Help Me Smooth out My drag

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Help Me Smooth out My drag

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:19 pm

When I tighten down the drag about half way I notice when I start to pull on the line that it stutters.
Before I buy another drag are there any tips out there that I can do to help in this? Its a TDA advantage reel by daiwa.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Help Me Smooth out My drag

Post by arrowslinger1 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Take it apart and clean it, then re lube the washers, lightly sand out any corrosion on the drag washer plates or main gear. While you have it apart you may as well add a carbontex drag to it, probably only about 10-15 bucks ;)

PainInTheBass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PainInTheBass » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:25 am

You should only relube the washers if they were lubed to begin with. If they are a dry washer system, you should keep them dry.

I agree with polishing the metal washers to make them more smooth and to allow for a shudder free startup.

I also second the recommendation for Carbontext drags (These I would lube lightly with Cal's). They run me about $10 a set.
My fishing antics @ paininthebass.blogspot.com

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:07 am

go with the drag upgrade as its well worth the couple bucks.. :D
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:23 am

I replace all my drags with CARBONTEX DRAGS from SMOOTH DRAGS, I also like to put a light coat of Cal's grease on them.
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz