Buying reels from e-bay stores

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Buying reels from e-bay stores

Post by kakaryan » Mon May 02, 2011 6:01 pm

Any of you would buy high end reel from ebay? For example a Steez?

I am thinking of getting a steez 2508 from ebay, I have had a look on there and price around $500USD seems reasonable to me.

As I am in Aus at the moment, if I got it locally it would cost me a $600 - 700 AUD ($700up USD) Much pricy. :roll:

I know it is likely that not covering by warrantee, and Daiwa Aus would not be willing to serve my reel, but I am going to leave Australia soon so it is not a big problem to me....whatever. :whistle:

I am quite confident to serve it myself, as I also serve my baitcast reels. But what I am wondering is if there is any screw that I cannot open myself? Without a special tool own by Daiwa?

I have heard that this is the case of the New 2010 certate, that makes you must post the reel back to Daiwa and only be served by them. While other mates said they still can get that tool to open the screw somewhere else. :-k

And how about ordering parts from Daiwa in the future? If I bought the steez from an US ebay store, and I leave Australia. Can I still order the parts from Daiwa US / Aus and ask them to post oversea? Do they need some kind of prove to sell the parts or so?

If not maybe I need to get parts from Exist instead. I always find ordering parts from Japan is easier for me.

Cheers. :big grin:

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Tue May 03, 2011 11:27 pm

Johnny A wrote:I think the UPC has the serial # or another form of identification.
Nope. The UPC was exactly the same on all 4 Premier's I bought. And all from different places. Which makes sense. If the UPC were different for each reel/product, stores would have a heck of time programming their point of sales computers. Talk about a massive database! :shock:

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed May 04, 2011 2:09 am

jeb wrote:
Johnny A wrote:I think the UPC has the serial # or another form of identification.
Nope. The UPC was exactly the same on all 4 Premier's I bought. And all from different places. Which makes sense. If the UPC were different for each reel/product, stores would have a heck of time programming their point of sales computers. Talk about a massive database! :shock:
Then honestly, WTF difference does it make! 8-)

jonahsdad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jonahsdad » Wed May 04, 2011 2:12 am

The decision is yours! Some of these ebayers also have stores, so you might see if they would give you the ebay price through the store. I've bought reels from 2 different ebay stores, and have had no problems either with the reels or customer service. But I've haven't had any problems with the reels either. I did look for stores that had high ratings and did quite a bit of selling. I understand some concerns about ebay, craigslist, etc. but I think a lot us are looking for a good deal, and whether good or bad, these sales sights do offer some good value. You could also contact your local tackle shop and ask them if they would accept a certain price. In this day and time, it's common to do this and they will either say yes, no, or this is what I will sell it for.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Wed May 04, 2011 3:21 am

I asked Bantam1 once if NIB Shimano reels that were purchased from Ebay were covered under the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. He told me that they were not covered. So that's something to think about.

I myself have bought some NIB Shimano reels from Ebay. They do come new as described and other than some routine maintenance, I haven't had any issues with them yet.

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:17 am

I remember Bantam saying that, but I've never heard of anyone being asked to send in their receipt with their reel, so Shimano has no other way of knowing where the reel came from.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:30 am

I do support our site sponsors with purchases other than that of reels. As much as I would like to for their part on Tackle Tour when it comes down to substantial cost differences I turn to ebay for my reels. I have purchased reels from ebay for probably close to 6 or 7 years now and have some of my favorites (sellers) I can trust to purchase from. From those individuals I can trust I am getting a new in box reel the same as buying from large retail or "etail" store. I do all my own maintenace and or repairs so warranty does not bother me not one bit. Most of the time when I had to call for small incidental wear item parts they just send em for free. For the few times I have had to pay for parts replacement compaired to the money ive saved is no compairison. In those 6 or 7 years parts cost have been VERY minimal. Which is a whole other topic of me not understanding why people spend their money which I consider a investment on buying start up company brands who have not been in the business for many years or in theory are cool but not proven. It puts you on the line for needing warrany or spending more money and lots of aggrivation on and off the water. Make safe purchases no matter what your dollar range is. Spend your money on proven brands of reels or models. Long story short for me I have saved hundreds over the years purchasing from ebay. Which has allowed me to make higher end purchases, upgrade the purchase with the savings or jus buy more tackle ! ... Tight lines ! ><> 8-)

flywatersmallie
Angler
Angler

Post by flywatersmallie » Thu May 05, 2011 3:46 am

I have bought reels several times off Ebay.... But its always been from the same pair of sellers. Both have a brick and morter store in their respective states (MN and GA) and both issue a store receipt with the order. Never a hitch with either. One was one of the new Pflueger Supreme XT spinning reels, no issue with the rebate from pure fishing either. Just be careful and remember the old adage "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is"
Get Bit Baits Pro Staff

Feedingseagulls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Feedingseagulls » Thu May 05, 2011 5:56 am

I did get burned by an ebay purchase from an individual when picking up a Revo Inshore.

It arrived, i did the usual eye & feel checks. No marks, good spin time, winding smoothly, drag fine, gear (dis)engagement all functioning well. So I gave positive feedback.

After a slightly prolonged wait for the braid I was intending to use, I started to load a little anti-slippage mono onto the spool ... only to find that it was being frayed. There appears to be an invisible fault in the line-guide. I'm just glad I hadn't passed some expensive Japanese 8-braid through it before finding out.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Thu May 05, 2011 1:17 pm

Was that reel advertised as NIB?

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Thu May 05, 2011 3:21 pm

There have been instances in Australia where people have bought Daiwa Exist and Saltigas from Ebay grey importers, or overseas and had problems with them. One Exist was sent to Daiwa for repair and found to have no internals fitted, but some items in the reel to make up the weight. Some Saltigas arrived at Daiwa for repair only to be found to have the incorrect gear sets fitted. Sadly, it's not just Ebay either. I bought two PE Zillions from a store that is not my usual supplier because they were cheap. I didn't notice until I was back in my home town and one reel was several thousand kilometres away that they didn't have the Australian 5 year warranty paperwork with them. I then found out that they were grey imports and not covered by Warranty. I believe the store I got them from is no longer an approved Daiwa retailer. As always caution should be used when buying anything that sounds too good to be true.

Feedingseagulls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Feedingseagulls » Thu May 05, 2011 8:14 pm

jeb wrote:Was that reel advertised as NIB?
Sorry - can't remember - and it's too long ago to check.