Shimano alternatives?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano alternatives?

Post by steve1206 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:11 am

I am being dead serious. I have fished Shimano forever, as growing up, Shimano (going back to the early days of the Curado CU200B) was the only reel I didn't break and lasted any time at all...It was prior to reel companies believing/understanding that people would pay for quality, etc, etc.. I really like the aesthetics of some Daiwa reels, and actually bought a pair of Steezs 2 weeks ago (100 & 103 HSA). I would like to hear more, simply because I have a fear of the unknown and don't want to get buyers remorse if I venture out of my comfort zone. I'm looking for legitimate/factual answers, not trying to start a Chevy vs. Ford argument...When I hear a guy say he loves the Steez but would not touch the Zillion, I want to know why (other than weight)...

Basswrangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basswrangler » Tue May 03, 2011 12:23 pm

I may just have to buy one each of several reels to find what I like then sell the ones I didn't care for. I like my reels to be the same so maybe I can get a deal by buying in bulk. Lol
Maybe you can save, used to see an ebay seller who sold lots of 10 revo premiers for $1,250. That's a steal if you wanted to replace the whole fleet. Don't see that deal on ebay now, but it may return.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:35 pm

steve1206 wrote:I am being dead serious. I have fished Shimano forever, as growing up, Shimano (going back to the early days of the Curado CU200B) was the only reel I didn't break and lasted any time at all...It was prior to reel companies believing/understanding that people would pay for quality, etc, etc.. I really like the aesthetics of some Daiwa reels, and actually bought a pair of Steezs 2 weeks ago (100 & 103 HSA). I would like to hear more, simply because I have a fear of the unknown and don't want to get buyers remorse if I venture out of my comfort zone. I'm looking for legitimate/factual answers, not trying to start a Chevy vs. Ford argument...When I hear a guy say he loves the Steez but would not touch the Zillion, I want to know why (other than weight)...
Having only used a Zillion, I cant really put any input in other then what I have read. The Zillion is a great quality built tank of a reel....however,Im not sure if you know this, but I believe the Steezs have Magforce-v while the Zillions have Magforce-z....different spools mean different things...the theory is there and many die hard Diawa fans would probably agree that the Magforce-v allows easier casting for lighter lures and lighter lines. Besides the weight reduction, different Magforce system, and extra BBs I think the palming is a bit different as well....thats just from my observations from crap ive read online in the past....take it with a grain of salt though,I havent had much experience with Daiwa reels and I am also anxious to learn what others have to say without he Chevy Ford argument as well...for what its worth, I think the Zillion is a great reel and with the Steezs being much more expensive I wouldnt expect anything but a better reel from the Steez, especially for finesse applications.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:56 pm

Basswrangler wrote:
I may just have to buy one each of several reels to find what I like then sell the ones I didn't care for. I like my reels to be the same so maybe I can get a deal by buying in bulk. Lol
Maybe you can save, used to see an ebay seller who sold lots of 10 revo premiers for $1,250. That's a steal if you wanted to replace the whole fleet. Don't see that deal on ebay now, but it may return.
Could be wrong but, that was when Abu discontinued the '09 and they were available for $130-$160...Not that it wouldn't be a steal, but I doubt if anyone has that kind of NIB quantity laying around anymore.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Tue May 03, 2011 2:43 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:The Daiwa Zillions will outcast both reels lightweight or heavy.
I beg to differ and I'm sure most will agree here. The Zillion really struggles on the lighter weights if you want to compare it to the Curado E7 and I find it hard to believe that a STX cant do it better than a Curado too. From using all three, the Curado is a better all around reel vs the two where the two might excel at one category over the the Curado. I'd say the Curado is the most balanced performing reel out of the three if that makes any sense. I also own a Scorpion 1001xt( Curado 50E) and feel that it's no better than the regular Curado. The biggest difference is the size and that's pretty much it. I got the Scorpion to throw the lighter stuff but it doesn't seem to do it much better than the 200 series.

