my assessment of the new baitcast reels from ICAST:

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: my assessment of the new baitcast reels from ICAST:

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:35 pm

dusty wrote:controlling a simple machine like a rod with your non dominant hand makes more sense than controlling a complex machine like a reel (speed of retrieve, adjustment of drag, etc.) with your non dominant hand.

right hand retrieve or bust
The machine may be simple, but the manipulation of a rod is not. Unless you define working a bait, setting the hook well at the right time and controlling a lever with an unpredictable load on it simple...then I'd agree. O:)

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 pm

I thought this thread was about the ICAST BC but anyway... I can't wrap my head around tossing with my right hand and then switching simultaneously on the bite to hook and reel a bass. Just seems wrong. Feel like one miscalculated move could result in the rod/reel going away. How many times have you been bit as soon as the lure touched the water? Who ever is that fast to switch is extremely talented. Seems the easiest solution is to cast with one and retrieve with the other. Then again, I'm a lefty and perhaps my brain works differently then the 90%. ](*,)

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:14 pm

Switching hands is a waste of time and energy... enough said.

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:34 pm

I think this years icast was a great show in general, a lot of thing to see and read, some company disappoint us some came out with a bang, daiwa didn't dissapoint readers here like last years, quantum has a good innovation this year same as last year, abu came out with a great upset, shimano made a move in repositioning their product. Only time will tell who is going to be successfull tomorrow.

gorilla style
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gorilla style » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:37 pm

LOL its funny looking at all these Daiwatards putting Shimano down because Daiwa released something other than another Zillion with different paint :lol: Im willing to wager Shimano will sell more new Curados than Daiwa will sell the Pixy, Z200 and T3 combined. :lol:

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:04 am

gorilla style wrote:LOL its funny looking at all these Daiwatards putting Shimano down because Daiwa released something other than another Zillion with different paint :lol: Im willing to wager Shimano will sell more new Curados than Daiwa will sell the Pixy, Z200 and T3 combined. :lol:
The new Curado isn't really a Curado.

I wonder how many remember when Coke tried to change it's formula. What a marketing nightmare that was.

BTW, I'm not a Daiwatard, I own or have owned Daiwa, Shimano, Penn, Quantum, the original Zebco, Abu Garcia (including Revos), Okuma, G Loomis, ST. Croix, Shakespeare, Dobyns, Finn Noir and I'm sure I've forgotten a few. I doubt many are going to buy the Z, not sold on the T3, can see some sales of the Pixy R but that's not targeting the BPS and Walmart shopper so I don't expect large sales figures of that either.

Shimano has targeted the higher volume shopper into assuming they are getting more bang for the dollar by dressing up lower tier products by renaming it with last years higher priced and higher value unobtainable to some. Sounds like a scam to me. Some may eventually say this is marketing genius but what if the lower tier targeted fisherman becomes educated to what's really happened and out lashes as we have seen on this forum by those that may know the difference between the true Chronarch and this year's imposter.

Reminds me of the game show "To Tell The Truth" where contestants are asked "Will the real [person's name] please stand up?". :-k

PainInTheBass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PainInTheBass » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:36 am

gorilla style wrote:LOL its funny looking at all these Daiwatards putting Shimano down because Daiwa released something other than another Zillion with different paint :lol: Im willing to wager Shimano will sell more new Curados than Daiwa will sell the Pixy, Z200 and T3 combined. :lol:
Really? Daiwatards? Was that necessary? You just made someone look like an arse, and it sure wasn't the "Daiwatards".

And this feedback to Shimano's changes is very similar to the feedback to Daiwa's USDM Aggrest, which is based on a lower end reel platform :shock: . This type of response onTT will happen to anyone who makes a similar move I think.
My fishing antics @ paininthebass.blogspot.com

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:49 am

PainInTheBass wrote:
Really? Daiwatards? Was that necessary? You just made someone look like an arse, and it sure wasn't the "Daiwatards".

And this feedback to Shimano's changes is very similar to the feedback to Daiwa's USDM Aggrest, which is based on a lower end reel platform :shock: . This type of response onTT will happen to anyone who makes a similar move I think.
Exactly. The Aggrest was beated down here because it was a dressed up Exceler...buy both Shimanobots and Daiwaists.

Shimano turned a very nice Curado into a dressed up Caenan. Then turned an excellent Chronarch into a repainted Curado for $20 more. That also leaves a hole in the lineup from $200 to $350...no Shimano reel in that price point.

That is why folks are wondering that is going on.

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:00 am

If you only buy from one reel company, you are a fool.
If you can't recognize what Shimano has done to a couple classic reels, you are a blind fool.
MegabassUSA.com

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:18 am

PainInTheBass wrote:

Pain is correct.....ON BOTH COUNTS. There maybe alot of Daiwa "Fanatics" (Notice "Fanatics" is not derogatory) but most do not resort to slanderous remarks. Rather most of the Daiwa Fanatics counter with facts and sense.

I owned 6 Curado 200E, 6 Curado B's, and 4 Revo STX's with a bunch of other reels here and there. In no way are the Curado's and Revo's on the level of refinement as the ZIllion. With Daiwa when they renamed or rebadged the ZIllions, at least they kept the form and high level of craftsmanship on each iteration. Ofcourse Shimano did the same thing. But the difference is, the quality (on paper) went down dramatically. THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE between DAIWA's many versions of its Zillion vs what Shimano just did this ICAST. I own mostly Daiwa Reels now but I am no "Tard" as you are insinuating. I have owned 90% Shimano products for the past 12yrs. After getting a few T3's and Pixy-R's this year, next year my plans are to obtain a few Core 50MG and give this Revo MGX a try. One thing to note though, sure, Daiwa Reels and products are more expensive but at least I know when I buy Daiwa's higher end reels from the Zillions on up, I know my reels are the best in the industry and lasts forever with the best crafstmanship. My 6yrs old Fuego(my very first high end Daiwa reel after jumping ship from Shimano)....no issues. My 3yrs old Revo STX's....grinding noise and looseness in the handles and just doesn't sound good no matter how many times I tear them completely apart and relube/reoil every pinion, gear, bearing etc. My Curado 100B's are the epitome of what Shimano used to be.

A good analogy: Daiwa's Zillions reels and on up are equally the Lexus of high end cars. I have had a Lexus LS400 since 1995 with over 300,000 Miles and it still runs and purrs like the day I bought it. Shimano have always been like that of Honda but this year they pulled a GM of the 80's....they took a great powerful V-8 300+ HP with lots or room of the Chevy NOVA, grabed toyota's Corolla and slapped the NOVA name it - 4 Cylinders, 100HP?(maybe not even 100hp), no leg room, small compact....list goes on. And for those that remember the Chevy (Toyota Corolla) Nova from the 80's, if you were like me, you shook your head in dismay and didn't buy a single Chevy until I needed a Suburban for hauling the kids and boat. Yes I do know Toyota and Lexus are just the same company but extrapolating the distinct points in each analogy is relevant.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:32 am

Tokugawa wrote:
PainInTheBass wrote:

Exactly. The Aggrest was beated down here because it was a dressed up Exceler...buy both Shimanobots and Daiwaists.

Shimano turned a very nice Curado into a dressed up Caenan. Then turned an excellent Chronarch into a repainted Curado for $20 more. That also leaves a hole in the lineup from $200 to $350...no Shimano reel in that price point.

That is why folks are wondering that is going on.
WOAH WOAH WOAH!!! With the Aggrest, at least Diawa took a lower end Exceler and supertuned it by making it better. Versus Shimano going backwards - Higher end to low end for a new reel: Curado 200E -> used Canean + More bearings -> New Curado G. Chronarch D -> used Curado 200E -> Chronarch E.......

Say what you will.....Shimano had the playboy playmates and dumped them to get with a bunch or Rosanne Barr.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:09 am

Buck2thPerch wrote: WOAH WOAH WOAH!!! With the Aggrest, at least Diawa took a lower end Exceler and supertuned it by making it better. Versus Shimano going backwards - Higher end to low end for a new reel: Curado 200E -> used Canean + More bearings -> New Curado G. Chronarch D -> used Curado 200E -> Chronarch E.......

Say what you will.....Shimano had the playboy playmates and dumped them to get with a bunch or Rosanne Barr.
It's all a matter of perspective I suppose. I never warmed to the Aggrest because I thought I was buying a souped up Exceler.

I would have been more open to Daiwa offering an aluminum based Steez for less money and feel like I'm getting a "de-tuned" Steez for less money. In much the same way Daiwa had the Fuego (before it was discontinued) when the TD-Z was their flagship reel.

Shimano having the Core 50MG and then offering the Scorpion XT1000. Perhaps we'll find that the new Chronarch 50 is a rebadged Scorpion XT1000.

Again, just one person's perspective :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

gorilla style
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gorilla style » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:09 am

Only "Daiwatards" would be offended by that term :lol: FYI I have Shimanos and Abus and an Okuma thrown in. I can appreciate good offerings from all manufacturers, not just silently waiting to passively aggressively bash other companys like alot of guys on this forum. Daiwa fans seem to come with more facts and sense? Thats funny considering I remember reading something before the forum crash that because a company might use the color red in their reels that they are copying Daiwa? Because we all know that Daiwa invented the color red therefore anything with the color red (like Ferraris, apples, and the Chicago Bulls..) is copying Daiwa :lol: The point is people need to relax and just enjoy new products that come out, and calling something a "Fail" before youve even fished it is kind of stupid. Shimano didnt get to where they are by being stupid.

PainInTheBass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PainInTheBass » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:20 am

gorilla style wrote:Only "Daiwatards" would be offended by that term :lol: FYI I have Shimanos and Abus and an Okuma thrown in. I can appreciate good offerings from all manufacturers, not just silently waiting to passively aggressively bash other companys like alot of guys on this forum. Daiwa fans seem to come with more facts and sense? Thats funny considering I remember reading something before the forum crash that because a company might use the color red in their reels that they are copying Daiwa? Because we all know that Daiwa invented the color red therefore anything with the color red (like Ferraris, apples, and the Chicago Bulls..) is copying Daiwa :lol: The point is people need to relax and just enjoy new products that come out, and calling something a "Fail" before youve even fished it is kind of stupid. Shimano didnt get to where they are by being stupid.
Wow... :shock:

You have all of 13 posts (at least since the great crash) and in at least 2 of them, you bash a large group of forum members... who is the one silently waiting to passively aggressivle bash others?

And do you realize at all that a lot of Shimano fans (not all) have expressed disappointment with the new offerings? It sure sounds like someone has a red highlighted chip on their shoulder, and it isn't the 'Daiwatards'...

Editted for clarity and sausage fingers
My fishing antics @ paininthebass.blogspot.com

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:22 am

Very impressed with the new gear coming out from the manufacturers. Quantum has really stepped it up and the spinning reels and rods look really nice. I have some minor interest in the Ballistix from Daiwa. I think the best looking reel and the one I have most interest in is the new Abu MGX. Very good stuff all around.