$250 or under for tossin light stuff..spinner or baitcaster?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: $250 or under for tossin light stuff..spinner or baitcas

Post by dragon1 » Thu May 12, 2011 5:40 pm

BRONZEBACK29 wrote:My baitcasters cast the light stuff just as good as any spinning reel.....
Hahaha...I read and hear this a lot...until a slight wind hits your balsa lure that is.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Fri May 13, 2011 2:50 am

I have a Shimano CI4 2500 loaded with 20lb braid. I've tried using BC for light stuff but the spinning reel just makes it so much easier. Although, now that the 3000 is available, I'd go with that since it's the same frame with a bigger spool and handle knob. The drag on these reels are amazing and would allow one to fish heavier braid, if needed. Aesthetically, it has an enthusiast look to it.

I use this reel for weightless Senkos, Horney/Ribbit frogs, small paddle tails and, if ever inclined, drop shot.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat May 14, 2011 3:07 am

spencerinstl wrote:Purple flip/flop?
The paint. It goes from brown to blue to purple depending on the lighting. Quite nice. Probably the second best looking factory paint after the TDZ ito...IMO.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sat May 14, 2011 3:24 am

Tokugawa wrote:
The paint. It goes from brown to blue to purple depending on the lighting. Quite nice. Probably the second best looking factory paint after the TDZ ito...IMO.
So it changes colors like a dobyns dx rod depending on what angle you look at it.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun May 15, 2011 9:20 am

spencerinstl wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:
So it changes colors like a dobyns dx rod depending on what angle you look at it.
Yup!

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdiawaalphas.html

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:24 pm

I have the Sol on a Light and Tough rod that can cast 1/8oz lures with ease on 8lb test.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Mon May 16, 2011 9:50 pm

Personally I would rather invest the money in a spinning reel AND appropriately rated rod. Sure you could find a Sol or Alphas in that price range, but if you're trying to throw a 1/16oz crappie jig on a MH rod the reel isn't going to be the limiting factor. If you already have a casting rod for light lures, plan to purchase one, and/or budget is no concern I would be more inclined to look for a casting setup.

When I am fishing 1/8oz lures I'm also generally using a light line and the 'winching power' of a BC reel isn't all that important to me. Can you cast a 1/8oz lure on a BC reel? Definitely, but IMO you could cast the lure just as far (if not farther) using almost any spinning setup. You could get a spinning reel to accomplish the same task with a much smaller budget, which is a big factor for me at the moment.

For people that do throw light (~1/8oz) lures on casting reels, I'm curious as to why you use a BC over a spinning reel? I know there are people that despise spinning reels and avoid them at all cost, but other than that I don't see an advantage to use a casting reel over spinning with light line/lure techniques. Maybe someone can enlighten me :D

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Mon May 16, 2011 11:31 pm

spinning is the way to go.

I throw very tiny lures (1/16th oz size zero Mepps Black fury spinners for example) and with an appropriately rated UL rod and good quality reel (I use a Loomis TSR and Sustain 1000) you can cast tiny baits quite far.

with a baitcasting outfit and the ever present wind, you probably will not get as good of results and perhaps have more frustration.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue May 17, 2011 1:19 am

I usually like to fish spinning gear if I'm going to fish deeper, because i can just flip the bail an let the lure go strait to the bottom. If its really windy, sure spinning gear is easier with the really light stuff. But if i'm trolling along the shore and want more accurate casts i prefer a bait caster even with the light stuff. I can cover more water faster with a baitcaster.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Tue May 17, 2011 5:51 am

breezy wrote:For people that do throw light (~1/8oz) lures on casting reels, I'm curious as to why you use a BC over a spinning reel? I know there are people that despise spinning reels and avoid them at all cost, but other than that I don't see an advantage to use a casting reel over spinning with light line/lure techniques. Maybe someone can enlighten me :D
I don't despise spinning gear. All but one of my spinning setups would be considered 'ultralight'. I got into baitcasting gear last year. I love it! That's why I personally am trying to also throw light stuff on a baitcaster. However, I will be the first to admit it is frustrating. I got so I could throw the 5/16 oz. up okay for a beginner last year. The lighter stuff not only caused me problems with backlashes/overruns, but the lure insisted on going way left on sidearm casts. (I'm right handed.)

I learned during the winter that my spool tension was way too tight. I've adjusted all my reels just snug enough to remove spool side-to-side play. Now I am relearning to cast!!! ](*,)

What I've found is that I can cast as far with less effort now as I could last year when I was trying to throw for the moon on almost every cast. This is helping me with my higher performing reels, an Alphas ito and 103HL Type R. I had to throw too hard last year (because of spool tension). The light spools in these reels were causing me fits. I feel it was/is because of their speed. They are too fast for my limited experience.

My advice to the OP is that spinning gear for what he wants to do is the easier approach. As others have already said, it can also be done a lot cheaper. The rod used also becomes less important, imo. However if you are like me and love using baitcasting gear than go for it. Just be prepared to spend a fair amount of time practicing unless you are already quite good with a baitcaster.

Last year required a major adjustment in my release timing whenever I used light lures. Haven't tried light lures yet this year, but am hoping the spool adjustments will also be a big help with my timing.

