Okuma

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Okuma

Post by falcon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:21 pm

I've never used a okuma product but I'm really impressed and love the looks of their 2 top of the line baitcasters.

I'm really considering buying one but very unsure of their quality.

Okuma deserves some love.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Okuma

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Ive got two Okumas...one Serrano and one very inexpensive spinning reel...IMO the Serrano is better then the Curado and Revo SX...I havent tried the Daiwa Advantage or the Lew's Tournament Pro to say its the best reel at that price point...but I wouldnt doubt it...

the new Helios from Okuma looks exactly like the Serrano but with a carbon handle and eva knobs...for $200 thats a killer deal. Im going to get a Lew's sometime and ill let you know how it compares to the Serrano...
stress-what happens between fishing trips

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:57 pm

I have been using a couple of Serrano's since early this spring. IMO, it is a VERY good reel. It casts very well, and for me, farther and more easily than the Curado E. It's retrieve is very Daiwa-like in that it isn't buttery smoothness, but connected. The brake settings are very easy to adjust. It's got micro click on drag and the spool tensioner. The list goes on and on.

In the time that I have used the reel, I have only found a couple of things that I don't like. The knobs on the handle are a bit small. Also, the sideplate completely detaches when brake adjustments are necessary. Some may find the handle a bit short too, and early on I thought that it was too. But after fishing the reel for several months, I don't even notice it anymore.

Overall, I like the Serrano much more than the Curado E 200's. I like almost as much as my Fuego's. If the new Komodo and Helios are anything like it, I'll be selling off some stuff to pick a few up.
Last edited by bassbandit on Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:11 pm

Very good to hear. I wonder how the TT test reel is doing? They gave it a great review when they tested it.

Little update reports from the gang would be very nice on gear. It doesn't have to be elaborate or pic loaded just post little updates.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:20 pm

I agree, the knobs are pretty tiny...in fact the whole reel is tiny....takes some getting used to at first...the new models look like they have larger handles and much larger knobs which is a good thing
stress-what happens between fishing trips