$250 or under for tossin light stuff..spinner or baitcaster?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
champ
Angler
Angler

$250 or under for tossin light stuff..spinner or baitcaster?

Post by champ » Wed May 11, 2011 4:45 pm

hello all, can a baitcasting reel be had that can do a good job casting light stuff at that price point. or am i better off with a spinning reel? i know light stuff could mean alot of things, basically small weightless plastics that my curado 201e7, or zillion wont cast well. i am considering the daiwa sol, but i have to make up my mind by saturday, any info will be much appreciated. thanks in advance

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: $250 or under for tossin light stuff..spinner or baitcas

Post by dragon1 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:31 pm

Both will do the job very well...IMO, you can get a lot more spinning reel that will handle the lighter stuff just fine vs what the same $250 buys in a BC reel. Also of consideration is whether you have a rod in either spinning or BC already in hand for the tech?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

champ
Angler
Angler

Post by champ » Wed May 11, 2011 5:48 pm

thats a good point about the rod, i dont have a good spinning rod in my arsenal yet, i wanted to pair up the sol with a quantum smoke rod, which i have, but that new pfluger spinning reel looks good

VRG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by VRG » Thu May 12, 2011 12:03 am

In that price range you'll be happier with a spinning outfit. Go for the Pflueger.

While I've never cast a one, my guess is you would knock yourself out casting "weightless" plastics with the Quantum rod which is not rated below 1/4 th oz. Might be a lot of effort to load with what you want to throw.

Edit to say: I partially confused this thread with another looking for a baitcaster under $150. So sure you can get a used Chronarch--probably well under 250. I still think your real barrier is the rod, however.
Last edited by VRG on Thu May 12, 2011 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu May 12, 2011 2:14 am

The sol is a good choice if you want to cast 1/8 oz, you can go a little lighter with the right rod if you upgrade the bearings. If your planning on casting weightless plastics, the Shimano Sustain is an ausome spinning reel at that price range. If you want to go lighter with a baitcaster you will have a big jump in price, pixy, px 68 etc.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:28 am

remember you can always upgrade the spool bearings, that def. helps with casting lighter lures...at least for me...$30 and your golden
stress-what happens between fishing trips

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:27 am

I think you can find a good baitcaster to toss light stuff with for $250 and under. A used 50MG7 or Alphas Ito would be a good choice. You can also find pixy's under that price point. A Sol with upgraded bearings would be a great cheaper option though.

btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by btune » Thu May 12, 2011 5:17 am

You did not say what pound test line you want to use? My suggestion of a good spinning reel for 10 pound and under (you can go up to 20 or even 30 with braid) would be something in a 2500 size. The Pfleuger would be a good chioce on paper at least (I do not have one - yet!). While some baitcasters will cast fairly light stuff that is not their strength in my opinion. If you want to try a casting reel, the CH 50 would be a lower cost option, used of course.

nsfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nsfisher » Thu May 12, 2011 5:50 am

how light of stuff is what i was wondering? If you are talking less than 1/8 oz like flies or something than deffeinately go with a spinning but if it is 1/8 oz + or close to it than you will be able to get a great baitcasting reel that will be able to throw light stuff a mile.

BRONZEBACK29
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK29 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:54 am

Shimano curado 50/51E and then get some boca orange seals.

OR

add more cash and get a chronarch D7

My baitcasters cast the light stuff just as good as any spinning reel.....
LIVE TO FISH-FISH TO LIVE

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu May 12, 2011 12:04 pm

blakjack23 wrote:I think you can find a good baitcaster to toss light stuff with for $250 and under. A used 50MG7 or Alphas Ito would be a good choice. You can also find pixy's under that price point. A Sol with upgraded bearings would be a great cheaper option though.
Agreed. A used Alphas Type F or Alphas 103 would work too. Lots of options.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu May 12, 2011 1:56 pm

How much performance gain is there in an alphas vs sol? My sol with abec 9s in it seems to to a pretty good job.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu May 12, 2011 2:37 pm

spencerinstl wrote:How much performance gain is there in an alphas vs sol? My sol with abec 9s in it seems to to a pretty good job.
Not a lot. The spools are the same (except the Alphas ito). The Alphas are a bit lighter with extra bearings in the handles. The Alphas are a bit lighter. Casting is about the same.

Of curse, the purple flip/flop on the Alphas 103 is sweeeet. :big grin:

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu May 12, 2011 4:28 pm

Purple flip/flop?

champ
Angler
Angler

Post by champ » Thu May 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Thanks for the feed back guys, as trial and error is expensive involving reels, and im thankful for the advice. i want to use cast 1/8 th or less if possible, and i want to use 6 pound mono . And i believe VRG made the comment about the quantum smoke rod i wanted to use, thanks for the heads up on it not rated for light stuff , as i am learning the importance of the right line and lure weight for the right rod. bearing upgrade is a must from what i understand, not to get to off topic but ceramics or stainless? I would like the alphas , but they are always sold before i can reply, or pop up when im broke. Well thanks in advance for your advice, i have learned alot from you guys here on tackle tour.