Non-Disengaging vs. Disengaging

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Non-Disengaging vs. Disengaging

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:19 am

I here a lot of negative talk about the Pluton and Z for having a disengaging level wind and wondering if on a narrow 200 size reel or smaller if it really matters. Ironically most of Shimano's US offerings in a 200 size are also disengaging. What I've read is that with a narrow spool it's not an issue and one gets a longer cast to boot. I haven't hooked anything big yet on these reels so I just don't know. I know this has been discussed before but curious to know of any recent experience and specially with the Pluton, Ryoga or Z and large drag pulling fish.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Non-Disengaging vs. Disengaging

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:42 pm

This has always been my take on it.

If it gets to the point that damage can occur to the reel due to line coming off the spool while not being syncronized with the level wind. Its time to educate your thumb and get rid of the levelwind altogether.

If your fishing for fish that make long runs on heavy drags. And are fished with a reel with a spool wide enough that the extreme angle to the levelwind could actually cause it damage. Get a lever drag, or open frame star drag .

disengaging level wind reel the line fights itself as it funnels through the line guide while flowing of the spool on the cast.
Non disengaging level winds reduce the friction caused by the line hitting the levelwind. But at the same time It has to turn the worm gear, and the pawl traveling through the worm gear's race adds even more.

When it comes to freshwater bass reels. I'd go with disengaging. As its less wear and tear on the worm/pawl. And you don't have to worry about reeling cut line through the levelwind. Once the end of the line gets on the spool. Have fun getting it back into synch. Bass reels are narrow enough, and bass don't fight much at all to begin with. I mean. At five pounds of drag. A 6lb bass may only take what??? 20' of line max.

Once you get 1 crank into the retreive, even a monster hookset with heavy braid, and a herculian swimbait or flipping stick wont damage the levelwind. As its already synced. Once your past the hookset see comment above. But even still. With narrow reels its not a concern.

Regardless of everything mentioned. It is good to keep a back up pawl for each baitcaster that sees regular use.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:01 pm

Just want to add. The only time I've ever seen levelwinds fail from being out of sync. Were Catastrophic. LOL

Both were Abu's and both were user error.
One guy had a run off while fishing bait, with the reel in freespool and the clicker on. He set the hook without engaging the reel and backlashed the reel. He then made a hero hookset immediatley after engaging the reel. And with a locked down drag, a rod capable of swinging 15lb fish, and 65lb braid. ONe leg of the levelwind pulled out and it bent to one side. Causing it to jamb after a crank or two.

The other was on a Morrum 7000cl. With the Morrum's wimpy clickers. A hit and run backlashed the 80lb braid. And on the hookset did pretty much the same thing.

One DSG and one NDSG. But it took a lot of force to do any damage on reels with heavy line heavy drag with big fish in heavy current. And mind you these were 10' 50# class rods.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:17 am

Thanks for the reply that's good information.