Shimano Calais DC

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mrborohachi
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Calais DC

Post by mrborohachi » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:01 am

Can't go wrong with the Calais DC it's top of the line and shimano does not mess around when it comes to their top of the line high tech gear fishing or Bicycles. Read cal's review of the Antares 100a (lefty available in japan only) same at 100a.

I own a 100a and it is the smoothest reel hands down that is what you buy when getting into a Calais Rolls Royce smoothness, i guess that would make the calais DC a turbo Bently \:D/ :lol: :lol: :!:

Denis87
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Denis87 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:25 am

As i know, the retail price of calais DC for $649.99 But some sellers on Ebay sell new calais about 100$ lesser then retail price (from 544$ to 565$ ). Is it possible? May be there is some trick? Is 544$ normal price for Calais DC?

And i can't make a decision what to choose Calais DC or Antares DC (Japanise version of calais) Antares is more expensive, but lighter on 15 grams... Is that 15 grams critical? I am going to use this reel mainly with Avid 66 mf (1/4-5/8 oz.). Is it normal 265 grams reel for 6.6 rod

Please sorry for my english and may be stupid questions :oops: , but i think it is the biggest and best forum i've found. There is not such good forum in Russia.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:45 pm

mrborohachi wrote:I own a 100a and it is the smoothest reel hands down that is what you buy when getting into a Calais Rolls Royce smoothness, i guess that would make the calais DC a turbo Bently
I would not say my Calais DC is all that smooth. Well, maybe it's all the gear noise when cranking bigger baits with it that makes me say that, but it does feel a little tiny bit rough at times, too. At least compared to other of my reels like the Premier's and Core. The Premier is the defintion of smooth and quiet in every way. The DC is built like a tank and I enjoy fishing with it, but it is not the smoothest reel I own.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:44 am

My Calais DC is as smooth as glass...even by Calcutta 100DC and Conquest 50 standards. 8-)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

SC Bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SC Bassin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:22 am

I have both the Calais & Antares DC reels and they are very smooth. I do not notice a weight difference between the 2. :)

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:51 am

I'm not saying its horrible or anything. Like I said, it could be all the gear noise it produces that throws me off a bit on it, too. I was winding BD7 Fat Free Shad with it today and one of my Premiers. Winding them in as fast as I could turn the handles. The Calais sounds like it has rocks in it from all the gear noise. The Premier is as silent as a church mouse. But in reality, both did the job smoothly. One just does it all much more quietly.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:13 am

You might ought to have your Calais DC checked out. ;)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:29 pm

mhood wrote:You might ought to have your Calais DC checked out. ;)
Every one of them I've seen or handled was the same way. Between that and the whine it produces when you cast a lure (I understand why it does that, and like that noise), it is just a loud reel.

I'm not running it down or unhappy with it. But it could use some updating for weight, size and noise, IMO.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:12 am

they should be smooth like the rest of the calais line up,but instead of using a brass drive gear which would make it smooth,they used an aluminum gear in this reel.

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:04 am

The reels are the same weight. The differences comes from the shorter handle on the Jdm.

Denis87
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Denis87 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:17 am

Hi friends, i just want to tell you that i made a choice and bought Antares DC. I have not been to fishing with this reel yet, but i think i will not be disappointed. :)