I will gladly accept any helpful hints from those of you who can cast below 1/4 oz. without problems. :mrgreen:

EDIT: To anyone else learning to use a baitcaster, I found that setting up my spools as mentioned also was an enormous help with my underhand casts. Only time I used an underhand cast last year was in the backyard. Now I find myself using them a lot because I am getting pretty good distance with them now. The advice to have spool tension heavy enough to barely let the lure drop does help with backlashes, but is a two-edged sword. You have to throw harder for the same results. I think most will agree that nice and easy works better.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue May 17, 2011 1:06 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:
breezy wrote:For people that do throw light (~1/8oz) lures on casting reels, I'm curious as to why you use a BC over a spinning reel? I know there are people that despise spinning reels and avoid them at all cost, but other than that I don't see an advantage to use a casting reel over spinning with light line/lure techniques. Maybe someone can enlighten me :D
I don't despise spinning gear. All but one of my spinning setups would be considered 'ultralight'. I got into baitcasting gear last year. I love it! That's why I personally am trying to also throw light stuff on a baitcaster. However, I will be the first to admit it is frustrating. I got so I could throw the 5/16 oz. up okay for a beginner last year. The lighter stuff not only caused me problems with backlashes/overruns, but the lure insisted on going way left on sidearm casts. (I'm right handed.)

I learned during the winter that my spool tension was way too tight. I've adjusted all my reels just snug enough to remove spool side-to-side play. Now I am relearning to cast!!! ](*,)

What I've found is that I can cast as far with less effort now as I could last year when I was trying to throw for the moon on almost every cast. This is helping me with my higher performing reels, an Alphas ito and 103HL Type R. I had to throw too hard last year (because of spool tension). The light spools in these reels were causing me fits. I feel it was/is because of their speed. They are too fast for my limited experience.

My advice to the OP is that spinning gear for what he wants to do is the easier approach. As others have already said, it can also be done a lot cheaper. The rod used also becomes less important, imo. However if you are like me and love using baitcasting gear than go for it. Just be prepared to spend a fair amount of time practicing unless you are already quite good with a baitcaster.

Last year required a major adjustment in my release timing whenever I used light lures. Haven't tried light lures yet this year, but am hoping the spool adjustments will also be a big help with my timing.

I will gladly accept any helpful hints from those of you who can cast below 1/4 oz. without problems. :mrgreen:

EDIT: To anyone else learning to use a baitcaster, I found that setting up my spools as mentioned also was an enormous help with my underhand casts. Only time I used an underhand cast last year was in the backyard. Now I find myself using them a lot because I am getting pretty good distance with them now. The advice to have spool tension heavy enough to barely let the lure drop does help with backlashes, but is a two-edged sword. You have to throw harder for the same results. I think most will agree that nice and easy works better.
You should be able to cast 1/8 with that alphas. The rod is just as important as the reel for casting the light stuff.
The rod has to be able to load with the bait your casting. Try a light or medium light rod. I have my sol on a gloomis cr722 and can cast 1/8 oz baits with ease. And I have my px68 on a gloomis on a cr721 and can cast down to 1/16 oz. Not that you have to have gloomis but the rod makes a difference.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Tue May 17, 2011 3:04 pm

spencerinstl wrote:You should be able to cast 1/8 with that alphas. The rod is just as important as the reel for casting the light stuff.
The rod has to be able to load with the bait your casting. Try a light or medium light rod. I have my sol on a gloomis cr722 and can cast 1/8 oz baits with ease. And I have my px68 on a gloomis on a cr721 and can cast down to 1/16 oz. Not that you have to have gloomis but the rod makes a difference.
I've got a Falcon Expert 6' 9" Light that is rated for 1/16-3/8 oz. I'll be giving it a try again sometime in the near future. I have a feeling I'll do better this time. :big grin:

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue May 17, 2011 3:33 pm

1. Comfort. For me, palming a BC is much more comfortable than holding a spinning reel with the reel stem going between your fingers.

2. Line twist issues are minimized on the BC setup.

3. For light lines, my drag is obviously set very light. It is easier for me to add a little pressure on the spool with my thumb while handling a net or turning a trolling motor.

4. Pitching is much nicer with a BC reel...and pitching a small shakey head is fun. :big grin:

5. Line capacity and weight. Most casting reels like the Pixy/Sol/Alphas weigh less than a spinning reel and hold more line.

Like others have said, the proper rod is important. I can cast as far with the Pixy/Sol/Alphas as I can with a spinning setup. Casting into the wind is harder...but mostly I find myself casting with the wind where the bait piles up.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue May 17, 2011 3:43 pm

new2BC4bass wrote: I've got a Falcon Expert 6' 9" Light that is rated for 1/16-3/8 oz. I'll be giving it a try again sometime in the near future. I have a feeling I'll do better this time. :big grin:
Cool, sounds like a nice rod. I have a Falcon LowRider Lizard Dragger and really like it. The Expert sounds like a light sensitive rod. Have fun.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:09 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:I've got a Falcon Expert 6' 9" Light that is rated for 1/16-3/8 oz. I'll be giving it a try again sometime in the near future. I have a feeling I'll do better this time. :big grin:

This rod with my first JDM (the Scorpion 1000), and 8lb PLine CX Premium was as good a light BC combo as I have ever owned. It will do a fantastic job with lighter lures.

I also want to clarify that in bass fishing a 1/8oz lure is sometimes heavier than the rating...ie, 1/8 oz head + plastic, 1/8 oz jig + trailer, or 1/8 oz spinnerbait/buzzbait + all components + wet skirt, etc. A true lighter offering like a 1/8oz minnowbait, a #5 Shad Rap, a small in-line spinner, popper or finesse worms and drop shots, are usually better handled by spinning gear when all conditions are considered.

Good luck on your endeavor otherwise.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."