Honestly, if I was to start all over again with the knowledge I have now, I'd just get all the variations of the TD-Z and call it a day. That reel is just so hard to beat.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue May 03, 2011 3:35 pm

legendaryyaj wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:The Daiwa Zillions will outcast both reels lightweight or heavy.
I beg to differ and I'm sure most will agree here. The Zillion really struggles on the lighter weights if you want to compare it to the Curado E7 and I find it hard to believe that a STX cant do it better than a Curado too. From using all three, the Curado is a better all around reel vs the two where the two might excel at one category over the the Curado. I'd say the Curado is the most balanced performing reel out of the three if that makes any sense. I also own a Scorpion 1001xt( Curado 50E) and feel that it's no better than the regular Curado. The biggest difference is the size and that's pretty much it. I got the Scorpion to throw the lighter stuff but it doesn't seem to do it much better than the 200 series.

Honestly, if I was to start all over again with the knowledge I have now, I'd just get all the variations of the TD-Z and call it a day. That reel is just so hard to beat.
I own and have used all three reels. By far the Zillions out cast the other two. But the Curado 200E which I own four of, are the most consistent and best pitching/Flipin reel IMO. Each have thier own strengths.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Calico Killer Kevin
Angler
Angler

Post by Calico Killer Kevin » Tue May 03, 2011 3:46 pm

Hard to beat the deals you can find on the Patriarch at the moment. Lots of reel for the price, better than the Curados IMO. Just a bit heavy.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue May 03, 2011 4:08 pm

legendaryyaj wrote:Honestly, if I was to start all over again with the knowledge I have now, I'd just get all the variations of the TD-Z and call it a day. That reel is just so hard to beat.
DING DING DING!!! The best suggestion yet... well...except for adding in a Pixzilla or two. 8-)

The best part is the basic TD Zs (100Ms and 103M/Hs) can be found used for around $250 or less depending on condition.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Tue May 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Just a reminder about the generations of reels being discussed. The current generation of Abu reels are a nice step up from the 09 stuff. I wish Abu had given them a different designation so it would be more clear about exactly what reel is being discussed. But they did not do that. So you need to filter on that one a bit.

My current generation Premier's throw light and heavy baits farther then my Curado 200E7. Add some wind, and it's no contest which I'd rather have in my hand. The new Abu DBS system is the best out there that I've used. You can turn either system all the way off, mix and match, whatever works best for you. Like having the best of both, or either, world.

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Wed May 04, 2011 1:39 am

Calico Killer Kevin wrote:Hard to beat the deals you can find on the Patriarch at the moment. Lots of reel for the price, better than the Curados IMO. Just a bit heavy.
The latest version of the Patriarch lost weight when they switched to a more conventional handle design. I suspect that most of the Patriarchs on sale have the old handle design. Check the Pflueger website to see what I mean. Most internet retailers are still displaying pictures with the old handle design. The newest Patriarch weighs 8 ounces vs 7.6 for the Curado, not much of a difference there. The old handle design Patriarch is listed at 8.4 ounces. The Revo stx is listed at 8.92 ounces and the Premier at 6.7 - just for reference.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri May 06, 2011 4:26 am

Tokugawa wrote:
legendaryyaj wrote:Honestly, if I was to start all over again with the knowledge I have now, I'd just get all the variations of the TD-Z and call it a day. That reel is just so hard to beat.
DING DING DING!!! The best suggestion yet... well...except for adding in a Pixzilla or two. 8-)

The best part is the basic TD Zs (100Ms and 103M/Hs) can be found used for around $250 or less depending on condition.
As good as the TDZ's are....they are just soooo hard to come by. When someone posts one on sale here at TT's its gone like in seconds. I have seen a few here and there on Ebay but they are asking way too much for it. So yes it makes sense to sugest the TDZ but like I said....its a rarity. I got tired of looking and waiting for TDZ's to be on sale and went with zillions instead.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri May 06, 2011 8:23 am

I think if you're dead set in a dual braking reel then you have to either look at the new offerings from Lews or Pflueger, I have a Pflueger Supreme casting reel thats a few years old now and they are discontinued but it is my flipping/pitching reel now, the only problem is the weight so based on the performance of that reel and looking at the patriarchs, I'd say you couldn't go wrong with it. I haven't fished with a Lews but I've handled the Tournament Pro and for the price it is solid and feels pretty refined plus it is light and has the multi setting brake system, other than those 2 I'm not sure what else can be had in the price range that has a dual braking system. Personally I don't fish Shimano reels but I'm in the camp of, if it isn't broke, don't fix it, so you may just be better off sticking to what you have.
Barlow's Tackle