Baitcasting reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
island_bassin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Baitcasting reels

Post by island_bassin » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:40 pm

Hallo Guys,

Looking to buy a baitcasting reel with max price of $200. What do yuo think is the best option. At the momment i'm using the Revo sx and i'm quite happy but noticed that with light baits the castability is reduced.

Thanks in advance

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Baitcasting reels

Post by USA-RET » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:35 am

I'd grab a Curado 50 on clearance. You should see a better performance with lighter baits. right out of the box.

If you still want a bit more performance upgrade with some ABEC 7's or 9's (still under your $200 limit) and the reel should be perfect for you.

If you've not held the 50 sized Curado, I think you'll be impressed with how nicely it feels in your hand.

Alternately you could try and pick up a used Chronarch 50MG, a truly awesome reel or a Daiwa Sol which, like the Curado, is very nice out of the box but can be turned into something very special with a bearing upgrade.

Just a couple of suggestions. I expect you'll get a few more :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Scorpio
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Scorpio » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:39 am

What he (USA-RET) said. Go to American Legacy and sign up for the newsletter. Order the Curado 50 and you'll be out of there for less than a C note.

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:21 am

I agree with USA-RET.
Not a Shimano fan myself, but the deals on Curados now are too good to pass up..
I've got a Sol w/ Abec7's that'll cast just about anything on the right rod. Will likely be over your price limit unless you can find a nice used one. Can't go wrong either way, imo. Good luck. :D

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:17 am

Last I saw, the 50E at AL was sold out, so unless you're a lefty, that deal is done. Edit: Deal is done, done, 51E is OoS too.

Looking to stay under $200, I'd look into a Tournament Pro Speed Spool by Lew's. Very solid reel that performs well, although I have mine rigged up for throwing bigger topwaters, but I think with the dual braking system, it'd cast lighter lures well. It's very similar to the Revo Premier(that I know casts lighter stuff well), which is to say it's a very high quality reel, especially at $180.

island_bassin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by island_bassin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:05 am

Thanks guys , how about the Smoke?

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:26 pm

I'd suggest finding a good deal on ebay and the like on a current generation Revo Premier. I also have an SX and 4 of the Premiers. The SX works well for a narrow range of lures, but the Premier works well at darn near everything. Incredibly versatile reel, super smooth and very light. Comparing stock reels, the Premier is just hard to beat. And it's a great value at the online prices you can find.

island_bassin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by island_bassin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:53 pm

jeb wrote:I'd suggest finding a good deal on ebay and the like on a current generation Revo Premier. I also have an SX and 4 of the Premiers. The SX works well for a narrow range of lures, but the Premier works well at darn near everything. Incredibly versatile reel, super smooth and very light. Comparing stock reels, the Premier is just hard to beat. And it's a great value at the online prices you can find.
I know jeb but is way over my budget :(

knht
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by knht » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:58 pm

USA-RET wrote:I'd grab a Curado 50 on clearance. You should see a better performance with lighter baits. right out of the box.

If you still want a bit more performance upgrade with some ABEC 7's or 9's (still under your $200 limit) and the reel should be perfect for you.

If you've not held the 50 sized Curado, I think you'll be impressed with how nicely it feels in your hand.

Alternately you could try and pick up a used Chronarch 50MG, a truly awesome reel or a Daiwa Sol which, like the Curado, is very nice out of the box but can be turned into something very special with a bearing upgrade.

Just a couple of suggestions. I expect you'll get a few more :D
just a word of caution - advice on upgrading to ABEC 7 or 9 should be threaded with care. When I first picked up baitcast, i grabbed a 50e and went straight to upgrade the spool bearings, ended up major backlashes one after another. Gave up and sold the reel off, thought I would better stick with spinning.

Have another try later on a friend's daiwa stock reel with no performance upgrade and eventually re-gain my confidence in picking up BC. :whistle:

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:16 pm

island_bassin wrote:
jeb wrote:I'd suggest finding a good deal on ebay and the like on a current generation Revo Premier. I also have an SX and 4 of the Premiers. The SX works well for a narrow range of lures, but the Premier works well at darn near everything. Incredibly versatile reel, super smooth and very light. Comparing stock reels, the Premier is just hard to beat. And it's a great value at the online prices you can find.
I know jeb but is way over my budget :(
I have not checked ebay prices for a while, but I got 2 of my Premier's delivered to my door from very reputable sellers there for under $200, both NIB. Might have to be a little patient to find one at that price.

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:22 am

Even if you can't get the PRemier under $200 get a STX. I got two STX reels for $150-$160 each on the bay. Awesome reel for the price. Much prefer them to my Curado's.
Let's go fishing!!!

Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Big Al » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:33 pm

My suggestion is this. Go to a Bass Pro Shop and look at the Carbonlite reel. It has excellent reviews and it is similar to the Revo Premier. It has the dual braking system and it casts great. The drag is smooth. I have 3 of them and you can buy them for $100 when they are on sale. They are light at only 6.7 oz. FYI, this reel, the Lew's and the Pflueger Patriarch XT are all products of Pure Fishing (Abu Garcia) and are all similar to the Revos. I just sold a Team Lews and bought a Patriarch XT and I cannot tell the difference in performance between them and/or the Carbonlite reels.