Z200

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Z200

Post by GARRIGA » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:27 am

Cal wrote:
GARRIGA wrote: To be fair, most of this can be done with a Curado 300E
... keep in mind the Curado 300E has more line capacity than the Z200. The Z200 is still "only" a 200 sized reel.
Based on manufacturers stated specs, the Z has 100 yards of 10 lb mono and the 300E has 120 of the same. I can't imagine a scenario where those extra 20 yards would make a difference with such low capacities to begin with. Considering the stopping power both have, 65 lb braid should stop most fish these reels are intended for then line capacity. I subscribe to the theory that drags stop fish and not line capacity.

Based on what I've read about both reels that include the Pluton, the internals of the Z should be stronger then the 300E. My brief experience with the 300E suggest that Z is much smoother and refined. Is it worth the extra $400? To ms it is. I actually bought the 300E, again, because so many claimed it was just as good. I ultimately decided to take it back and save up for another Z. I won't make that mistake, 3 times. lol

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:37 am

Shouldn't that be like 200 yards or more of 10lb line? It holds 185 of 12.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:53 am

5bites wrote:Shouldn't that be like 200 yards or more of 10lb line? It holds 185 of 12.
Why do you think 185/12 wouldn't at least be 200/10? If you look at bulk spools of Ande, where the same pound spool gets 2,400 yards of 20, it get's 5,400 yards of ten. One should expect more then 200 yards of 10 on the Z and the 300E.

Would be nice if every manufacturer stuck to one variable when labeling the size of their reels. For example, The 200E holds 155/10 and the 50 holds 105. Doesn't follow the same logic. Seeing how the 300E holds 120/20 and 240/12 then what exactly does it hold of 10? Why is the 12 so much more dispraportional to the 20 on the 300 versus the Z? The 200DC holds 115/12 so I'm pretty sure it's not going to hold 200 of 10. The Type R holds 150/12 so I'm pretty sure it's more then 100/10 and yet it's supposed to be a 100 reel. Calling it a 150 would be closer to the truth. Reminds me of mono that breaks at a higher rating then stated because it's actually thicker and should be labeled as such but prefer to break higher to give the illusion that it's stronger. I stopped comparing specs as a decision for buying, I now just fish what makes me happy, :)

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:01 am

I guess I have to answer you with a question. Why do you think 185 of 12 equals 100 of 10 when the specs on the reel or like nowhere even close to that?

You must be fishing with some cheap line if it's diameter is so big only 100 yards of 10 lb would go on a reel like this.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:31 am

GARRIGA wrote:
Cal wrote:
... keep in mind the Curado 300E has more line capacity than the Z200. The Z200 is still "only" a 200 sized reel.
Based on manufacturers stated specs, the Z has 100 yards of 10 lb mono and the 300E has 120 of the same. I can't imagine a scenario where those extra 20 yards would make a difference with such low capacities to begin with. Considering the stopping power both have, 65 lb braid should stop most fish these reels are intended for then line capacity. I subscribe to the theory that drags stop fish and not line capacity.

Based on what I've read about both reels that include the Pluton, the internals of the Z should be stronger then the 300E. My brief experience with the 300E suggest that Z is much smoother and refined. Is it worth the extra $400? To ms it is. I actually bought the 300E, again, because so many claimed it was just as good. I ultimately decided to take it back and save up for another Z. I won't make that mistake, 3 times. lol

Perhaps they're closer than I thought. I do remember not being able to get as much line as I had hoped onto the Z2020 though. If I could find my Curado 300, I'd shoot a photo of the spools next to each other for everyone to see, but somehow it's AWOL :lol:

Regarding their relative performance - probably not exactly fair to compare a Curado level reel to where Daiwa is placing the Z200. I would expect the Z200 to be a bit more robust... it better be for the price difference.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:50 am

Cal wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:
Cal wrote:

Perhaps they're closer than I thought. I do remember not being able to get as much line as I had hoped onto the Z2020 though. If I could find my Curado 300, I'd shoot a photo of the spools next to each other for everyone to see, but somehow it's AWOL :lol:

Regarding their relative performance - probably not exactly fair to compare a Curado level reel to where Daiwa is placing the Z200. I would expect the Z200 to be a bit more robust... it better be for the price difference.

