Chronarch 50mg

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Chronarch 50mg

Post by breezy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:45 am

I've been in the market for a 'finesse' type reel but they seem to be few and far between within my budget. I've noticed several CH50mg's for sale recently but don't know much about the reel.

What is everyone's opinion on these? I believe they're the Chronarch model before the D series, correct? I wasn't a fan at all of any of the Curado E's but suspect this reel feels much different. I'm looking for a borderline finesse reel, something I can toss shakyheads or lighter jigs on...not worried about casting a 1/16oz bait or anything.

So how does this stack up with some more modern reels, especially in drag? The rod will probably be mounted on a 733c, LTB Teaser or maybe even my Med Carbonlite depending on which feels best. Primary uses will be anything I feel my 734/Zillion overpowers: 1/8-1/4oz shakyheads, jigs <3/8oz, etc.

Looking forward to hearing TT's opinion on the reel. I searched but with the lost data it seems a lot of the info is from 5+ years ago.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Chronarch 50mg

Post by breezy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:52 am

With all of the sales going on I was going to pickup a Smoke or Curado200/50E, or the Patriarch XT I've wanted so long...but excluding the 50E none of these really fit the 'finesse' bill. I could pickup a NIB 50E for less than a used CH50mg, but I hated the E7 I used for a short period. Although I know they are quality and dependable reels, they just felt "cheap" in my hands and I doubt the 50E is much different.

Would I be better off waiting for a deal on a Sol, Chronarch D7, etc? My main concern is that the reel is so old and the drag, retrieve, etc will feel subpar compared to what I'm used to. There just doesn't seem to be many alternatives to a finesse BC in the $160-200 range (excluding the 50E).

If anyone has some high quality pics of the 50mg post em! I haven't seen many good pics online.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:08 am

if it helps, there is an excellent review on the 5omg in the archives section at the top of the page.
don't cry because it's over...smile because it happened.

summers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by summers » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:32 pm

I have both and use both the sol and chronarch 51mg, The sol I feel is a little smother then the mg but the mg will toss lighter wights better IMO (1/8 total weight) is as low as i go with the mg. The sol can do 1/8 but the mg will outperform the sol with light weights. The MG is about 1.5 oz less then the sol. For all weights under 1/8 I use my PX68. Another thing to think about with the reel is the rod that you want to use needs to be able to work with the reel for light weights. The 3 power rod might be to stiff for light weights you listed above you need more like a 2 power rod for the weights your talking about. If you like the sol and want to to stay in the listed price range find yourself an alpha ito (JDM) that would be more of comparison to the mg and what i think is a better reel then the sol or the mg. I have my mg on mbr 842 the sol on the bcr803.
tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15843

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:58 pm

I appreciate the feedback. I did read the TT review if that is what you were referring to, but that was in 04 and I feel a lot of things have changed since then.

I had been looking for the right Sol for a while but they're not easy to find, and when one is for sale it gets snatched up quickly. An alphas ito is also a good suggestion, most prices I've seen were closer to $250+ but maybe they were different models (I'm no JDM) expert. I love my Daiwas, but that's also why I'm interested in the CH50mg...I currently don't own a single shimano LP reel.

With everyone clearing out their old Curado stock I could pick up a 50e for $20-$30 less. I haven't handled a 50e yet, but as stated earlier I was not pleased at all with the way the e7 felt. IMO it felt a little hollow or 'plasticy', how does the CH50mh compare? I noticed the TT review said that it felt similar at times which kind of worries me.

Love to hear some more feedback from people who have owned or currently own a Chronarch50mg. Or even some more suggestions for reels in that price range for a finesse reel. A lot of my current reels struggle throwing a 1/8oz shaky head + light trick worm, and I would love to pick up a BC reel for a dedicated setup (currently use a spinning setup).

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:03 pm

--You could get a 50e for $125 + ship at LBF right now (best finesse reel for the money right now). For that price you could get some ABEC 7s put in it, still be well under retail, and have a little pitching machine.

--I have used the 50Mg for a long time. It is actually a Curado 100D with a magnesium frame..It is a fun little reel. THey are hard to find it great shape because it wasn't the most durable finish. I have 2 left that are really nice and tuned up..

