shimano calias?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
STETSON1B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

shimano calias?

Post by STETSON1B » Mon May 16, 2011 4:14 pm

how good is the shimano calias the 390$ one. i was kind of curious how they compare to the reels in the same price range.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: shimano calias?

Post by dragon1 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:32 pm

For what? The 200A, APV, ASV or 100A?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:20 pm

It is heavier, but you probably already new that. It casts great and has a nice smooth retrieve. I haven't ever fished it next to similar priced reels like the Zillion Type R but I imagine the Type R will feel more refined. If I was going to spend that kind of money I would look at some of the JDM reels like the Metanium MG or the Aldebaran MG or even the Scorpion DC. I don't own any of the JDM reels but the Calais is an older model that carries some weight. I think it's more popular with the pike, muskie, giant bass, or salt guys. The problem I see with buying one is what are you gaining in performance. One thing you do gain is a sweet looking reel though... That's a positive right. My point comes from selling them and owning the old Calais 200 for a few weeks. Here is TT review with some good info.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimano ... 00asv.html

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Tue May 17, 2011 5:55 am

I used to own a Calais 100A, ended up selling it to a friend cuz he was driving me nutz after insisting for months he wanted the reel, ended up purchasing a TDZ with the money I got from the sale. Now back to the reel, heavy ? not really, I was used to fish with Curados & Chronarchs when I got it so, not much of a difference there, but the performance and feel .... oh baby what a fine reel, actually it was the finest reel I´ve ever owned, had that same "built like a tank" feel but with panàge ;) , is it worth the price tag ? every penny IMHO. Speaking about my friend, he recently purchased a Calais 200A and a Steez 103, he likes more the Calais than the Steez.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:01 am

Definitley on the heavy side...The 100A goes down to 8.7 oz and the 200 APV is 9.3. One benefit is you can get a higher line capacity out of the 200 that you can a Chronarch or Core. You have to go down to the Curado E to get similar capacity (in a low-profile). They are built like a tank and buttery smooth...I'm back and forth and on the fence...I have been a "Shimano guy" for a long time but when I needed some higher capacity reels for my new NRX 873 CRRs, I bought a pair of Steezs. Pitchin 20lb and casting 17lb., the Steez has the line capacity to do this better than a Chornarch or Core...If the Calais 200a was sub-8oz., I probably would have stuck with Shimano.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Tue May 17, 2011 10:19 am

The only Calais I own is a 200DC. If it was not for the DC part of it, there's no way it would be in my arsenal. Heavy, fairly noisey during the retrieve, chrome finish is cold to the touch in cooler weather. I for sure prefer my 4 current generation Revo Premier's to the Calais, again, if it were not for the DC part. That's some magic stuff, especially on windy days. But without the DC? Not so much. I'd buy another Premier, Core, Steez or even Curado first.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Tue May 17, 2011 12:19 pm

I own a Calais 201A and a Calais 201DC. I upgraded the spool bearings to boca abec7 orange seals, the drag washers to carbontex. They are saltwater safe and I luv them both. Built like tanks with unmatched craftsmanship. Yes they are a little heavy compared to today's lightweight models but you don't get this kind of build and quality with low cost light weight parts. Smooth as ice cream on a hot summer day and they balance extremely well on my G Loomis NRX rods. I will hand these reels to my kids as heirlooms someday because if taken care of I bet they will still work like new 15 years from now. I highly recommend either model, but if your price limit is about 4 bills then yes I would buy the Calais 201A again. :whistle:
Rods & Reels Excite me!

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Tue May 17, 2011 1:20 pm

performance-wise, imo, the calais series of reels will match anything out there.

which model would depend on your need.
don't cry because it's over...smile because it happened.

john62
Angler
Angler

Post by john62 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:40 pm

Which calais would u recommend for spinnerbaits

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:58 pm

john62 wrote:Which calais would u recommend for spinnerbaits
Normally I would say the 200 APV (5:1) but this reel is only 17" per handle turn..That is very low for a 5:1 reel. I like a slower reel for blades but in the case of the Calais, especially with willow blades, I would probably recommend the 100A at 5.8:1 & 24IPT or 200 A at 6.2:1 & 26 IPT. I dont believe that is too much pick up if you have a taste for slower reels as I do. I would most likely base my choice of these 2 on line capacity needs.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed May 18, 2011 12:31 am

brokeneye wrote:performance-wise, imo, the calais series of reels will match anything out there.
Match in what way, though? Yeah, they get the job done and all. But what are you really buying at that price point that makes them worth it? For about the same money, you can get a much lighter Core that will perform just as well, for example.

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pmedicbm » Wed May 18, 2011 3:45 am

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more refined reel than the Calais, or any of the Calcuttas.. I have 6 Zillions and a Type-R, and I fished the Calais for about 5-6 years back in the early 2000's.. The Calais just has that swiss watch type feel to it, and is just as smooth as butter. You will not feel the gears meshing in the Calais, but the Type-R just has a whole different feel to it, to me.. It's a really nice reel, but a side by side comparison and smoothness, refinement wise, I'd have to say that the Calais is just a much smoother reel.. IMHO, In the $400 price range they are at the top of their class. The only down side to them, is the weight, and this is the primary reason I now use almost all Daiwa. Once the Steez hit the market, I was all in..... I also think that the JDM reels would be a good choice if you can find one that's already Stateside where you don't have to absorb all of the exchange rate fees etc.. the JDM products do seem to be a little bit smoother with a little more attention to detailing etc.. I know you asked specifically abou the Calais, but another recommendation would be the Calcutta DC. I bought one last year, and I honestly think it is one on the longest casting, most beautiful, smoothest reels that I've ever owned.. They pop up on the For Sale/trade board for time to time in the <$400 range used, as a matter of fact I think there's one on there now for like $340..? The Calais is an excellent reel though, if you can deal with and don't have a problem with the weight of it.. Good luck in your search.... :D
Pmedicbm

nsfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nsfisher » Wed May 18, 2011 3:52 am

jeb wrote:
brokeneye wrote:performance-wise, imo, the calais series of reels will match anything out there.
Match in what way, though? Yeah, they get the job done and all. But what are you really buying at that price point that makes them worth it? For about the same money, you can get a much lighter Core that will perform just as well, for example.
I agree there are alot of reels out there that cost less and still perform just as well

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Wed May 18, 2011 1:05 pm

jeb wrote:

worth is a subjective value.

performance-wise, with the calais 100a, i can cast a 1/8 oz. rapala floater farther and more accurate than i ever have with spinning...or i can burn a 3/4 oz. blade without feeling any gearmesh whatsoever...granted, there are reels out there that can do either and there are reels out there that can do either better...but, there are few reels out there that can do both equally as well.

and the core 50, as good as it is, ain't one of them.

ymmv.
don't cry because it's over...smile because it happened.

LamiglasC
Angler
Angler

Post by LamiglasC » Wed May 18, 2011 2:06 pm

i would go for the trade and ouch about the frozen account 8-[