I transferred the 65 lb 832 braid from the 301E I used to own to the Pluton which has the same spool as the Z and was able to transfer 100% of the line. Granted, I probably didn't pack the braid on the 301E as tightly as I did on the Pluton but it was close enough to feel there's not that big of a difference between the two.

To be clear, I'm not implying the Z should be compared to the 300 but others have pointed out to me that I would have been better off saving the $400 or so $$. I tried to see it their way but just didn't.

BTW, based on the review of the Pluton, it appears you really liked it. How does it copmpare to the Z? I know that if the Z came in a 5.1, I'd leave the Pluton for strictly Saltwater. To me, the Z is so much more comfortable then the Pluton and specially when working a wooden Punker JR.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:03 am

GARRIGA wrote:I transferred the 65 lb 832 braid from the 301E I used to own to the Pluton which has the same spool as the Z and was able to transfer 100% of the line. Granted, I probably didn't pack the braid on the 301E as tightly as I did on the Pluton but it was close enough to feel there's not that big of a difference between the two.
Thank you, that's a good test. Makes me feel better about the Z2020/200 platform, though I still hoped for more line capacity. Filling that Z2020 for the Amazon, I know I was pretty surprised it didn't hold as much line as I had hoped it would.
GARRIGA wrote:To be clear, I'm not implying the Z should be compared to the 300 but others have pointed out to me that I would have been better off saving the $400 or so $$. I tried to see it their way but just didn't.
oh ok
GARRIGA wrote:BTW, based on the review of the Pluton, it appears you really liked it. How does it copmpare to the Z? I know that if the Z came in a 5.1, I'd leave the Pluton for strictly Saltwater. To me, the Z is so much more comfortable then the Pluton and specially when working a wooden Punker JR.
I'm too far removed from when I tried out the Z2020 in the Amazon. I didn't use it all that much. I bought it for my brother to try out and I know he really liked it. But he never used the Pluton either. I just threw it for a few casts - it's a righty. The left hand version was not out until this past Spring.

With the Z200HL in the house, I'll have a lot more time and patience to use that reel and can fish the Z2020 in comparison. It's in the pile of stuff for this coming Fall's tests - the pile in which I know what's inside ;)

Still wondering whatever happened to that darn Curado 301 :-k

:lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:08 am

5bites wrote:I guess I have to answer you with a question. Why do you think 185 of 12 equals 100 of 10 when the specs on the reel or like nowhere even close to that?

You must be fishing with some cheap line if it's diameter is so big only 100 yards of 10 lb would go on a reel like this.
lol My bad, I misread your question. I get dislexic like that sometimes. :)

My best guess using 1lb bulk spools of Ande (what I used to approximate the capacity of all my reels) and comparing line capacity of 10,800/10 and 5,200/20 applied to 120 of 20lb on the Z one should approximately get 249 yards of 10. (120/5,200x10,800). I guess they should label it a 250. I :-k

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:20 am

Cal wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:Still wondering whatever happened to that darn Curado 301 :-k

:lol:
Don't know about yours but my first one went back to TW, although to be fair, I only made one cast with it in the back yard and just felt I should have ponied up and gotten the round Pluton instead. I blame your review for this. lol The second one got some heavy afternoon use and went right back to BPS. Having both the Z and Pluton on hand and trying all three on the same rods and same lures, it became apparent, I needed to pony up again and get another Z if I wanted something 6.2 to 6.4 mid range.

