Stradic C14 or Pflueger Patriarch (Spinning)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
nookinbass
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Stradic C14 or Pflueger Patriarch (Spinning)

Post by nookinbass » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:50 am

I'm new to TT and I'm sure there has been a lot of conversation on these two reels, if so I apologize. I'm having trouble choosing between these two reels and was looking for some help from you guys. Any experience with these reels helps. And I normally choose a 2500 size and was looking to maybe drop to smaller (1000) or relative in Pflueger's sizing. I normally fish 8lb line for bass and walleye. Thanks alot in advance!

mizushinobi
Angler
Angler

Re: Stradic C14 or Pflueger Patriarch (Spinning)

Post by mizushinobi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:17 am

i use a 2500 Ci4 a lot. its light, its smooth, its just an all around reel.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:10 am

I haven't held a Patriarch yet, but I have 2 Ci4s and love them. They are smooth and light with a nice smooth drag.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:48 am

Nothing at all against the Pflueger, but my vote goes to the Stradic also. Light, plenty of power, and a fairly good looking reel to boot!
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:11 pm

I've been fishing a Stradic CI4 1000ML the past month and so far, no complaints. It seems like a nice reel at $200 price point, although not having a spare spool is just stupid IMO. It's okay on a $50 reel, but not on something in this range. :doh: I got my 1000ML through a trade with a store that doesn't carry Pflueger's or I might have picked up Patriarch or Supreme XT instead, just to try it out.

I did have a 2500 last year and didn't like it as much as my first generation Fuego's spinners. It didn't feel as smooth or as powerful on the retrieve. I know there is some difference in price between the two, but I was just underwhelmed by the 2500.

If I were you, I'd try to handle both and put them on whatever rod you are planning to use it to get a better idea ot what you want.

Peacheater81
Angler
Angler

Post by Peacheater81 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:02 am

I am loving my Patriarch. Almost got the C14, but I found a brand new Patriarch for $150. Can't go wrong with either.

ma_fisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ma_fisherman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:32 pm

I own both a ci4 and a patriarch. The ci4 is a size 3000 that i use for bass fishing and the patriarch is a size 25 that i use for stream fishing trout. You mention you are considering trying a smaller size series reel then you have used in the past(a 1000 ci4 or pflueger equivalent which would be roughly the 25 i own). since you say you will be using this reel for bass and walleye (with 8lb) i would recommend against this. If you choose the shimano get either the 2500 or 3000. the 3000 is the same size body but has a bigger spool and has the power knob. If you get the pflueger then i would get the 35. The 30 will not have the max drag you may be looking for. It is only rated at 8 lbs....the same as the size 25 i own and if you read the review here on tt they tested the drag on the 30 not at the 8lbs pflueger claims but around 6lbs. The good thing is the carbon fiber drag system is smooth as can be. I would still choose the ci4 i think speaking from experience but it is pretty close i will admit. try to check them both out for yourself if possible. good luck.

olamagic
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by olamagic » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:14 am

Do as I did , buy both , great reels , especially when you buy them when on sale. :D

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:15 am

I know they claim the Shimano is carbon fiber, but it's mostly plastic and flexes quite a bit compared to a metal rotor. The metal (magnesium) rotor of the Patriarch will make it more sensitive, and could possibly lead to a smoother drag. With that said, line stretch and the rod might make a bigger difference in sensitivity.

But the Shimano may hold up longer. The Shimanos' are very tough overall.

Edit - almost forgot... the Shimanos have a higher gear ratio. The Pflueger will seem smoother because of it's lower gear ratio.

ma_fisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ma_fisherman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:57 am

snyder rods make a fair point about the carbon interfusion material used with the ci4. I have noticed myself and had others remark to me that it looks "plasticy". I sometimes find it hard to believe it is as solid a material as they claim, however, i have not really noticed any flex or give with the rotor though i am not sure if i would even notice. Certainly the magnesium the patriarch is built with is more metally and doesnt look plasticy like the ci4 material. The downside to being a metal is of course the possibility for corrosion though this fear is minimal for me. Generally speaking i have found that if i take care of my reels and store them properly then corrosion is not an issue. so many ways to compare these two reels....what the heck, just get em both and forget about it. Really i think at the 200 price point you cant go wrong with either. take care.

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:52 pm

TT did a review of both reels. Personally the Ci4 is nice for the money you can get them for $150 if you shop around.

cant comment on the pflueger.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

Aristotle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Aristotle » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:19 am

I have the patirarch 25 and a CI4 2500.

I like the fast gear ratio of the CI4, but I haven't been as impressed with it's smoothness out of the box. But when I have actually fished with the CI4 I have not noticed any problems or rougness in the reel. I have not noticed any flex in the reel either, but so far I have only caught some 2-3 lbs white bass on the reel. I am not worried about reel flex at all with the reel. I believe that I like the line management on the CI4 better than the Patriarch.

The Patrirach is just a cool little reel that looks tricked out and performs well. I would defintely suggest going to a larger reel than the 25 if you plan on using 8lbs line . . . 4lbs line is the max I would use on the 25 (the size 25 spool is slightly smaller than the 40mm diameter spool of the CI4 1000 series reel).

On that note, I would move up to a 2500 or 3000 CI4 if I was planning on using 8lbs test.

I don't think you will regret either purchase, and I would probably choose on your preference of gear ratio and cosmetics with the rod you plan on using with the reel.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:12 am

I think for #8 the Ci4 I would buy the 2500 its light and small and give you more options, just my opinion. I like my Ci4 2500 and have it matched to a 7'6 cumura

ec1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ec1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:33 am

The only reason why I would tell you to support the Pflueger is because Shimano USDM is CHEAP!

It was reported from the beginning that there was a whirring sound with the CI4, which isn't a big deal.....But when I held the JDM version of the Ci4 (Rarenium), it doesn't have ANY of the whirring sounds....

So either the USDM one has bad QC, or they just didn't put in as much thought into the reel as they did with its JDM counterpart.

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:49 am

Sold my 2500 CI4, and bought 2 new model Patriarchs!

I think I did good :big grin: