When will shallow spools catch on?!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: When will shallow spools catch on?!

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:27 am

zodiak311 wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:Look what I have just found on Daiwa JDM site.
A cork harbor for deep spools. I'm having ideas :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :-k

Source page: http://all.daiwa21.com/fishing/item/ree ... index.html
Nice! Do you know if it will fit on Zillions?
That is exactly my question. I'm thinking to make a prototype to see how this reduces the line needed to feel the spool and the overall weight in a zillion spool.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:57 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:There's a shallow spool option for the Z2020 and yet I can't seem to find an application that would be good for. The reel to me seems more suited for swimbait duties then anything finese or requiring of a fast start up option. Carrying less line for most swimbait applications doesn't seem to make sense either. The only thing I can thinkmof that suits shallow spools regardless of the BC is for light lures and pitching. Am wrong in that thought process?
Any situation where you need a lighter bait and still lots of reeling power are perfect.

Deep cranking with smaller cranks and lighter lines...

Light frogging with PE. You don't need 100 meters of 50Lb line. Maybe only 30 or 50 meters. :-k
For those situations where you need lighter lines and lighter lures, wouldn't it make more sense to use spinning gear?
For how long can a spinning reel last pulling a Lucky Craft CB350? How does it feel compared with a casting reel?

How accurate can you cast a spinning outfit into a tiny hole in the grass? Or pitching light stuff?
Im startng to understand. Since most of South Florida is comprised of shallow weedy lakes with heavy grass mats, most of the techs where a BC would he used for the lighter stuff doesn't apply to me. I have a Core 101 I may consider a shallow spool option which I use with 20 lb braid to toss Ribbits, Senkos and other weightless plastics on. Might just give it a try after I super tune it and upgrade the bearing and put new brass gears in. Although, the cork option does look promising, if available.

smalliebigs
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by smalliebigs » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:15 am

For almost any application using braid I prefer a shallow spool. How shallow depends on the application. For flipping/pitching the heavy stuff 50 yds is more than enough with any kind of line. For most spinning reel applications, around 75-100 yds of braid is probably best, mostly because so much of the fishing here is dependent on quick reactions and very long casts with topwaters when fish chase bait to the top. Not that I'm casting 100 yds, but I like having some extra line. For dropshotting, shakey head, etc. (braid or flouro) 50 yds is enough, but 100 yds doesn't bother me either.

As the lighter braids (<6 lbs) get better, I can see even more emphasis placed on shallow spools.

For mono, I pretty much only use it for applications where I prefer a deep spool (swimbaiting, deep cranking, etc.).

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:48 am

smalliebigs wrote:For almost any application using braid I prefer a shallow spool. How shallow depends on the application. For flipping/pitching the heavy stuff 50 yds is more than enough with any kind of line. For most spinning reel applications, around 75-100 yds of braid is probably best, mostly because so much of the fishing here is dependent on quick reactions and very long casts with topwaters when fish chase bait to the top. Not that I'm casting 100 yds, but I like having some extra line. For dropshotting, shakey head, etc. (braid or flouro) 50 yds is enough, but 100 yds doesn't bother me either.

As the lighter braids (<6 lbs) get better, I can see even more emphasis placed on shallow spools.

For mono, I pretty much only use it for applications where I prefer a deep spool (swimbaiting, deep cranking, etc.).
I must say that shallow spools are probably more important in casting reels as the extra line add to spool weight and therefore to spool inertia making slower start ups and increase the difficult off the braking mechanism to compensate sudden wind changes.

On spinning, the main factor is the unnecessary amount of line that you will never use. With a premium fluorocarbon line, you may spool 110yds of line or half and having it last double of the time. Line damage is most due to solar radiation, abrasion or line breaking. If you fish open water and know how to avoid line breaking issues... you get my point. This is also true in casting reels
As far as casting with spinning reels, the amount of line in the spool doesn't affect much the casting performance unless you have less line than you can cast :doh: .

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:40 pm

In the 1940-50's Pflueger and Shakespeare reels came with cork or plastic arbors to reduce the capacity of the spool. So I guess that maybe shallow spools will always been a niche item. Tournament accuracy casters have used arbors on their spools for over 100 years. They also lathe balance their spools and tune them for perfect balance.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:22 pm

Reel Old Geezer wrote:In the 1940-50's Pflueger and Shakespeare reels came with cork or plastic arbors to reduce the capacity of the spool.
Yep--my Skilkast No. 1953 has a cork arbor.

And as I posted on a previous page of this thread, my 70s to 80s era ABU and DAM reels came with arbors. I'd have go back and see which 80s era BPS catalogs featured the most aftermarket arbors (remember the v-spool arbors?).

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:21 am

(remember the v-spool arbors?).
I have a bunch of them including a rare presentation version in a jewelry case. It is pictured in my book on Shimano Bantam reels. I thought I had a photo of it on line, but I can't find it at this time.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:21 am

civicrr wrote:I could see them be a benefit for pitching & flipping.

Fishing cranks, I can almost spool my Chronarch D if I wanted to so no go there.
+1

Also, I fish frogs with 70# Daiwa Samurai Braid, and I can spool the entire reel and get down to the backing with a slight breeze.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:54 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:
(remember the v-spool arbors?).
I have a bunch of them including a rare presentation version in a jewelry case. It is pictured in my book on Shimano Bantam reels. I thought I had a photo of it on line, but I can't find it at this time.
My v-spool arbor came in a fabulous plastic bag with a folded header card stapled to it. :D