whats up with all these plastic reels?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

whats up with all these plastic reels?

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:10 am

I dont know about you but I am not a fan of these plastic reels...or reels with giant holes shot thru the frame.....

I am a huge fan of the previous model chronarch (d5, d7), IMO one of the best reels ever.... but the new one looks like a p.o.s. and plasticy...I had a curado 50e and got rid of it because it was too cheap feeling...

I havent been a huge fan of quantum ever really, but the smoke is somewhat intriguing to me at least...but the new exo reel also looks like a p.o.s....

if all of these manufacturers keep cheapening their products and selling them at that high of price (yes your paying for the name on the side) I dont know what I am going to do...

The only exception to cheapening Ive seen so far is from Daiwa...yes they are ridiculously expensive, but IMO they have a decent case for that price increase...IMO their new technology (t-wing) warrants the price. Shimano and Quantum are just trying to stay in the game it seems like...

I am really pissed off that shimano changed the chronarch to basically be the plastic curado painted white.

IMO I like the metal feel of my baitcasting reels...this plastic stuff has to go...

Sorry I just had to vent :big grin: all better now... :lol:
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: whats up with all these plastic reels?

Post by Johnny A » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:22 am

Obviously you've never seen "The Graduate"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSxihhBzCjk

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:26 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:Sorry I just had to vent :big grin: all better now... :lol:
Patience young Padawan. Strong the Force is with you. The Darkside you will come. Pixy-R, T3, T3-Ballistic, Steez, you will have. :evil22: :evil22:
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:32 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:I dont know about you but I am not a fan of these plastic reels...or reels with giant holes shot thru the frame.....

I am a huge fan of the previous model chronarch (d5, d7), IMO one of the best reels ever.... but the new one looks like a p.o.s. and plasticy...I had a curado 50e and got rid of it because it was too cheap feeling...

I havent been a huge fan of quantum ever really, but the smoke is somewhat intriguing to me at least...but the new exo reel also looks like a p.o.s....

if all of these manufacturers keep cheapening their products and selling them at that high of price (yes your paying for the name on the side) I dont know what I am going to do...

The only exception to cheapening Ive seen so far is from Daiwa...yes they are ridiculously expensive, but IMO they have a decent case for that price increase...IMO their new technology (t-wing) warrants the price. Shimano and Quantum are just trying to stay in the game it seems like...

I am really pissed off that shimano changed the chronarch to basically be the plastic curado painted white.

IMO I like the metal feel of my baitcasting reels...this plastic stuff has to go...

Sorry I just had to vent :big grin: all better now... :lol:
I agree 100%

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:56 am

I also agree, and that's why I have been amassing and morphing my bass reels to the "round side." 8-)
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:04 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:I am really @#!*% off that shimano changed the chronarch to basically be the plastic curado painted white.
Basically, they axed the Chronarch from the product line because of some marketing words like "elegant", increased the price of the Curado E by $20 because it is now more "sporty" and introduced a mid-range Caenan with green paint. :silly: :silly:

I must say this, they are leading in the race to the bottom...at least in freshwater baitcasters.

YIKES!

=)))) =)))) =))))

I like the white Stradic tho. =D> =D>

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:50 am

I agree...the are winning the race at the bottom...I think ive lost all faith in shimano...dark..side...here...i....come?

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:10 pm

All I can say to this thread is - TOTALLY ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:37 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote: Patience young Padawan. Strong the Force is with you. The Darkside you will come. Pixy-R, T3, T3-Ballistic, Steez, you will have. :evil22: :evil22:
Isn't the T3 frame really just fancy plastic? Not that it isn't a great reel but I don't know personally because I've never fished with one of them, but I'm just curious... Isn't the Pixy-R just another recent introduction of an "R" named reel with no real R tuned rotor? Again, I haven't fished the US version though... curiousity just gets the better of me sometimes :lol: The Steez however is a fantastic machine and MG framed to boot... 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm totally baffled by Shimano this ICAST as well. I'm so used to Daiwa dropping the ICAST ball, Shimano seems to have lost the ball all together.
MegabassUSA.com

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:20 pm

I used to spend my weekends casting with a 9ft fiberglass rod and a 25 plus oz reel plus 2-4 oz lures and now we're striving to keep everything under 10 oz total combo. Personally, I prefer a full metal reel that won't bind under severe strain even if it weights a whopping unbelievable 9 oz or dare I say it 10. I have a Core and I've fished it on a light Cumara 7.2 ft rod and see the allure but are we asking for more then we need? Are we going to pop a rotator cup from heaving 12 plus ounces? Don't get me wrong, light is fun but I think packages under 14 ounces are pretty light as it is. Perhaps we should eat our Wheaties before leaving the dock.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:51 pm

GARRIGA wrote:Perhaps we should eat our Wheaties before leaving the dock.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:40 am

Anyone wanting a metal feel should be fishing with Conquests.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:48 am

mhood wrote:Anyone wanting a metal feel should be fishing with Conquests.

Amen =D>
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><