lew tournament pro-vs- lews tournament

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
set_the_hook
Angler
Angler

lew tournament pro-vs- lews tournament

Post by set_the_hook » Tue May 24, 2011 1:45 pm

can someone give me some insight between the 2 in performance and not just the weight difference?

i have posted here before just couldnt re-register since the crash.
it's nice to be back!

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: lew tournament pro-vs- lews tournament

Post by slipperybob » Tue May 24, 2011 7:00 pm

The price, LOL's.

I bought the Tournament Pro TP1SH after playing with the Lews in the store. I kind of like the graphite handle looks and overall the reel felt more smoother and more refined. Probably in part to with the aluminum drive gear that makes it lightweight. Slightly different paint jobs and I feel the Tournament Pro has much better paint job.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

revo680
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by revo680 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:00 am

performance is the same. The tournament has brass gears instead of duraluminum and a aluminum handle instead of a carbon fiber. It could be argued that the reg. tourn. is sturdier because of the brass gears, but they're basically the same reel, different weight.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Wed May 25, 2011 6:15 am

two other differences are: 1) spools: regular tournament is aluminum, tournament pro is duralumin, and 2) tournament pro has one additional ball bearing supporting the worm gear. combined with the carbon fiber handle, IMHO it is well worth the $40 price difference.
Last edited by 21farms on Wed May 25, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassboss » Wed May 25, 2011 9:52 am

The spools are the thing that did it for me! The TP1 has a Duralumin spool which is lighter, so you get a better start up speed which leads to an overall better, longer, smoother cast.