Certate Line Roller Bearings

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Cozumel Tom
Angler
Angler

Certate Line Roller Bearings

Post by Cozumel Tom » Tue May 24, 2011 8:32 am

I have 2 Certate 2500R. Very happy with them, but the line rollers are starting to get noisy. Can I lube with oil, grease or replace with new?

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Certate Line Roller Bearings

Post by BASSLAYER » Tue May 24, 2011 11:13 am

I have read complaints that some of the rollers go bad after some streneous jigging but that's after a season or two of deep sea jigging.

Service it & see if its still noisy, if so BB might have gone bad.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Tue May 24, 2011 12:39 pm

Cozumel Tom wrote:I have 2 Certate 2500R. Very happy with them, but the line rollers are starting to get noisy. Can I lube with oil, grease or replace with new?
Remove and then soak in Acetone for a few hours with plenty of agitation. After drying, spin on a pencil and check that they are quiet. If so, pack them with grease before reassembly. This will stop/slow the water ingress which is causing the problem. I get about 4-5 years out of my roller bearings after packing them with grease, and it makes no difference to the reel smoothness - the bearing simply has to rotate under load.

Cozumel Tom
Angler
Angler

Post by Cozumel Tom » Tue May 24, 2011 4:39 pm

God Bless You Australia! Great instructions.
I have a matched pair and both have variation of same noise, so doubtful it's a bad bearing. They have taken a beating with big Steelhead and Salmon for 2 seasons, so abuse is the culprit. I'll try one with oil and one with grease and report back.