7.1 or 6.4 for General Applications

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ec1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

7.1 or 6.4 for General Applications

Post by ec1 » Sun May 08, 2011 7:34 am

Hi all,
Was wondering what you guys generally like yourselves for a baitcaster that will do multiple techniques? I'm about to get a 3 powered rod that will hopefully be throwing spinnerbaits, poppers, weightless plastics, and light texas rigs. What gear ratio would you guys recommend?

Thanks! and Happy Mothers day!

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 7.1 or 6.4 for General Applications

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:03 am

I consider anything in the 6's an 'all around' or "general purpose" reel....it gives you the option to burn or slow down without too much or too little work on your part (you want the reel to work for you, not you work for the reel)...I used to think the 7's would be more practical for everything, but I found out surprisingly enough they are a pain in the butt to slow down (at least for me)...it comes down to personal preference...however, I believe the 6's are much more practical for 'general applications'.

While 7's and 5's have their place, the 6's are great for everything.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pmedicbm » Mon May 09, 2011 3:08 am

I'd get the 6:3 myself for an APC reel.. :D
Pmedicbm

ec1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ec1 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:55 am

Awesome! Thanks for the tips guys!
I was thinking at one point that the higher gear ratio would just be better in general, good thing I got called off before I went on the spending spree.

Frying Pan
Angler
Angler

Post by Frying Pan » Mon May 09, 2011 7:26 am

Typically a mid 6 is the best all around gear ratio just be careful because what you are really talking about is IPT or inches per turn. A baitcast reel could have a mid 7 gear ratio with the same IPT as a mid 6 gear ratio with a larger spool. I personally prefer a 25-27 IPT for general use. This typically isn’t a problem for people who exclusive fish one manufacture but as you jump around brands it could be a problem.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon May 09, 2011 10:55 am

Frying Pan wrote:Typically a mid 6 is the best all around gear ratio just be careful because what you are really talking about is IPT or inches per turn. A baitcast reel could have a mid 7 gear ratio with the same IPT as a mid 6 gear ratio with a larger spool. I personally prefer a 25-27 IPT for general use. This typically isn’t a problem for people who exclusive fish one manufacture but as you jump around brands it could be a problem.
This advise is spot on! I have a 100 size reel I use for shallow to mid depth cranks and other applications which is a 6.3:1, the IPT is 24" which is close to my 200 size 5.1:1 reel. I also have 2 reels that get a lot of time with a 7.0:1 and they are close to 30 IPT, I like those for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jerkbaits and jigs/soft plastics. Do yourself a favor and check the IPT as well as gear ratio as it will be different depending on manufacturer and reel size.
Barlow's Tackle

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Mon May 09, 2011 12:13 pm

I like a 7:1 ratio as an all around reel when I'm fishing techniques that require picking up slack line like Texas, Carolina, Weightless and Topwater and Jerkbait applications.

I like a 6:1 ratio for an all around reel fishing moving baits like Spinners, Crank, and Buzz.
MegabassUSA.com

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Mon May 09, 2011 5:17 pm

I originally got a Core 101 because of the mid range gearing and later discovered it doesn't do anything great. Too slow for certain applications and too fast for others. I now prefer to have a 7 and 5 gearing to separate my tasks.