Durability of Type-R Zillion?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Durability of Type-R Zillion?

Post by zalan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:17 am

Hi,
I'm putting together a jerkbait setup for pike. I have the rod on order, but I'm lost on the reel. I was considering a round reel, like the Pluton, but the guy who sells these said the zillion type-r is a better buy for this. His friend used the zillion in Spain for huge catfish, the guy landed fish up to around 100lbs. From this I assume that fighting pike around 10lbs will be no problem for the reel, but is it up to the task of fishing with 1-3 oz jerkbaits in the long run? I had both reel in my hand, I loved both, but the Zillion would be more comfortable to fish and would come out a little cheaper. What do you guys think? Let's assume that the line capacity will not be a problem and I'm in EU, so no Muskies here, only pikes and I will be rarely figthing with pike bigger than 10lbs. Fish size is not a problem, but the jerkbaits will be used up to 3 oz. Is the Zillion enough?
Thanks in advance!

Zalán

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Durability of Type-R Zillion?

Post by JerryC » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:25 am

granted i use mine for bass, i think its a super solid reel as all zillions are
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:57 am

zalan wrote:Hi,
I'm putting together a jerkbait setup for pike. I have the rod on order, but I'm lost on the reel. I was considering a round reel, like the Pluton, but the guy who sells these said the zillion type-r is a better buy for this. His friend used the zillion in Spain for huge catfish, the guy landed fish up to around 100lbs. From this I assume that fighting pike around 10lbs will be no problem for the reel, but is it up to the task of fishing with 1-3 oz jerkbaits in the long run? I had both reel in my hand, I loved both, but the Zillion would be more comfortable to fish and would come out a little cheaper. What do you guys think? Let's assume that the line capacity will not be a problem and I'm in EU, so no Muskies here, only pikes and I will be rarely figthing with pike bigger than 10lbs. Fish size is not a problem, but the jerkbaits will be used up to 3 oz. Is the Zillion enough?
Thanks in advance!

Zalán
You will be just fine with the Type-R.
I have caught 20lb pike with my old Zillion 100SH and the Type-R can do the same.
If you are going for pike, jerk baits work but you work even more. Try some S-swimming lures. They are easy to fish and I have catch most of my fish with a steady retrieve mixed with some stops.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Thanks in advance!

Zalán
I have caught 20lb pike with my old Zillion 100SH and the Type-R can do the same.
If you are going for pike, jerk baits work but you work even more. Try some S-swimming lures. They are easy to fish and I have catch most of my fish with a steady retrieve mixed with some stops.
Thanks for the help so far for both of you! I know that for jerkbaits I need to work a lot, but that is why I'm interested in them. So far I used softbaits for pike, it works but I'm more interested in the jerkbaits. I tried out some small ones which can be used with regular rods, I cought my biggest one on it and I want to use the bigger ones. What is the s-swimming lure? I do not really know.

More opinions are welcome of course ;)

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:46 am

zalan wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Thanks in advance!

Zalán
Thanks for the help so far for both of you! I know that for jerkbaits I need to work a lot, but that is why I'm interested in them. So far I used softbaits for pike, it works but I'm more interested in the jerkbaits. I tried out some small ones which can be used with regular rods, I cought my biggest one on it and I want to use the bigger ones. What is the s-swimming lure? I do not really know.

More opinions are welcome of course ;)

The S-Swimming baits are lip less two joints baits:
Here you can find 3 videos showing the action: http://www.flt.jp/catalog2/zillva140fff.html Click in 1, 2 or HIT

And here is a TT review: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewegesdrive.html

There are many brands and you can find them in all sizes and color plus floating or sinking.
Here are some examples:

Stephan Bohm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stephan Bohm » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:27 pm

I would personally go with a slower reel for high resistance baits and I chose a Calais 200ASV for this reason, but to each his own. A high quality reel will hold up to most anything you throw at it. While on the subject of s-swimmers I feel obligated to recommend the strike king sexy swimmer. It is alot smaller and cheaper than anything Carlos showed but is absolutely deadly in pike country. I've caught Pike to 44" and many others while fishing for walleye (similar to zander) on shallow reefs & weedlines. Fish them as low and slow as possible and be amazed. Best of luck!

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:09 am

Stephan Bohm wrote:I would personally go with a slower reel for high resistance baits and I chose a Calais 200ASV for this reason, but to each his own. A high quality reel will hold up to most anything you throw at it. While on the subject of s-swimmers I feel obligated to recommend the strike king sexy swimmer. It is alot smaller and cheaper than anything Carlos showed but is absolutely deadly in pike country. I've caught Pike to 44" and many others while fishing for walleye (similar to zander) on shallow reefs & weedlines. Fish them as low and slow as possible and be amazed. Best of luck!
I believe you missed the point of the single joint baits.
Look at the videos on my previous post and let me know if the strike king sexy swimmer swims like that.
The two and plus joints baits also work great but in clear water the single joint lets you walk the dog underwater like no other lure and we all know how deadly are the walk the dog baits.
Plus, the side to side action with steady retrieve is something very appealing and when you stop, the bait almost turns back to face the following fish.

