Shimano Reels Positives from ICAST

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BassCatDan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano Reels Positives from ICAST

Post by BassCatDan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:04 am

Hello Everyone,

I know most everyone is bummed at what Shimano did with their lineup. Lots of perplexing things.

However, some good came out of this:

1. More gear ratios for both righties and lefties. Really, no 6:1 ratio before in a Curado?
2. Chronarch 50E, although apparently a rebadged Curado 50E, now has the upgraded handle and drag
3. None of us have tried the new reels yet so we don't know how good the souped up Caenan steel frame can be. It may be stellar. Likewise, the new Chronarch may have more hidden refinement (don't know what)
4. Weight reduction in the Curado 200g.
5. If you still want the old Curados, there are a bunch on sale for super savings
6. Everyone who loved the Curado E can still buy new Chronarch Es for $20 more and get the midline gear ratio and upgraded drag system.
....just another fish-a-holic.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Reels Positives from ICAST

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:19 am

BassCatDan wrote:Hello Everyone,

I know most everyone is bummed at what Shimano did with their lineup. Lots of perplexing things.

1. More gear ratios for both righties and lefties. Really, no 6:1 ratio before in a Curado?
2. Chronarch 50E, although apparently a rebadged Curado 50E, now has the upgraded handle and drag
3. None of us have tried the new reels yet so we don't know how good the souped up Caenan steel frame can be. It may be stellar. Likewise, the new Chronarch may have more hidden refinement (don't know what)
5. If you still want the old Curados, there are a bunch on sale for super savings
6. Everyone who loved the Curado E can still buy new Chronarch Es for $20 more and get the midline gear ratio and upgraded drag system.
Optimistic....you are. Very good points.

Regardless, I want TT to take the picture of the huge EGG in the middle of Shimano's booth.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

BassCatDan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassCatDan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:22 am

Optimistic....you are. Very good points.

Regardless, I want TT to take the picture of the huge EGG in the middle of Shimano's booth.

That's funny. Looking for the positives. Maybe in a few months the negative buzz will wear off.

NOTE: I like your handle...

Thanks,
Dan
....just another fish-a-holic.

Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Speckled » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:37 am

BassCatDan wrote:Hello Everyone,

Who knows [-o< .

Maybe, just maybe Shimano really "Souped Up" the Curado and the NEW Chronarch E will really perform like a Bat-out-of-Hell [-o< .

Wishing2BFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by Wishing2BFishing » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:02 am

Some additional positives:

1. the new Stradic and Sustain
2. they removed the "bump" on some of the new reel frames. I only wish the bump wasn't on the new Chronarch.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:37 am

BassCatDan wrote:3. None of us have tried the new reels yet so we don't know how good the souped up Caenan steel frame can be. It may be stellar. Likewise, the new Chronarch may have more hidden refinement (don't know what)
That may very well be true.

A case in point: Superficially, the CH-50mg appears to be nothing but a lightened/rebadged/souped up Curado 100 yet it feels and performs so much better than the reel it's based on. It's a much more refined reel compared to the Curado 100B (how does the CH-50mg compare to the CU-100D--I've never had a 100D?).

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:39 am

Wishing2BFishing wrote: I only wish the bump wasn't on the new Chronarch.
The new Chronarch with the bump...is the old Curado 200E with the bump......
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Speckled » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:41 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:
Wishing2BFishing wrote: I only wish the bump wasn't on the new Chronarch.
The new Chronarch with the bump...is the old Curado 200E with the bump......
Souped up, though 8-) :lol: .

Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Speckled » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:59 am

SLM wrote:
BassCatDan wrote:3. None of us have tried the new reels yet so we don't know how good the souped up Caenan steel frame can be. It may be stellar. Likewise, the new Chronarch may have more hidden refinement (don't know what)
That may very well be true.

A case in point: Superficially, the CH-50mg appears to be nothing but a lightened/rebadged/souped up Curado 100 yet it feels and performs so much better than the reel it's based on. It's a much more refined reel compared to the Curado 100B (how does the CH-50mg compare to the CU-100D--I've never had a 100D?).
Very simular reels are the Chronarch 50MG & Curado 100D. Other than the MG frame, basicly the same reel. Oh, and the spool off the 50MG is lighter.

The 100D was much smoother than the 100B ;) .

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:10 am

Wishing2BFishing wrote:Some additional positives:

2. they removed the "bump" on some of the new reel frames. I only wish the bump wasn't on the new Chronarch.
the new stradic looks AMAZING

but I can't believe they put the awful EVA foam handle that many people hate on the new Sustain.

wasn't shimano listening to all the negativity expressed about the EVA foam grips on the CI4 stradic spinning reels?

the GL2 rods look amazing too (sort of a shimano product LOL)

hit and miss overall

db220
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by db220 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:43 am

The biggest positive for me is that Shimano has given me no reason to "upgrade" any of my Chronarchs or Curados which will save me a ton of money.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:56 am

It's all speculation until the new lineup has actual on-the-water use... only time will tell.

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:01 am

can't wait for a shoot out review from TT.
Let's go fishing!!!

db220
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by db220 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:07 am

Speculation or not I'm betting that a $199 "Chronarch" won't out perform the D7's. Like I said, for me there's no reason to upgrade. I'm happy with the Shimanos that I own today and I'm a Shimano fan overall.

PancakeFace22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PancakeFace22 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:17 am

Hulkster wrote:
Wishing2BFishing wrote:Some additional positives:

the new stradic looks AMAZING

but I can't believe they put the awful EVA foam handle that many people hate on the new Sustain.

wasn't shimano listening to all the negativity expressed about the EVA foam grips on the CI4 stradic spinning reels?

the GL2 rods look amazing too (sort of a shimano product LOL)

hit and miss overall
Actually I honestly like the EVA foam knobs on the Stradic Ci4, so that won't bother me at all on the new Sustain. And that along with the Ci4 rotor and X-Ship make the Sustain pretty appealing to me. I'll probably be picking up one in the 1000 size once they're released.