--Most Mg reels have a "hollow" feel, even my Steez reels.

--I have noticed that picking up a reel at a store never feels as good as after it is spooled and being fished with..They need a little tension to get the right feel.

--The rod is gonna be a huge factor in this set-up. I believe too many people try to throw these light weight baits on a baitcasting set-up and don't factor in the rod quite enough. You need something that will truly load under these light weights.

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:14 pm

Best finesse reel I have ever fished is a 50 mg (I still have 3 and sold my ITO, Pixy and Pixzilla). Upgrade the bearings and drag and they'll throw anything and handle just about anything. I regularly throw 1/10 oz baits on mine and they easily out cast my spinning rigs. I can't comment on if you'll like the feel, but the function is tops.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:09 am

The Chronarch 50mg is definitely one of the best reels Shimano has ever produced. It's ideal for what you're looking for in my opinion technique wise, though I don't know about the rods as I haven't used them. The 50mg is light, casts great, and is nice and smooth. I have Curado E7 handles, upgraded spool bearings, and a set of carbontex drag washers in all of mine and they're a blast to fish with. I toss everything from smaller jigs and t-rigs to topwaters and jerkbaits - generally on something like a Loomis CR 722 GLX or a Loomis MBR 782 GLX - both are great matches to the 50mg.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:03 am

Thanks for all the info. Wish that I could just hold one in store next to a 50e and compare how they feel in hand. Regardless I think I'm going to try and pick up a used 50mg shortly :lol:

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:11 am

The Chronarch 50Mg is one of those reels that everybody who owns one´just loves, I own the Chronarch 50 Mg and the Scorpion 1000 Mg ( JDM ) and as much as I like my Alphas ( Itö, Type F and R edition ) I still like more my Chronarchs. One advantage the Chronarch has over the Alphaesque series is the compatibility of components with other Shimano reels, just by purchasing a regular Curado 100B/Citica/Curado100DSV spool you can turn give your reel the capacity to spool in more of much heavier than the 12 lbs or less line the reel can hold.

Stratos
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stratos » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:58 am

I have 2 50Mgs and love them both. Bought them used, one from EBay and the other from a member here. I upgraded the spool bearings with ABEC 9s and these little gems can flat out perform. I was going to upgrade the drag too, but so far I have not witnessed any problems with the drag. They are only going to get harder to obtain, so I would pick one up.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:34 pm

Almost unanimous responses so far, thanks everyone. They will only be getting more rare and that alone makes it worthwhile over the 50e IMO.

How is the durability of the finish? I believe these were 'coated' and 'saltwater safe', but what happens if the finish is scratched down to the metal? It will never see the salt so I'm sure it's not a big deal, but I always like to buy a well used reel for daily use so I don't feel bad when I scratch it :lol:

Thanks TT =D>

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:04 pm

breezy wrote:Almost unanimous responses so far, thanks everyone. They will only be getting more rare and that alone makes it worthwhile over the 50e IMO.

How is the durability of the finish? I believe these were 'coated' and 'saltwater safe', but what happens if the finish is scratched down to the metal? It will never see the salt so I'm sure it's not a big deal, but I always like to buy a well used reel for daily use so I don't feel bad when I scratch it :lol:

Thanks TT =D>
I would describe the finish as "soft." I believe they have a tendency to rash a little worse than average. The shiny color showing the nicks/rash may make the issue worse than it really is.

bob75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bob75 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:25 am

I've four Chronarch 50 mgs'. An excellent finesse reel. Also have four Curado 50es'. They are a little bit smoother than the 50 mgs' on the retrieve. No difference in casting ability between the two reels. Both have light spools.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:09 am

robertrinaustin wrote:Best finesse reel I have ever fished is a 50 mg (I still have 3 and sold my ITO, Pixy and Pixzilla). Upgrade the bearings and drag and they'll throw anything and handle just about anything. I regularly throw 1/10 oz baits on mine and they easily out cast my spinning rigs. I can't comment on if you'll like the feel, but the function is tops.
Just curious, but what rod(s) do you use with the 50 Mg??