To all those Curado fans, don't hate on me, I'm not ragging on the reel and think it's just fine and very capable but just prefer a Z. :)

2003ranger
Angler
Angler

Post by 2003ranger » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Once again, I'm no expert but with AMPLE Steez and TDZ's of every configuration On hand and only 2 lonely Jdm z2020's, I will dig thru a pile of rods and reels to get to the 2020's. They throw big stuff, medium stuff and light stuff...they are so tightly constructed they have a noticeable break in period then they get even better... I wouldn't pay 650sumthin for a usdm anything. Call it the " same reel" all you want. High end reels for my dollars come from japan. For those who actually own a 2020 and have spent time at the lake with them, you know what you have and if you speculating and don't own one, please go treat yourself to an amazing machine, sure it's expensive, what good thing isn't? And finally as far as the weight thing goes.... I promised myself years ago, when I notice that my 5.7 to 10.whatever fishing reel was" heavy", it was time to get off the water and probably stay off the roads when having an urge to drive as well. My time will have passed. I'm just glad we've got so many badd azz machines to argue about! It seems to be an epic time to be into high end tackle, oh yeah, please don't use Curado and z2020 in the same sentence, it makes me queezy.....but again, I'm no expert, just glad to be here, and speak only for myself

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:06 pm

Tokugawa wrote:The JDM is a 12/1 reel and the USDM is a 8/1. I just hope the USDM model has removable knobs with bushings underneath so I can upgrade it. 8-[
Hmm, didn't notice that.
The Z off Digitaka suddenly doesn't look that bad...

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:17 am

y2k88 wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:The JDM is a 12/1 reel and the USDM is a 8/1. I just hope the USDM model has removable knobs with bushings underneath so I can upgrade it. 8-[
Hmm, didn't notice that.
The Z off Digitaka suddenly doesn't look that bad...
Sometimes I'm slow. The US version without TW discounts is the same or in some cases more expensive then the JDM version, has less bearings and a gold spool on the slow speed version. I think I'll stick to getting my future Zs from overseas. :mrgreen:

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:49 pm

I've spooled my Z2020 with 50lb Finns braid and I fish it hard for big Barramundi and in PNG for Black Bass. I use every ounce of the available drag because there is no locking up on these fish. I do not believe that the Z2020 was designed with the Largemouth Bass angler in mind, and if weight is an issue to you there are plenty of other reels that will do as good a job on the light weight stuff. The Z2020 is smooth, strong, heavy and very very flexible in lure weight, if you don't need that flexibility you probably don't need one. That being said, there are a lot of countries where the strength of the Z2020 is put to test. I have a Pluton and a Black Sheep 250 as well, and rate the Z2020 as strong and more usable than either. The Blue Backer and Black Sheep anti reverse problems seem to have been cured with these reels too. If you are chasing fish cabable of taking 10 to 20 metres of line at maximum drag setting, and you prefer a low profile reel, the Z2020 is one of the only reels you can use straight out of the box.

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:58 am

aussiebasser wrote:I do not believe that the Z2020 was designed with the Largemouth Bass angler in mind, and if weight is an issue to you there are plenty of other reels that will do as good a job on the light weight stuff.
Exactly what I was trying to say with the original post. Doesn't stop me from wanting a few though. :lol:

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:32 am

STEEZMAN2 wrote:
aussiebasser wrote:I do not believe that the Z2020 was designed with the Largemouth Bass angler in mind, and if weight is an issue to you there are plenty of other reels that will do as good a job on the light weight stuff.
Exactly what I was trying to say with the original post. Doesn't stop me from wanting a few though. :lol:
This low profile tank is over kill for most black bass applications but if you're throwing big baits on big sticks with big line then it has it's place. Trophy hunting in the trout stocked reserviors out west or any big bass waters makes sense. The fact it failed to come with 5.1 gears does leave one scratching their head. Perhaps Daiwas' intention wasn't to target the growing swimbait crowd. The Pluton/Ryoga appear to, so again, I'm left with a confused look on my face.