MGX was 5.4 thus making it lighter than the Core or Steez.
No other brands have marketing propaganda right? :lol: :roll: :roll:

Would rather be a uneducated consumer and buy a 7.9.1 thats like a 7.1 than buy a Chronarch E that you think is better than the Curado E or as good or better than the Chronarch D. :doh:
Damn bunch of Abu haters on here IMO.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm not an Abu hater...in fact, I own quite a few Abu products....I'm simple Just stating the facts and these facts are true. Maybe you are the uneducated angler who is being pulled in by Abu's marketing? It seems that I'm not the hater here, you are. You are hating on me because I have a different opinion about Abu's current product line. And yes you are correct, it is 5.4 oz. But of course, that's probably false too...I bet if you take a premier and throw it on a digital scale it doesnt read 6.7 oz.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:39 pm

Boondock wrote:Thought the MGX was 5.4 thus making it lighter than the Core or Steez.
No other brands have marketing propaganda right? :lol: :roll: :roll:

Would rather be a uneducated consumer and buy a 7.9.1 thats like a 7.1 than buy a Chronarch E that you think is better than the Curado E or as good or better than the Chronarch D. :doh:
Damn bunch of Abu haters on here IMO.
Correct Boondock the MGX is 5.4oz. My fault. I will fix it.

I also did not state that only ABU has marketing propagand as you are insinuating. All retailers, manufacturers, anyone that sells anything or has anything to sell has marketing propaganda. In this case I was be specific about ABU's 7:9:1 Gear Ratio.

Very true and I agree with you that I would rather buy the 7:9:1 vs 7:1:1 if I am uneducated but thats the whole point, its a marketing scheme until proven by facts from ABU.

I doubt anyone hates ABU.......rather you are being a bit naive to jump to conclusions.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Personnally I would go with the MGX. Just don't have enough ABU.

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:52 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:I'm not an Abu hater...in fact, I own quite a few Abu products....I'm simple Just stating the facts and these facts are true. Maybe you are the uneducated angler who is being pulled in by Abu's marketing? It seems that I'm not the hater here, you are. You are hating on me because I have a different opinion about Abu's current product line. And yes you are correct, it is 5.4 oz. But of course, that's probably false too...I bet if you take a premier and throw it on a digital scale it doesnt read 6.7 oz.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did you not read my last post?
So A Citica has 6.2:1 gears and 27" IPT
While the Curado 50 has 6.4:1 25" IPT
So I that all marketing too? Since the uneducated angler would think the 6.4:1 would be faster than the 6.2:1.
Your argument holds no weight! Just like how this was posted, "A Shimano Tiagra TI130A pulls in 39 inches per crank on a 2:2.1 gear ratio".
Just because the ratio is higher than any other low profile bass reel doesn't mean they are trying to pull one over on anglers. Not like the info isn't readily available on their website.
http://www.abugarcia.com/products/reels ... o/revo-mgx

BTW Maybe you should be responding to this post.
http://forums.tackletour.com/viewt=30494topic.php?f=66&

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:02 pm

Boondock wrote:
ecu daniel 14 wrote:I'm not an Abu hater...in fact, I own quite a few Abu products....I'm simple Just stating the facts and these facts are true. Maybe you are the uneducated angler who is being pulled in by Abu's marketing? It seems that I'm not the hater here, you are. You are hating on me because I have a different opinion about Abu's current product line. And yes you are correct, it is 5.4 oz. But of course, that's probably false too...I bet if you take a premier and throw it on a digital scale it doesnt read 6.7 oz.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So I that all marketing too? Since the uneducated angler would think the 6.4:1 would be faster than the 6.2:1.
Your argument holds no weight! Just like how this was posted, "A Shimano Tiagra TI130A pulls in 39 inches per crank on a 2:2.1 gear ratio".
Just because the ratio is higher than any other low profile bass reel doesn't mean they are trying to pull one over on anglers. Not like the info isn't readily available on their website.

did you not see my previous post replying to that?????????? I said yup and yup...that means YES I AGREE WITH YOU, YES I AGREE WITH YOU....see you are uneducated...

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:09 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:
Boondock wrote:

did you not see my previous post replying to that?????????? I said yup and yup...that means YES I AGREE WITH YOU, YES I AGREE WITH YOU....see you are uneducated...
You never said YUP YUP =; ](*,)
Your words
hater here, you are. You are hating on me because I have a different opinion about Abu's current product line. And yes you are correct, it is 5.4 oz. But of course, that's probably false too...I bet if you take a premier and throw it on a digital scale it doesnt read 6.7 oz.
Put one on a scale then... I have put my shimanos and Daiwas on the scale and they are right on. Why would you doubt abu?
Pointless to even post anything to you. Have seen it in plenty of your other posts as well. Anyways good fishing to ya.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:11 pm

excuse me, i said "yes and yes" my bad...

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:06 pm

Reeltor wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:Wouldn't a 7.9 have less power then a 7.1 regardless of the IPT?

Alex, my thoughts exactly. I love the IVCB braking system but my fear is the MGX will feel overworked with any resistance baits. Will have to wait on a review and see if the oversized gear makes a difference before I buy one. :D
Besides struggling with any resistance bait, how will it handle a 7 lb bass? I'm guessing horsing it in will not be an option.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:12 pm

GARRIGA wrote:
Reeltor wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:Wouldn't a 7.9 have less power then a 7.1 regardless of the IPT?

Alex, my thoughts exactly. I love the IVCB braking system but my fear is the MGX will feel overworked with any resistance baits. Will have to wait on a review and see if the oversized gear makes a difference before I buy one. :D
Besides struggling with any resistance bait, how will it handle a 7 lb bass? I'm guessing horsing it in will not be an option.
We're all going in to all of these new reels with eyes wide open. Who knows, maybe the 7:1 MGX will prove to be the prime choice. I'm curious to see how compact they are. :-k
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)