Z200

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Z200

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:12 am

GARRIGA wrote:
STEEZMAN2 wrote:
aussiebasser wrote:I do not believe that the Z2020 was designed with the Largemouth Bass angler in mind, and if weight is an issue to you there are plenty of other reels that will do as good a job on the light weight stuff.
Exactly what I was trying to say with the original post. Doesn't stop me from wanting a few though. :lol:
This low profile tank is over kill for most black bass applications but if you're throwing big baits on big sticks with big line then it has it's place. Trophy hunting in the trout stocked reserviors out west or any big bass waters makes sense. The fact it failed to come with 5.1 gears does leave one scratching their head. Perhaps Daiwas' intention wasn't to target the growing swimbait crowd. The Pluton/Ryoga appear to, so again, I'm left with a confused look on my face.
The Z was/is indeed intended for black bass anglers:

http://all.daiwa21.com/fishing/choshu/b ... index.html

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:26 am

Tokugawa wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:
STEEZMAN2 wrote:
aussiebasser wrote:I do not believe that the Z2020 was designed with the Largemouth Bass angler in mind, and if weight is an issue to you there are plenty of other reels that will do as good a job on the light weight stuff.
Exactly what I was trying to say with the original post. Doesn't stop me from wanting a few though. :lol:
This low profile tank is over kill for most black bass applications but if you're throwing big baits on big sticks with big line then it has it's place. Trophy hunting in the trout stocked reserviors out west or any big bass waters makes sense. The fact it failed to come with 5.1 gears does leave one scratching their head. Perhaps Daiwas' intention wasn't to target the growing swimbait crowd. The Pluton/Ryoga appear to, so again, I'm left with a confused look on my face.

You could be correct, however which Black Bass. Here's a pic of the Black Bass I chase in Papua New Guinea. This isn't me, but this fish only weighed 30lb, I've seen and hooked them to 50lb.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:34 am

aussiebasser wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:
STEEZMAN2 wrote:

You could be correct, however which Black Bass. Here's a pic of the Black Bass I chase in Papua New Guinea. This isn't me, but this fish only weighed 30lb, I've seen and hooked them to 50lb.

The pic doesn't work. Anyway, if you go to the Daiwa page I posted it has the products for "bass" (the ones in Lake Biwa ;) )...like the T3, PX68, Alphas, Zillion, etc...

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:04 am

I don't think there's any dispute this isn't intended for large mouth bass or can be used for it but it makes more sense to cater this reel to the heavier techs and why I mention failing by not providing a 5.1 to move large resistance lures. Yes, it can handle lighter stuff but I have an R and a Core and feel the Z is over kill in that respect. I wouldn't throw Senkos even if it did it well. Hopefully that makes sense.

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:14 am

The pic doesn't work. Anyway, if you go to the Daiwa page I posted it has the products for "bass" (the ones in Lake Biwa ;) )...like the T3, PX68, Alphas, Zillion, etc...
Sorry, it was a bad link. Here's a pic of the last one I got. Only 12lb, but still pulled hard. The point I was trying to make, are that there are a lot of anglers chasing a lot of species of fish apart from Large Mouth Bass. The fact that Daiwa chose to make the Z2020 more salt water proof than most of it's other baitcasters should tell you that Large Mouth Bass weren't the main target species. Fortunately, in most of the world people are free to buy and use what they like.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:54 pm

aussiebasser wrote:I've spooled my Z2020 with 50lb Finns braid and I fish it hard for big Barramundi and in PNG for Black Bass. I use every ounce of the available drag because there is no locking up on these fish. I do not believe that the Z2020 was designed with the Largemouth Bass angler in mind, and if weight is an issue to you there are plenty of other reels that will do as good a job on the light weight stuff. The Z2020 is smooth, strong, heavy and very very flexible in lure weight, if you don't need that flexibility you probably don't need one. That being said, there are a lot of countries where the strength of the Z2020 is put to test. I have a Pluton and a Black Sheep 250 as well, and rate the Z2020 as strong and more usable than either. The Blue Backer and Black Sheep anti reverse problems seem to have been cured with these reels too. If you are chasing fish cabable of taking 10 to 20 metres of line at maximum drag setting, and you prefer a low profile reel, the Z2020 is one of the only reels you can use straight out of the box.
In the Special In-Fisherman "World's Ten Toughest FW Fish" edition from several years ago...the PNG Black Bass was rated among the top spots as the strongest and toughest (pound for pound) FW fish in the World!!! VERY IMPRESSIVE INDEED...considering this list had (IIRC) the Peacock Bass, Golden Durado, Wels Catfish, Piraiba, Baluga, White Sturgeon, Chinook, Taimen and others.

Think a fish that can grow several times the size of a smallmouth...on steroids and with a very bad attitude! 8-) :big grin: :mrgreen:
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:05 pm

None of these guys are in the salt...Daiwa's promo video shows guys fishing for Micropterus salmoides.

It's a big bass reel that also happens to do very well as a cross over into salt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=474kFVrJve4