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:30 am

Stephan Bohm wrote:I would personally go with a slower reel for high resistance baits and I chose a Calais 200ASV for this reason, but to each his own. A high quality reel will hold up to most anything you throw at it. While on the subject of s-swimmers I feel obligated to recommend the strike king sexy swimmer. It is alot smaller and cheaper than anything Carlos showed but is absolutely deadly in pike country. I've caught Pike to 44" and many others while fishing for walleye (similar to zander) on shallow reefs & weedlines. Fish them as low and slow as possible and be amazed. Best of luck!
Here is a line of Pike Baits from SAVAGEAR that won't break the bank, Pike have lot's of teeth and will destroy a bait in a day. I to like a slower ratio for Pike, the slower ratio will give U the power to pull Pike out of heavy slop. I use a SHIMANO CONQUEST 200/250DC with 65lb braid, love that series of reels. Good Luck with your Pike Fishing.
Attachments
goldenambulance.jpg
goldenambulance.jpg (9.9 KiB) Viewed 4230 times
410190.jpg
410190.jpg (12.28 KiB) Viewed 4230 times
08.jpg
08.jpg (8.52 KiB) Viewed 4230 times
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

Stephan Bohm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stephan Bohm » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:38 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Look at the videos on my previous post and let me know if the strike king sexy swimmer swims like that.
The two and plus joints baits also work great but in clear water the single joint lets you walk the dog underwater like no other lure and we all know how deadly are the walk the dog baits.
Plus, the side to side action with steady retrieve is something very appealing and when you stop, the bait almost turns back to face the following fish.[/quote][/quote]

iPhone wouldn't play the videos and wow did I miss the point. Those things look lethal, evergreen & FLT will both be getting a new coustomer shortly. I've been hung up on the rapala glidin' rap and never thought of trying out something different. Thanks for the tip.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:28 am

Stephan Bohm wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Plus, the side to side action with steady retrieve is something very appealing and when you stop, the bait almost turns back to face the following fish.
[/quote]

iPhone wouldn't play the videos and wow did I miss the point. Those things look lethal, evergreen & FLT will both be getting a new coustomer shortly. I've been hung up on the rapala glidin' rap and never thought of trying out something different. Thanks for the tip.[/quote]

Before you jump on FLT let me tell you 3 things:
One is that are rumors that it belongs to Jackall.
Second, is that FLT paint jobs don't last at all.
And third is the price tag.

The Esdrive, Esflat, and S-Ride are good options and you can find them in ebay at reasonable prices.

The Jointed Claw has something special in the action. It looks very sub-par compared to other baits but it catches fish very well. The price is not sub-par at all :sick:

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:11 am

Thanks everyone for the help!
Reelwise it seems noone is using the Type-R for pike, even though it is a solid reel. I will not buy it, at least for the time being, I don't want to ruin an expensive reel. Today I got from my father his old Abu 5600 Ultracast round reel, I will start with it. It is an older reel, but barely used, I will give it a cleaning and relubing and it will work just fine. The only issue it is right handed and I prefer the lefties, but it will be good to figure out if I like round reels or not. So far I only used low profile reels. From that experience I will decide which direction to go.

Lurewise, thanks for the tips. The FLT is very expensive, but I will look for other S swimming lures, they look great, I hope I will find something more affordable. Regarding Savage Gear, I know the company, I already has some lures from them, I will definitely get some Deviators and some bigger Soft 4plays. They seems good lures.

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:32 pm

zalan wrote:Thanks everyone for the help!
Reelwise it seems noone is using the Type-R for pike, even though it is a solid reel. I will not buy it, at least for the time being, I don't want to ruin an expensive reel. Today I got from my father his old Abu 5600 Ultracast round reel, I will start with it. It is an older reel, but barely used, I will give it a cleaning and relubing and it will work just fine. The only issue it is right handed and I prefer the lefties, but it will be good to figure out if I like round reels or not. So far I only used low profile reels. From that experience I will decide which direction to go.

Lurewise, thanks for the tips. The FLT is very expensive, but I will look for other S swimming lures, they look great, I hope I will find something more affordable. Regarding Savage Gear, I know the company, I already has some lures from them, I will definitely get some Deviators and some bigger Soft 4plays. They seems good lures.
I to like using ABU reels for Pike, the Pro Pro Rockets reels with UT Reel Technology upgrades are some of my favorite reels.
Ck out the SAVAGE GEAR 10" 4 Play is a hot bait for Pike where I fish for them, in the N.W.T. of Canada. Also the Alien Eels, Pike can't help themselves when they see plastic.
I don't like baits that run on the top of the water, Pike have a hard time getting hooked up with top water baits, but it is fun to see a 40" plus Pike do a back flip attacking a top water.
Also ck out spinner baits, great bait for running in the slop.
GOOD LUCK
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz