Buying reels from e-bay stores

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Buying reels from e-bay stores

Post by jiggerjake » Mon May 02, 2011 12:47 am

Wasn't sure were to ask this so Mods.can move it if need be.

When an Ebay store offers NIB reels for 1/3 of the price of retail (eg. $300 reel for $200 and free shipping) and they show quantity available 10+, were are they most likey getting these reels? Are they legit NIB or a factory blemish or something.Just wondering how they are able to turn a profit.Just don't want the hassle of having to return one,because its "almost" too good a deal to pass-up.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Buying reels from e-bay stores

Post by jeb » Mon May 02, 2011 1:20 am

That's actually 2/3 the cost in your example, not 1/3. If it was actually 1/3 NIB, I'd probably be more worried about the source. But there is a lot of profit margain in most reels, so ebay discounts of up to 1/3 or so is believeable. The NIB reels I've purchased from ebay came from tackle stores. So they get them the same way all the other dealers get them, I guess.

Keys when I look at ebay stuff is making sure the seller has at least a few thousand sales and their customer satisfaction rating is at least 99.9%.

PainInTheBass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PainInTheBass » Mon May 02, 2011 2:27 am

When you consider that many ebay sellers do not have the overhead costs associated with a storefront, and can , in fact, work from home in many cases, they have a larger profit margin, and can afford to sell at lower prices, and still turn a profit.
My fishing antics @ paininthebass.blogspot.com

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:43 am

I have ordered several E7s and just ordered a couple of Citicas for my brother in law...They are legit (check their feedback scores for legit dealers)...I can tell you, having a pretty good idea of Shimano "cost," the dealer on the Citicas is making less than $10 per reel after shipping. Not worth most people's time to sell at this margin...

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon May 02, 2011 3:10 am

Large manufacturers like Shimano, Daiwa, Pure Fishing, etc., have what they call MAP (minimum advertised pricing). This is a supposed control measure to ensure fair competition amongst legitimate retailers. Retailers advertising prices below MAP run the risk of being cut off from manufacturers should a manufacturer decide to enforce the control.

Some retailers use eBay as a clearing house, some get their stock from non-legitimate sources (grey market, seconds, etc.) ... in either case, these below MAP priced items are not approved and if tracking measures are in place and you purchase an item from any of these sources, you as the consumer, run the risk of purchasing an item with zero warranty support.

Those familiar with purchasing items from overseas are used to being in this position. Others may not. You need to be aware of this possibility.

I was at Hi's Tackle Box, my local tackle store, about a month ago, maybe less? When a customer came in with a damaged reel they had purchased new at extreme discount off of eBay. The reel had been damaged. I don't recall how the staff at Hi's knew or found out the reel was purchased off of eBay, and from whom, but after some phone calls, the customer was denied warranty repair by both the shop, and Shimano USA. It turned out to be a grey market reel. True story.

And contrary to JEB's statement, there is not a lot of margin on fishing reels. Generally dealer cost is in the 65% - 70% of MAP range. Normal markup from costs in other industries for general retail items usually starts around 50%.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon May 02, 2011 4:01 am

To take Cal's post a bit further, Abu Garcia will not honor promotional requests for reels purchased off ebay. I'm sure serial #s are involved with that.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Mon May 02, 2011 4:10 am

i've bought a couple reels over the years and never had a problem but i also stuck with the same seller on all my reels

georgeweeber
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by georgeweeber » Mon May 02, 2011 6:47 am

I have purchased six E7s from ebay stores and have never had a problem. I always purchase from a seller that has very good feedback.

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Mon May 02, 2011 7:20 am

Very good advice about using a reseller with high transaction counts and satisfaction rating. I bought a reel from a small reseller and it was not quite as cosmetically pristine as described, but the reel has given years of great service. An identical reel purchased from an individual in FL with a scanty record was a scam and I lost $200. :-({|=
TB

Basswrangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basswrangler » Mon May 02, 2011 7:30 am

I purchased my last three reels off ebay. They were all Abu reels and all retailed for $280. Got 1 for $196 (premier) and two toros for $172 and $176. A hundred dollars off retail is definitely believable. So far I have had zero problems, however here are some tips imo
-check feedback and make sure its high with thousands of orders
-pay with paypal, so you can get a refund if the reel is a defect or something
-inspect the reel closely as soon as you get it
-if you buy off of Ebay you should probably be your own reel mechanic, this way warranties aren't as big of a deal, just be prepared to pay for replacement parts.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon May 02, 2011 7:43 am

Johnny A wrote:To take Cal's post a bit further, Abu Garcia will not honor promotional requests for reels purchased off ebay. I'm sure serial #s are involved with that.
No, not serial numbers. They just want a copy of the original reciept, at least for the promotions I've taken advantage of on AG products. And AG didn't even ask for that when I sent in my SX reel late last year, which I'd purchased at a brick and mortar store for more than 50% off. They just sent me a brand new one.

Maybe 65% of MAP is not considered "a lot" of markup in the fishing world, but my point was that someone could purchase a reel legitimately, sell for about 1/3 off on ebay, and not necessarily be selling it at a loss.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon May 02, 2011 8:27 am

jeb wrote:
Johnny A wrote:To take Cal's post a bit further, Abu Garcia will not honor promotional requests for reels purchased off ebay. I'm sure serial #s are involved with that.
No, not serial numbers. They just want a copy of the original reciept, at least for the promotions I've taken advantage of on AG products. And AG didn't even ask for that when I sent in my SX reel late last year, which I'd purchased at a brick and mortar store for more than 50% off. They just sent me a brand new one.

Maybe 65% of MAP is not considered "a lot" of markup in the fishing world, but my point was that someone could purchase a reel legitimately, sell for about 1/3 off on ebay, and not necessarily be selling it at a loss.
It was probably the receipt w/UPC for the sunglasses.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon May 02, 2011 10:25 am

Could have been. I don't remember cutting the UPC off the box, but it's possible. Seems like I just had to write the UPC number on the form. I do know for sure there was nothing about SN's, though.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon May 02, 2011 12:50 pm

jeb wrote:Could have been. I don't remember cutting the UPC off the box, but it's possible. Seems like I just had to write the UPC number on the form. I do know for sure there was nothing about SN's, though.
Yeah, right. Provide the UPC on the form. I think the UPC has the serial # or another form of identification.

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Mon May 02, 2011 2:36 pm

jeb wrote:That's actually 2/3 the cost in your example, not 1/3. If it was actually 1/3 NIB, I'd probably be more worried about the source. But there is a lot of profit margain in most reels, so ebay discounts of up to 1/3 or so is believeable. The NIB reels I've purchased from ebay came from tackle stores. So they get them the same way all the other dealers get them, I guess.

Keys when I look at ebay stuff is making sure the seller has at least a few thousand sales and their customer satisfaction rating is at least 99.9%.
Sorry my question should have been about being 1/3 "off" the price not 1/3 "of" the price.I would have my reels on their way already if that were the case! Thanks guys,sounds legit and the seller looks good.