Reel for Punching

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
FishBlock
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Reel for Punching

Post by FishBlock » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:45 am

Hi, I want to start punching mats this year. Looking for a reel that would handle all the rigorous strain of those donkeys pulling under heavy vegetation. Right now i am looking at the Abu Revo STX and Curado 201 E7. I need some help, thanks.

captainhookset
Angler
Angler

Re: Reel for Punching

Post by captainhookset » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:37 am

Honestly, I would go with a Revo Winch. I know everyones prevailing thought is you need a faster gear ratio to take up line, but i disagree. You need power. You need drag. The winch is going to be able to keep the handles turning even when you have 20lbs of wet grass on top of your 4lber.

What a difference it made when i took my winch off my crank rod and put it on my punching stick. The reservoir I fish is filled to the brim with grass by the middle/end of may, so punching and frogging and two things I can actually say I feel confident in. Fast gear ratios generally mean less power, and that isn't good. You don't need to take up THAT much line, as most of the time you are so damn close to where you threw the lure. (10-15 feet in front of you usually?)

Thats my advice. Revo Winch. Winch em out of there.

Good luck.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:04 pm

I use a Curado 200E7 for both frogging & punching with 65lb braid. I think that line pick up is important. When they are aggressively biting, they'll take the bait sideways under the mat, often toward deep water. That can result in a slack line hookset if you don't reel down quickly. I don't have any problems getting the fish to the boat.

I don't have the current generation of STX. From everything I've heard/read, they are a improvement. I did have STX & Premier reels before. Switched over to Shimano & never looked back.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:26 pm

daiwa z2020

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:45 pm

FishBlock wrote:Hi, I want to start punching mats this year. Looking for a reel that would handle all the rigorous strain of those donkeys pulling under heavy vegetation. Right now i am looking at the Abu Revo STX and Curado 201 E7. I need some help, thanks.
I use a Zillion Type R.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:45 pm

i have two punching combos. i use a td-z 105hl on one and a curado 201e7 on the other. i think my son uses an stx or a zillion on his.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:43 am

e_bassfisher wrote:daiwa z2020
O yeah :D
Happiness is a sore thumb

FishBlock
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishBlock » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:54 pm

such a tough decision, i will let you guys know which reel i get. thanks for the great advices.

EJP1234
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by EJP1234 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:09 pm

I second the low gear ratio. I flip matts from April until November and I won't touch a 7:3:1 anymore, they don't have the grunt.